Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#680452 - 12/10/05 02:08 PM Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

Hi,

first of all sorry for my bad english. I'm from Germany...)

I went to a music store to buy a digital piano in the lower to middle price range (I had classical training but am not very good and am now mostly playing for fun).

I tested the CLP 115 and the Casio AP 45 there. Somehow there was something in the sound of the CLP that annoyed me but since I liked the Casio sound even less and I really liked the action of the Yamaha I bought it there (the shop is not in my home town and I just went there for a day, so I had to make a decision). I also asked them about the Kawai CN2 and they said I could order it but they didn't have it there in the shop. The salesman told me that he didn't like the action of that piano very much.

Now I have the Yamaha at home and somehow I'm having a hard time with the sound. Don't get me wrong, the overall sound is great, but there's something in the reverb sound that's strange. It's most noticeable in the higher notes (G4 for example). It's as if the overtones are too dominant and sound "synthetically" somehow (like a mere sine waveform).

I could still send it back so I'd like some opinions on the Kawai CN2 because this would be my only other joice now. So this would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Tobias

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#680453 - 12/11/05 12:21 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
if you're thinking about CLP, then don't get CLP115 which is the lowest end model of the sort and not even being updated to CLP200 series. you'd better off to add a few hundred $$ to get a better CLP model (at least CLP120/130 or even CLP230 and above).

btw, i tested a couple of Kawai models and found the action on those are much lighter than Yamaha's, which i prefer. i don't know this particular model though.

sorry, i didn't know you've already got CLP115 (after re-read your post). i'd send it back and exchange for a CLP120 or above model which has much better sound!

#680454 - 12/11/05 04:29 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply. I played the CLP 230 and while I liked it a little better I still had the same feeling about the sound I described above. Also, the CLP 230 would cost 500€ more which is more than I can afford at the moment (I'm still a university student).

Tobias

#680455 - 12/11/05 05:00 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

One more thing: it does sound slightly better when I play with headphones. But still there's this annoying reverb sound. I think it's some kind of digital effect. The reverb effects (hall, stage, etc.) also annoy me but this other sound stays there when I turn them off. It's most evident when I play an accord loudly and hold the pedal. There's the effect described above and in the end there's a sound I'd describe as kind of a hiss...

Tobias

#680456 - 12/11/05 10:10 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

with headphone, you should definitely turn reverb off.

btw, can you exchange it to a CLP120 at least? also, CLP230 is a new model with GH3 keyboard which would cost more for sure.

#680457 - 12/12/05 03:15 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

Hi,

I don't think, the CLP120 is available anymore. I couldn't find it in any shops and it's not listed on the Yamaha Germany Homepage anymore. But a friend of mine has it (I only learned about this yesterday) and I played it yesterday and don't think that I'm missing anything there. Well, it has better polyphony but that doesn't really bother me. You can also adjust the brilliance of the sound and some other things and it has buttons for the settings instead of key combinations and MAYBE the speakers are a little better (though they are also only 20W). But it didn't sound differently and I'd have the same concerns with it as I have with mine. And I don't think I'd need all the settings it provides.

The only available alternative from Yamaha in my price range would be the CLP 220 but this seems to be exactly like the CLP 115, except for the recording function and the extended polyphony.

So, I think if nobody here can comment on the Kawai CN2 I will try to find a shop where I can test this, then maybe also consider the CLP 230 again even though I don't think I can afford it and otherwise settle for the 115. It's not that bad... I'd just like to know that I could do no better in this price range. \:\)

Thanks again.

Tobias

#680458 - 12/12/05 06:32 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
gilad Offline

Loc: south africa
i'm not sure about the price off hand, but what about getting a p 250 intead? i'd rather choose a better piano sound over the cabinet.

#680459 - 12/12/05 07:10 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

The P250 is more than twice the price of the CLP115 from what I can see...

Tobias

#680460 - 12/12/05 05:33 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
gilad Offline

woopsy, sorry tobias ;\) . have you tested the higher end yamahas? if you did test them did you hear that annoying sound? just curious.
I'd say you definitely should go find a kawai cn2 to test you might prefer it. i'm not familiar with kawai so i'm sorry i can't give you any informaton on it.

#680461 - 12/13/05 01:11 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

Yeah, I played on the CLP 230 for a while and while it did sound better I kind of felt the same about the sound.

I will drive to a different town today where I can play the Kawai CN3 which seems to be identical to the CN2 as far as sound and action goes (it just has more buttons, settings and effects). I guess they will also have some higher end Yamahas there. I hope this will help me make up my mind.

But thanks for all your replies. They are still very much appreciated.

Tobias

#680462 - 12/13/05 12:38 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

Now I played the CN3 and I have to say I totally agree with the salesman that sold me the CLP 115. While I slightly preferred the sound of the CN3 over the CLP 115, the action just isn't as good. It feels too soft somehow.

I also played the CLP 230 and the CLP 270 and came to the same conclusions again: I like the action much better than on the CLP 115 and the sample also sounds better. But the "overtones problem" is still there for me.

Finally I played the CA5 by Kawai and this is really a wonderful instrument. I like the sound of it best of all the digital pianos I have played yet. But I just don't have the addtional 1000€ to buy it.

So I guess I will keep the CLP 115 even though I'd prefer the CLP 230 or even the CA5. But already 600€ more for the CLP 230 don't seem to be worth it for me. I guess I will buy another one a couple of years from now when the technology is even further refined and I'm earning my own money. \:\)

Thanks for all your help!

#680463 - 12/13/05 10:15 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
John WI Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
You might want to check out the Kawai CN4. I recently bought one and like it quite a bit. I think it is between the CN3 and the CA5 in quality and price.

#680464 - 12/14/05 03:20 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

Hi,

well, as I didn't like the keyboard of the CN3 compared to the CLP 115 I don't think I will like the CN4 any more because according to one of the Kawai guys it has the same keyboard and action. And since it is more expensive than the CLP-230 I guess I would first consider buying this. But thanks anyway. \:\)

Tobias

#680465 - 12/14/05 04:30 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Schizo Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi Tobias,

Why aren't you going for a Roland digital of the HP series? Even the HP101 (beginners model) I found more attractive than the CLP115. I have also tried the Kawai CN2, but I found the sound very "light", I guess due to the speakers. The CLP115 (in my opinion) is not playing like a real piano. The sound of Roland is more warm and romantic, but it is very subjective.

-Krista

#680466 - 12/27/05 05:53 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
JBS Offline

Loc: Freiburg, Germany
Hi Tobias,

I found the CLP-115 to be the best compromise for under 900 €. Compared it to Kawai CN-20, Casio PX-110, Yamaha P-60, Suzuki SS-90/SS-100. I have the same "overtone issue", but I can live with it. The Kawai sound on headphones was not tolerable to me, sounded artificial(or let´s say more artificial than Yamaha´s...). So did you keep your CLP-115?

Jochen

#680467 - 12/27/05 08:23 PM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

i'd rather buy a CLP230 than a CLP115 (the lowest end and sort of outdated model), even though it would mean i'd save money for little longer. it's worthy it to get a CLP230 instead, especially for its GH3 action.

#680468 - 01/07/06 03:40 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Tobias Offline

Yeah, I kept the clp 115. I got used to the sound. At the moment I have more of a problem with the action which is quite stiff which is nice in the beginning but bothers me after a while of playing. But I guess I will get used to it. I think it was the right decision. It was not that expensive and I guess I will buy a new and better digital or even a real piano once I'm having an income.

Tobias

#680469 - 01/07/06 05:05 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
gilad Offline

good to hear you came right.

#680470 - 12/29/06 12:10 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
rob1261 Offline

Loc: philadelphia, pa, usa
After a lot of research and shopping for a good entry level Digital Piano that sounded and felt good, I ended up with the Kawai CN2.

The more I play it the more impressed I am with it. It can be bought for about $1000 US.

The salesperson and I both agreed the Grand Piano sound was better on the CN2 then the CN3.

I would recommend the CN2 over the CLP-220 and it is cheaper.

The CLP-230 is a different story but more expensive.

#680471 - 12/29/06 03:46 AM Re: Yamaha CLP 115 and Kawai CN2 (need advice)
Nin Offline

Loc: Germany
Hallo Tobias:

I am in Germany as well. I am looking for a d-piano but I will definitely buy it in the Internet (prices are sometimes 500 Euros cheaper or more for the "big guys"). Just mail me and I could give you some advices.

First, the Yamaha CLP 115 is an old-model, so I would avoid to get one, and if you buy it, try to get a good deal for it (less than 900 Euros if possible).

On the other hand , personally I would rule out the Casios, and then comparing Kawai (CN2, for about 995 Euros), Yamaha (CLP 220, for about 1075) and Roland (HP-101, for about 999 Euros), I've got the following "subjective" sometimes impressions.

Kawai has better and softer sound, and taste feeling. The polyphony is higher (72-voices) but lower power (2x16 Watts). Yamaha has lower polyphony (64) but better potency (2x20). Roland has the same polyphony and power as Yamaha, but the piano sound is smoother and sweeter (which I personally like).

I personally prefer the Kawais over Roland and Yamaha, but it is only a question of taste. My selection for this range would be Kawai>Roland>Yamaha. But at the end, if you can afford it, I would do an effort to get the CA5 (I found it for approx. 1500 Euros), which is a reasonable option (nice sound and wooden keys) for this money.

At the end is a question of taste, if you like the sound, go for it.

Good luck!

Viele Grüsse!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (36251, Beemer, anrpiano, 48 invisible), 1417 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153625 Topics
2251642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lubricious Whippen Cushions
by Grotriman
1 minute 16 seconds ago
Always respect your piano
by Beemer
4 minutes 27 seconds ago
Hello + buying my first piano (long post)
by Ben_NZ
19 minutes 1 second ago
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission