Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#680198 - 06/23/02 07:41 PM best digital piano without fancy features???
liaos Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hi! There:

I am a pianist who is looking for the best digital piano.

I have been playing over 2 decades, and care a lot about the touch/feel/action/sound of the digital piano.

However, most of the models out there offer many fancy features that I am not interested in at all, so I don't want to pay extra for the features that I don't need.

So, which is the best digital piano with outstanding, realistic touch and sound, yet doesn't have the bells and whistles that I don't need?

Thanks for your reply.

Sabrina

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#680199 - 06/28/02 03:19 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
Dave S Offline

Loc: Houston TX
You did not say what your budget or purpose for this instrument would be.

I am a piano dealer who does not sale digital pianos, so I have no hidden agenda. If you were willing to spend around $3,000, I would strongly urge you to check out the new General Music Promega 3. This thing is a monster and quite easy to use. Here is a link www.generalmusic.com
These are built like tanks and I believe have the longest warranty in the business of digital pianos. Good luck to you. \:\)
World Crisis' Solved in Ten Minutes or Less!

#680200 - 06/28/02 04:50 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I've not played the Promega 3, but to me it seems to be everything Liaos is NOT looking for -- lots of bells & whistles.

I'd recommend the Roland RD700, the SRX-02 Concert Piano expansion board, a sturdy Quik-Lok stand, and some powered speakers such as the KRK V6's, V8's or the Mackie HD6 or HD8. You should be able to get the whole package for around $4000. If your budget is tight, there are less expensive speakers available and you may want to add the expansion board later.

Hope this helps.

#680201 - 06/29/02 01:12 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
Dave S Offline

Actually the Promega 3 is an extremely easy instrument to operate. It is designed for performance and simplicity. The controls on the front panel are clearly marked and self-expanatory (like eq & such). Don't let the knobs and faders fool you. They are there to make life easy! \:\)

The Roland RD 700 is indeed a nice instrument. \:\) However, the Promega is actually a bit easier to use and features a much more advanced method for capturing the complex sound of an acoustic piano than anything that has existed before. Quite amazing really.

#680202 - 06/29/02 05:17 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm anxious to hear the Promega's modeled acoustic piano. I'm somewhat skeptical though as I've never been particularly impressed with the sonic quality of the General Music products. I still think that it's more advanced than what Sabrina was looking for. I can't see how a hybrid PCM/acoustic modeling keyboard can be described as being without bells/whistles.

#680203 - 06/29/02 06:42 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
Dave S Offline

Steve you would love it! \:\) We both share a love for Roland products. The reason I am suggesting it is because the sound is awesome and the most accurate representation of a real grand that I have ever heard. It is also an extremely easy to use keyboard. The hardest thing about it is flicking the power switch on \:D . That is why I am recommending it so highly.

Being an acoustic piano snob I usually hate sampled digital pianos, and I would be the first to say that there still isn't anything like the real thing. Because I am so anal retentive about piano sound, if I were to play regulary in a live band the Promega would be my instrument of choice. Even with my extreme acoustic piano snobbery I still don't want to haul a 800 lb. grand around.

Incidently Steve, have you checked out many of the software synths? I've been messing around with Reason and have discovered my old love of synthesizer music again!!

#680204 - 06/29/02 08:08 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave,
I don't know you, but because of you I will look for an opportunity to play the Promega. Thanks for being patient with my skepticism. I'm currently fairly partial to my XV88 (with concert piano expansion board of course) at the moment, but there's always room for a new toy. ;\)

Out of curiosity, where have you seen one? I'm not even sure who's carrying General Music products these days?

As for the software synths, I have the B4 from Native Instruments as well as Stylus from Spectrasonics. I think Reason will be my next purchase. I've messed around with some others, but haven't yet found one that I'm all that crazy about. If you're into "pad" sounds, Spectrasonics is coming out with another virtual instrument called "Atmosphere" later this year. I messed around with a beta version and it's really incredible!!! Can't wait...

#680205 - 06/29/02 10:23 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Dave

Is the Pro Mega 3 available in the States? I read some rave reviews of it last fall, but I've yet to find it anywhere so I could try it out?? \:\(

#680206 - 06/30/02 02:00 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
liaos Offline

Hi! Guys:

Thanks for the information. I truly appreciate for your help! ^_^ I will see if I can get my hands on both the Roland RD700 and ProMega3 and try them out.

BTW, it seems that everyone recommends Roland, so is Roland the leader in the digital piano industry?

One more question though, both models seem to have great piano sound, but do they also play and feel and react like a piano when played? I need a digital piano that allows me to play my music expressively.... I've tried few lower end Roland products like HP137, but I am not satisfied with the sound and the touch.....it sounds too digital and loud to me..... I just hope to find a digital piano that can play like an acoustic piano.

Again, thanks. ^_^

Sabrina

#680207 - 06/30/02 02:23 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
liaos Offline

BTW, my current budget is $1500 for a good upright digital piano.

However, when I see the photos of these petite grand digital pianos such as (Viscount Concerto http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=33547 and Yamaha CLP-955), I must admit I am tempted by the elegant look. ^_^ Do you think it is worth it to pay almost twice as much and get a petite grand?

Has anyone have experience playing these grand pianos? And which one would you recommend?

Sabrina

#680208 - 06/30/02 06:44 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
Dave S Offline

Liaos,

You should go out and try out some of the lower priced Rolands with weighted action. In that price range they are hard to beat.

Being a self-professed piano snob, I would suggest that nothing is really like the real thing but if you can deal with the digital weighted actions you can certainly get by. \:\)

#680209 - 06/30/02 06:53 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
Dave S Offline

Netizen,
One of my friends has a Promega. I'll see if I can find out how he acquired it and from whom. \:\) \:\)

Steve Y, I'll have to try out the spectrasonics stuff. It certainly looks interesting. I also have the Native Instruments B4. Its the closest thing to the real B3 I have ever played! Also I have the Native Instruments Pro 52 and the PPG wave synth from Waldorf. Love them all! Right now Reason is my favorite. It is not as big of a cpu hog and since everything is integrated the timing on it is amazing. \:\)

#680210 - 07/01/02 10:56 AM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Right now Reason is my favorite. It is not as big of a cpu hog and since everything is integrated the timing on it is amazing.
What box are you running Reason on? OS? RAM? What do you typically use it for?

#680211 - 07/01/02 11:04 AM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
BTW, my current budget is $1500 for a good upright digital piano.
However, when I see the photos of these petite grand digital pianos such as (Viscount Concerto http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=33547 and Yamaha CLP-955), I must admit I am tempted by the elegant look. ^_^ Do you think it is worth it to pay almost twice as much and get a petite grand?
You may or may not be satisfied with what is available for $1500. Dave and I have been steering you toward some straight-forward (no bells/whistles) professional keyboards. However, your budget would get you into the entry-level keyboards only. They're still professional keyboards, but not the best sound/feel, etc. But this is entirely relative as a $1200 keyboard purchased today sounds significantly better than a $4500 keyboard purchased five years ago.

Your comments about the Viscount seem to indicate that you're not entirely sure what you're looking for. I'd suggest that you just get out and play anything you can, although I suspect that your budget may limit you in the end.

As for brands, I'm somewhat biased in that I would prefer to stick with a manufacturer that has a strong reputation in the professional world. I'm somewhat distrustful of some of these lesser-known companies that are virtual no-shows in the professional arena. Manufacturers I'd feel good about would be: Roland, Yamaha, Korg and to a slightly lesser degree, Kurzweil, Alesis and General Music.

#680212 - 07/01/02 11:29 AM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
Dave S Offline

SteveY,

I am currently running Reason with Windows ME ( yeech & yuck) on an 850 mhz AMD Athlon and 512 mb of ram. I am considering upgrading my studio with a new dual processor Mac because Reason supports OS X and dual processor capability and I am sick to death of dealing with Windows!

I also have the Paris Pro (ever heard of it?) which is a high-end 24 bit audio recording package with some of the warmest sounding converters out there. Paris is also compatable with Mac OS 9 and I am waiting for support with OS X before making the big jump. After that, I will be free, ayeah hallelujah amen and amen from the bondage and scourge of Bill Gates!!! \:D \:D \:D

#680213 - 07/01/02 02:02 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
liaos Offline

Hi! Steve:

Actually, my budget is somwhat flexible, so I definitely will not get an entry-level piano if that's $1500 can only get.

However, I did find sites such as music123 and pianodepot that offer pianos that are $2000+ retail price but sell for only $1600+........

In fact, my roommate just got herself a Roland HP137, since she just starts to learn piano, I guess that is good enough for her.

However, I did notice that I can't play expressively on her piano, and the bass always, always sound louder than the right hand... plus, too much reverb/echo even though she has changed the setting to minimum reverb.

I'm not quite sure what piano I should get, but at least, I know what I don't want to get... ^_^

In the meanwhile, I agree with your point, and I will try to stick with the mainstream piano such Roland and Yamaha then.

Thanks.
Sabrina

#680214 - 07/01/02 03:04 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I am considering upgrading my studio with a new dual processor Mac because Reason supports OS X and dual processor capability and I am sick to death of dealing with Windows!
I also have the Paris Pro (ever heard of it?) which is a high-end 24 bit audio recording package with some of the warmest sounding converters out there. Paris is also compatable with Mac OS 9 and I am waiting for support with OS X before making the big jump.
If you're going to upgrade to a Mac, I'd consider waiting until the end of July. MacWorld is later this month and this is traditionally where the new Macs are introduced.
As for Paris, I was unaware that there was going to be OS X support from Emu. I was under the impression that Paris was dead.
Also, if you haven't already heard, you might be interested to know that Apple Computer bought Emagic today. Kind of makes me rethink whether I want to stay with Digital Performer...

#680215 - 07/01/02 05:55 PM Re: best digital piano without fancy features???
Dave S Offline

Thanks for the Mac tip Steve. I will upgrade from Windows (by taking my Windows equipped machine and throwing it lovingly in an acid pit or landfill) in the fall.

E-mu has indeed discontinued the Paris system. However, the Paris Users groups are as avid (rabbid too) as Mac users are. \:D Several of the users are continuing on with Paris developement. A friend of mine has even designed new hardware modules for the Paris MEC. It isn't quite dead yet. www.greatidea.com/paris

Emagic is an amazing program, but I would think that you would be better off to stay with the Digital Performer...no? Maybe that is because I'm lazy and hate to learn new software!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, 36251, 88 Fingers Jeff, *windowlicker*, 44 invisible), 1347 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156818 Topics
2304220 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
Today at 07:38 PM
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
Today at 06:43 PM
Cloud piano
by Bosendorff
Today at 06:35 PM
How many years?
by schumoney
Today at 06:30 PM
Schubert 4-hands
by frida11
Today at 04:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission