Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#680622 - 04/15/06 01:47 PM Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
paul milando Offline

Loc: westfield Indiana
Have you purchased a Piano or Digital via the Internet? If so, how was the experience.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#680623 - 04/15/06 02:11 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
p250 Offline

Loc: New Orleans
Yes, but it hasn't arrived yet.

#680624 - 04/15/06 02:31 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Herndon, VA
I bought my P-200 on eBay 4 years ago (and just sold it there, too). Overall, both experiences were fairly routine, other than the fact that a P-200 is damn near 100 pounds.

I've bought and sold 10-12 guitars on eBay, and almost every experience was good. The only bad one was UPS's mangling of a shipped guitar, which they paid to repair.

I priced my P-250 via 3 online retailers and one local one to get my best price. The local retailer beat the low price, and it's sitting right behind me as I type..... ;\)
Estonia 190, #6098

#680625 - 04/15/06 03:33 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I bought my Casio digital upright sight-unseen
online for 700.00 total. I specified free
ground shipping but the dealer sent it 2nd
day air anyway at no charge. This was
faster than a neighborhood store could
deliver a piano. I'm very satified
with it.

Some people hold fast to the rule that you should
try a piano before you buy it, but I think
this is too restrictive in the internet age. You
can get a good idea of what you're going to
receive by researching online and playing
similar models in stores. Plus there is
the tantalizing element of suspense in
ordering something that is going to be a
surprise in some sense, no matter how
thoroughly you've researched it.

#680626 - 04/15/06 05:38 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
CasioUser Offline

I bought a Casio Privia PX-310 via the internet last November. It was a bit frustrating waiting for it to arrive (it took 3 days before it was even shipped, but we were told about the wait ahead of time). When it finally arrived, I had a problem getting the MIDI I/F to work, and I was afraid it was the piano that was defective. After a few frustrating days, it turned out the MIDI cable's firmware (purchased separately) was to blame. But the prospect of having to ship the keyboard back was not pleasant.

So it turned out fine in the end, but I might add the price of shipping the keyboard back into my comparison of local vs. mail order next time. Though in this case, it would still have been a bit cheaper to buy online.

#680627 - 04/15/06 05:55 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
jazpianizt Offline

Living in a small town without a large music retailer, I've been buying stuff mail-order forever, including keyboards, etc.
Now I buy it over the internet. I don't see much difference, really, as long as you're dealing with a reputable dealer.
Buying through ebay, etc. is a different story. I've done some dealing through ebay, but just little stuff.
My pianos (I've had four) I've always bought locally from a piano store in our area. They give me good deals and free delivery, and I haven't seen any reason to go elsewhere.

#680628 - 04/15/06 06:10 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I purchased my Yammie P90 over the Internet. Good experience.

#680629 - 04/15/06 06:28 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
I bought my Hammond XK-3 and Hartke KM200 over the Internet (couldn't find them locally).

They were both delivered on time, and in perfect shape.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit)
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#680630 - 04/15/06 06:32 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
yes, my pf500, good experience with discount over the regular price. just had to pick it up at UPS myself as they only deliever it during my work hours.

#680631 - 04/16/06 04:26 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
EggImage Offline

Loc: Detroit
I'm trying to find one online currently
l lost bidding on ebay,it was so sad \:\(

l need a technics sx-P50, does anybody know where l can find one from, or have a used one to sell me?
thanks.

buying pianos online, basically, if possible, i'd suggest eveyone to ask for trying the piano in person before buying..

#680632 - 04/16/06 09:15 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
pianoga Offline

Loc: England
I purchased my GEM pRP800 over the Internet. Good experience. Would not have been able to buy it other than over the internet!

#680633 - 04/16/06 02:24 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Wombat66 Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
I bought a Yamaha P60 stage piano over the internet a couple of mothe ago without problems. I felt bad about it because before buying it I looked at the same product in my local music shop to check that it was what I actually wanted. Future generations wont be able to do this because if everyone does the same as me, soon my local retailer will have gone out of business. But I'm not a charity foundation and he was asking £200 sterling (30%) more than I paid for it. The manufacturers need to wake up to the fact that in 10 years all their local show rooms will have been put out of business by the internet, and consequently their market will significantly shrink, since what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't desire. (with apologies to David Blunkett)

#680634 - 04/16/06 03:26 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
K9JST Offline

Loc: Indiana
I purchased my Yamaha P140 over the Internet. Very good experience & great price.

Joe

#680635 - 04/16/06 10:29 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
PCMusicGuy Offline

Loc: Houston
Kawai MP4 over the internet. No problems with online buying.

#680636 - 04/17/06 11:56 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
paul milando Offline

I Have purchased a Roland Fantom S, Yamaha CS2X,
and various related gear with no problems except
I saved alot of money.

#680637 - 04/17/06 01:34 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Purchased a Casio AP45 over the internet. No problems at all. Good Price. Good Product. I'm very satisfied with this purchase. I use this keyboard every day.

#680638 - 04/17/06 03:10 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Laurens Offline

Loc: The Netherland
I spent a lot of time in the music store before deciding which digital to buy. Comparing specs is one thing, but comparing the feel of a keyboard is not something one can do online. In the end the price at the store was ok, so I bought it there.

I sold my keyboard online though. It was gone in three days for a decent price (bought by a ten year old ;-).

#680639 - 04/17/06 03:35 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashua, NH
As one who works for a music retailer, I must chime in here and express a bit of frustration regarding this subject.

Granted, a piano dealer like us does not sell small portable instruments (only Clavinova digital pianos). But in these cases, I feel sorry for the big MI (musical instrument) dealers who invest millions on having the right inventory for you, the buying public. You come into the stores, use their floor samples to choose the right piano, you return home and purchase it online!

Granted, you might buy your accessories locally. But wouldn't you be sorry when your local MI dealer closes his door because he cannot compete?

Please buy from your local dealer! As Laurens said, if the price is OK, buy locally.

#680640 - 04/17/06 04:31 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
paul milando Offline

In response to Paul Y (I feel sorry for the big MI (musical instrument) dealers who invest millions on having the right inventory for you, the buying public. You come into the stores, use their floor samples to choose the right piano, you return home and purchase it online!
Did you know that Guitar Center has already
figured this out. You go there to play the keyboard, but buy it online through their online
presence, Musician's Friend. This is a billion dollar a year company! The only one who loses, is
the $6.50 an hour salesanimatron at GS.

#680641 - 04/17/06 04:56 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I understand that. It's the people who return home, surf the web in order to find a dealer selling it for less than GS and they buy it there. Guitar Center loses in that case.

Then there's E-Bay. Then GS loses as does the $6.50 guy trying to make a living selling keyboards.

Just MHO.

Paul

#680642 - 04/17/06 05:05 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I ended up buying my P250 locally (although it WAS at Guitar Center). I compared prices via online retailers, and got GC to match it. The P250 weighs 90+ lbs, and I'd hate to ship it back to an online retailer (IF I could).

Ideally, I would have purchased it locally from Veneman's or Rolls music, both of whom I bought lots of stuff from over the years in the DC area, but, unfortunately, both of those stores are long gone, in the wake of Mars Music/Guitar Center/Online sales.....(Mars Music is long gone, too...)
Estonia 190, #6098

#680643 - 04/17/06 10:49 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Y:
Please buy from your local dealer! As Laurens said, if the price is OK, buy locally. [/b]
From the little shopping I have done that would be the problem, the price locally isn't ok. I have found differences of hundreds of dollars. Now, I know many of you find it hard to believe, but for some of us, hundreds of dollars is alot of money. I would love to buy locally, but I am not going to throw money away to do it!

#680644 - 04/18/06 07:11 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
I bought my Casio PX-300 on eBay from a store. The stand and shipping were included and I didn't pay tax, so it was cheaper than buying locally.

I was annoyed about how long it took to ship. I can't remember if I contacted the store or it contacted me, but they were out of inventory, so I had to wait a couple of weeks for the store to get the DP and ship it. Had I known this upfront, I might have looked elsewhere online or just gone to Guitar Center. Other than that, the experience was fine.

#680645 - 04/18/06 02:38 PM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
 Quote:
Originally posted by paul milando:
Have you purchased a Piano or Digital via the Internet? If so, how was the experience. [/b]
I once bought a used Steinway grand via the internet, but that's not what you're interested in, is it? I get the feeling that you're wondering if it is worth while to save a few bucks buying an electronic keyboard via one of the two or three major internet retailers.

It is tempting to buy from a high-volume internet dealer as their prices may be perhaps a few percentage points lower and sales tax is usually not required, although I suspect this will change in the near future. Also, if you consider the cost of shipping against this savings there is usually little cost advantage to be gained.

However, any advantage in buying via the internet is lost the first time you run into a technical problem. Support if available from the internet dealer, is expensive considering that you are responsible for the cost of shiping your instrument back to the store or manufacturer. If Harmony-Central's user review pages are to be believed, manufacturer support from just about any of the large producers is equally lacking.

However, if you bought locally, you can simply drive the faulty board back to the store from which you made the purchase.

But this kind of decision means a great deal more to me than saving a hundred dollars or getting the product support I need if and when I need it. Bear with me and I'll explain what I mean...

Some of us are still lucky enough to have a downtown where we can go and congregate with like minded people. Small, locally-owned downtown music stores are a rare and endangered breed in these days of global markets and international corporations. If the local businesses are not supported by and within their community, they will dissapear.

Many of us are victims of this phenomenon, which began in the 1950s. We are doomed to a world without downtowns and local businesses. We consume in a word of strip malls and big box stores that employ low-wage service persons who function as little more than order clerks. Job disatisfaction and subsequent staff turnover is such that these clerks are interchangeable and generally anonymous. Their product knowledge is sometimes good but if you've had any experience shopping in the big box store, you can probably lay odds on the chance that you'll find someone who knows their product. 2:1? 3:1? 10:1? It all depends on where you're shopping.

When I finally do buy that Roland RD700SX, it will be from my local music store and not a big box like Guitar Center. Not only will I then be able to take advantage of their support if it is ever needed, but I'll have helped keep them in business.

We musicians are also rare and endangered and the locally-owned music store is a part of our community. These stores are places to go and meet others who share our values and interests. They are also places where one can learn and share one's learning. As a teenager, I hung out in these stores after school, worked behind the counter on saturdays, took lessons upstairs and later taught when I had something to teach. I learned a lot listening to and playing along with the pros that came in everyday.

Unfortunately, these places have been dissapearing from our communities for the past 40 years.

Personally, I'll buy locally because I want my local music stores to stay in business. It's still my community, after all.

#680646 - 04/19/06 08:17 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BRAVO! Well spoken!

BUY LOCALLY!

Paul

#680647 - 04/19/06 09:18 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
ipgrunt, I agree with Paul that yours was a terrific post that articulates well the reasons we should try to support local businesses whenever possible. And I have done that when I can. I bought my microphone from a small local music store even though I could have gotten it 20% cheaper off the internet.

However, what if I'm shopping for a Roland, say, and in my case the local Roland dealer is someone I don't really want to do business with? (This is not a hypothetical example, by the way.) Imagine your worst stereotype of a pushy piano salesperson and he is it. He's the guy who told me that Mason & Hamlins were made in Korea as a last-ditch ploy when I told him that I didn't want to buy his used Baldwin L when I was shopping for a grand.

So I guess my question is this: Are the advantages of buying locally with a digital piano so large that it should overrule my desire not to do business with a guy whose business practices I really dislike? Question number 2: Most of the people weighing in on this thread appear to have bought keyboards rather than full-blown digital pianos with the attached case etc. Is it possible to get the larger digital pianos online, or would the shipping charges be prohibitive? Is there anything tricky involved in setting one of them up or is it just a matter of plugging it in and playing it?

#680648 - 04/19/06 10:35 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
toda Offline

Loc: Somewhere in Midwest
Hi Monica,

A big part of "buying local" appeal is the readily available customer service. If the dealer in question is of questionable reputation, the merit local deal over Internet purchase suddenly vanishes.

For your second question, only a handful full size digital pianos are found on the e-vendors, excluding popular Yamaha Clavinova or Roland HP series right off the bat (in US; they are offered in UK). Yamaha YDP series can be mail ordered and some Internet vendors offer free shipping. Setting up just amounts using screws to attach the keyboard unit to the cabinet, taking about 10 minutes (two person job because it is heavy). Hope this helps.

TD

#680649 - 04/19/06 10:37 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monica -

Most of the pro-line shops (Guitar Center, Music 123, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, zZounds, etc.) will sell Korg digitals, Yamaha PF/YDP series or Casio Calviano pianos, but I think that Yamaha holds a pretty tight grip on the CLP/CVP distribution channels. I don't know if Roland is the same way with their HP's. Kurzweil is probably still riding the shock waves from Young Chang's recent legal/financial issues, so who knows how they're doing.

If you don't mind a non-traditional cabinet, the Yamaha PF-1000 is a pretty cool instrument, and one that I'll consider if I swap out my Roland MP-500.

But...if you're got your heart set on a Yamaha CVP or CLP, aren't you just down the road from Cincinnati or Dayton? (Heck, I'd go to Indy or Chicago, if I had to).

Also....even though these pianos appear to have a full-blown case...it's still a knock-down assembly (ala IKEA furniture). If you find the digital you want, you can transport it easily in a minivan, SUV or station wagon, then put its stand together (as long as you have two people to life the keyboard part). Same thing goes if it's shipped to your house.
Estonia 190, #6098

#680650 - 04/19/06 11:27 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks, toda and kokomo61; you both were very helpful, as I had assumed a digital piano would arrive intact just like an acoustic piano. So it is good for me to know that they don't. You know how some people are just really handy and can put anything together so it looks fantastic? I am not that person. Even IKEA furniture that I assemble has sagging shelves etc. So that just might tip the balance in favor of dealing with the local yet vaguely slimy guy.

#680651 - 04/19/06 11:57 AM Re: Have you purchased a piano or Digital via the internet?
kokomo61 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Easy solution -

1) Find better dealers in the Cincinnati or Louisville area. (or Indianapolis, Dayton, etc. - Heck, Sweetwater Sound is in Fort Wayne....)

2) Get the right piano from the dealer YOU want to deal with.

3) Get SO or neighbor or handy student to assist with piano assembly. (I put my MP500 together myself with no help).

4) Enjoy playing!

Don't let the assembly intimidate you. It's really only putting together the legs and bracing with a Masonite/MDF panel for the back. The keyboard part sits right on top of the leg assembly, plug in the pedals and you're done. I found the instructions pretty easy (at least it didn't involve words without vowels, like the IKEA stuff does.... ;\) )
Estonia 190, #6098

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/24/14 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
10/23/14 11:48 PM
Who's Online
87 registered (ando, Al LaPorte, arX, angga888, 36251, Adypiano, 23 invisible), 1128 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158464 Topics
2327049 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission