Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#679965 - 04/04/02 11:12 AM Yamaha PSR-520 and Midi connection/setup
Teri Offline

Loc: Utah
Hello,

Do any of you know if you can hook a keyboard up with midi cables to a USB port? I've never seen the proper connectors for that.

We built a new computer with an SB Audigy soundcard, and now I'm not offered the MPU-401 driver for MIDI In/Out like on my older computer and cannot get sound coming from the keyboard and the computer speakers at the same time, like I used to. I've narrowed the problem down to the soundcard and the keyboard connection, not the Win operating system. I found a Roland MPU-401 emulation driver on the web, but it says you have to hook into a USB port.

Any thoughts? The keyboard is prepped properly to receive and send data. Thanks for your help and advice in advance. I appreciate it.

Regards. Teri

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#679966 - 04/05/02 01:19 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-520 and Midi connection/setup
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Hi Teri,
There are plenty of USB MIDI interfaces available. (I use one with my Mac)

I prefer the units made by Mark of the Unicorn (www.motu.com), but there are plenty of other manufacturers that make them.

One note: You do NOT need an expensive unit to connect to your keyboard. MIDI interfaces come in all shapes and sizes with various features. However it sounds like you need a very basic unit and should be able to pick on up for under $75.

#679967 - 04/05/02 08:26 PM Re: Yamaha PSR-520 and Midi connection/setup
Teri Offline

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your help. I will check that website out that you suggested.

If I could ask you another question, since you seem to be working with midi also----

Do you get sound output from both your speakers on your computer and your keyboard at the same time? That is the way it worked with my older IBM Aptiva computer with Win 95 and a Crystal Pnp Codec sound card----hooking into a midi/game port
(parallel). I am using the same software, Encore 4.2.1 on this new computer, but I can't get the sound out both at the same time-----just one or the other! It doesn't matter how I set the midi ports up, and combination produces one or the other. I prefer both because I only have hearing in one ear----and a little like Beethoven, I crave more sound! I was wondering if it was supposed to work that way or not; I didn't encounter any differences until we built this new computer with this Audigy card.

Thanks again for you input! I am a musician, not a computer/electonics tech by the least! ;\)

Regards. Teri

#679968 - 04/06/02 09:31 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-520 and Midi connection/setup
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Hi Teri
I don't know anything about your sound cards, so my comments are somewhat general:

It's important to note that "sound" is not part of MIDI. MIDI is a set of instructions that gets passed from one device to another. If your sound card contains a MIDI tone module, then it's possible to connect your keyboard to your sound card via MIDI. In that case, you'd get sound from your keyboard and[/b] your computer (although you'd hear different instruments). If your sound card does contain a sound set, then it seems to me that it's an issue of getting the right "drivers" for that sound card.

Maybe one of the PC guys on the board can step in and add something further?

#679969 - 04/06/02 10:34 AM Re: Yamaha PSR-520 and Midi connection/setup
Teri Offline

Hi Steve, again!

Thanks for the information. The soundcard I'm using is the Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum. I have downloaded any and all the drivers from Creative that are available, that work with Win 98 Se which is the system I'm using.

The only thing Creative support can tell me is that some software requires a "Smart" MPU and that the Audigy is a "Dumb" MPU. I haven't figured out yet whether this is affecting the whole sound process or not. My software is a 1997 version, and the new upgrade is only for Win 2000 and XP. My version was released in 1995, and an upgrade (my version) in 1997, and I think Win 98 Se is just kind of in between. The company who sold Encore (Passport) sold out (to G-Vox), and with none of their original programmers on board, the new company develped their "own" upgrade, and are not supporting this older version right now, they are busy marketing their new release--hence I can't get them to answer any of my quesitons!

On my old system the keyboard and midi setup ran with a Roland MPU-401 driver, which is not available on the Audigy card. As I stated, I found an emulation on the web--but it said you had to be hooked into a USB port to install it.
I'm not sure that will solve my problem, but I am hoping it will. The Audigy card IS midi compatible, but I'm not sure about the issue you brought up. I'll e-mail Creative support and ask them! Thanks again for all your suggestions. The Audigy is a rather expensive card with extra goodies like a SPDIF In & OUT, an extra midi connection on the front panel, and a mic support and Aux. In & Out and more. I would think it has everything I need--but then my in-expertise in technical issues may be contributing.

I'd appreciate an PC user's advice if they may have any ideas for troubleshooting. I've exhausted everything I can think of here!

Regards. Teri

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Real piano makes star happy, Agree? Disagree?
by Sand Tiger
09/20/14 03:09 PM
Tips for Reducing Key Noise
by Dwscamel
09/20/14 02:25 PM
DVD recording
by jtattoo
09/20/14 12:45 PM
upgrade from Kawai CN34 to CA65 - how much to pay
by khopin
09/20/14 12:39 PM
Seiler 186 Maestro Grand
by Sam4
09/20/14 12:13 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (ando, 36251, 36 invisible), 1446 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157645 Topics
2315566 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission