Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#680925 - 01/27/08 01:18 PM CLP and CVP Clavinova
dvs cycles Offline

Loc: SoCal
What do the CLP and CVP stand for and what are the differences?
I stumbled blindly into buying my YDP-223 with just internet info and did not find this forum until later. It meets my needs for now and sounds and plays better than I probably ever will be able to.
I want to upgrade to a Clavinova in a couple years and want to learn as much as possible to make an educated choice.
I'm not putting price limits on myself next time other than hopefully under $10K. I guess I just did.
That should get just about any of them I would think.
I appreciate any info that I can learn from.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#680926 - 01/27/08 02:43 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
Tigran Aivazian Offline

Loc: London, England
in a couple of years there probably will be different lines of CLP and CVP. So what is the point of learning about the current ones?

#680927 - 01/27/08 04:17 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
CLP is a digital cabinet style piano, CVP is the same DP with a built-in composer. CLP280 is a top model in CLP line, CVP407 is a top model in CVP line.

I agree with Tigran on the rest. May be one thing to add, YDP 223 is very well received among people buying Yamaha so I see no point for having regrets about your decision. Just play hell out of it and upgrade when you outgrow it.

#680928 - 01/27/08 04:20 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
Btw, the cost of piano and the ability to play have no relation. a beginner on a 10K piano might produce nothing while a good pianist can pull the most out of a cheap piano.

#680929 - 01/27/08 06:37 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
dvs cycles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gluttny:
CLP is a digital cabinet style piano, CVP is the same DP with a built-in composer. CLP280 is a top model in CLP line, CVP407 is a top model in CVP line.

I agree with Tigran on the rest. May be one thing to add, YDP 223 is very well received among people buying Yamaha so I see no point for having regrets about your decision. Just play hell out of it and upgrade when you outgrow it. [/b]
Thanks for the info. While I have no regrets in my purchase and plan on learning to play the hell out of it,I was under a budget restricion that won't apply in 2 years down the road. I want a piano that looks as good as it soundsand will be a centerpiece of our family room furniture.SOme of the polished Clavinovas I looked at recently match that desire.
As for Tigran I shouldn't ask any questions or learn about any thing out now because it will all be different then? :rolleyes:
BS. \:D Knowledge gained now will save learning curve then. By his other post I've read just spend as much as possible and all is good. ;\)
Not always true.

#680930 - 01/28/08 05:13 AM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
Tigran Aivazian Offline

Actually, the top of the line of CVP is CVP-409 but the only difference between it and 407 is the Synthetic Ivory keytops and PE/PM finish as opposed to Dark Rosewood.

dvs cycles, learning is always useful, I only wanted to warn that knowledge of the exact features of the current CLP/CVP models may not serve as a reliable guide to purchasing a DP two years from now.

#680931 - 01/28/08 11:50 AM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
dvs cycles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigran Aivazian:
Actually, the top of the line of CVP is CVP-409 but the only difference between it and 407 is the Synthetic Ivory keytops and PE/PM finish as opposed to Dark Rosewood.

dvs cycles, learning is always useful, I only wanted to warn that knowledge of the exact features of the current CLP/CVP models may not serve as a reliable guide to purchasing a DP two years from now. [/b]
I realize that and know the same models probably won't apply. However the more knowledge I gain now will make chosing features then simpler.
So now my question is what do CLV and CLP stand for? For example my YDP-223 I would assume to mean Yamaha Digital Piano?
Not that it matters but I'm curious.
Old guys like me like to ask questions and will probably ask them again when we forget the answer. \:D

#680932 - 01/28/08 12:56 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
Tigran Aivazian Offline

CLP stands for Clavinova cLassical Piano
CVP stands for Clavinova Versatile Piano

The main difference between the two is that CVP range has auto-accompaniments, synthesiser etc.
Actually, there is one useful feature that CVP-407 has and CLP-280/270 doesn't --- ability to create a custom temperament (for those more interested in the fundamental nature of the _origin_ of music rather than just playing what humans already composed this may be important).

There is a nice website clavinova.co.uk
which contains a bit of info. Also, there are samples on Yamaha's site here

#680933 - 01/28/08 06:09 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
Alden Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
dvs,

Given Yamaha's typical product life cycles, the newly-released CVP400 series will probably still be around in two years.

As for "stumbling" on to the YDP-223, you stumbled well. The 223 has consistently been the best selling console-style DP on the market.

Cheers,
Alden

#680934 - 01/28/08 06:29 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
Glaswegian Offline

Loc: Glasgow, Scotland
As has already been pointed out, the difference between the CLP and CVP range is that the CVP range includes auto accompaniment and lots of different voices.

The top of the range CVP409 has some 900 or so voices, 300-400 rythmns, recording fucntions, on board 16 track recorder etc. Go to the Yamaha website or go to YouTube and there are some nice demo vidoes.

The CVP409 is fairly new so should be aound for some time to come. The top of the range on the CLP side is the CLP280. This should be due for replacement in the next 12 months or so.

In addition to the standard CLP's and CVP's, you can also get two CLP type models in a baby grand case (265 and 295), and on the CVP side has just released the brand new CGP1000, effectively a 409 in a baby grand case. According to Yamaha it has a real wooden soundboard as part of its construction. I've never seen or played one so I can't tell you what's it like.

It's up to everyone to make their own judgements but hopefully this gives you some info to go on.

If you want any links if you're having trouble finding the info you need please let me know.

#680935 - 01/28/08 06:50 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
dvs cycles Offline

Thanks everyone for all the answers. This clears up a lot that isn't easily found on the Yamaha site, at least for me.
I was wondering about the CLP's getting updated when comparing specs with the CVP's.
When looking at the manual it refered to adding a FLOPPY drive. Not many of us still have those on our computers do we.

#680936 - 01/28/08 06:54 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
Glaswegian Offline

Loc: Glasgow, Scotland
The CVP's now have USB. I would like to think the next line of CLP's will also have USB.

#680937 - 01/31/08 11:43 PM Re: CLP and CVP Clavinova
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Current CLP's from the model 230 up have USB now.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, 3rd Ear, Anote, 41 invisible), 1468 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153608 Topics
2251310 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
by akita
04/20/14 02:31 PM
Few questions from a newbie regarding Bach and playing piano
by The Lark Ascending
04/20/14 02:18 PM
Should I play piano with different tone setting?
by Clannad
04/20/14 01:53 PM
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
04/20/14 01:05 PM
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
04/20/14 01:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission