Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#681300 - 01/20/08 02:04 PM GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
alleon Offline

Im kinda confused here. I see a lot of terms to describe the action of the yamaha DP. what the difference and what model have what.

can anyone clear up the types of hammer actions

thanks

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#681301 - 01/20/08 03:38 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
i would say trust your own fingers instead of concentrating on abbreviations. as far as i can remember GH3 is Yamaha's graded hammer technology of newer generation found on CLP 230 or CVP403 & above, premium probably means wooden keys GH effect with scaling and etc. GHS is found on cheaper models Yamaha, GH3 on CLP 230 and above. GH Premium on top of the range CLP280 and CVP407...IF i am not mistaken.

however for me the biggest issue is the straight connection between keys and sound dynamic there and no DP can match a proper acoustic in this instance. pity but you always face a compromise.

#681302 - 01/20/08 04:20 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
 Quote:
Originally posted by alleon:
Im kinda confused here. I see a lot of terms to describe the action of the yamaha DP. what the difference and what model have what.
[/b]
Here's the difference between actions.

Here's what floor models have which action.

You have to dig through the stage piano specifications to find each one. Yamaha does not make it easy to figure this out.

#681303 - 01/20/08 11:53 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
GHS - yamaha entry level graded hammer action (all entry level models such as P70/85, YDP-S30, etc.)
GH or GHE - mid level graded hammer action (most mid-high end stage pianos: P140,CP33/300)
GH3 - new generation graded hammer action (CLP230-270, CVP403+)
NW - natural wood (white key) action (CLP280 or CVP409, some grand models CVP309GP/CGP1000, CLP295GP)

#681304 - 01/21/08 02:31 AM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
i can attest GH3 is very good and you need not have wooden Premium HG or NW.

#681305 - 01/21/08 08:31 AM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
alleon Offline

thanks for information... so sounds like GH3 is the one that i should be looking at....

#681306 - 01/11/09 04:26 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
iroh Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
GHS - yamaha entry level graded hammer action (all entry level models such as P70/85, YDP-S30, etc.)
GH or GHE - mid level graded hammer action (most mid-high end stage pianos: P140,CP33/300)
GH3 - new generation graded hammer action (CLP230-270, CVP403+)
NW - natural wood (white key) action (CLP280 or CVP409, some grand models CVP309GP/CGP1000, CLP295GP) [/b]
your post is good, but now i want to know what are the differences between each of them other than just this one this better then that one etc

#681307 - 01/11/09 04:40 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
 Quote:
Originally posted by iroh:
your post is good, but now i want to know what are the differences between each of them other than just this one this better then that one etc [/b]
Go to a local dealer and try them. You'll know the difference better than any words could explain. Just ask the sales person which models have which. (And check the tags to make sure. LOL)

I'm not trying to be a dick. You really need to go try these things in person. If I'm remembering correctly, someone recently spent all this time online trying to decide between a Yamaha and a Casio. Went to the store and walked out with a Roland.

#681308 - 01/11/09 07:01 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
Richard Stark Offline

Loc: Hälsingland, Sweden
GH3 have as a unique feature three sensors on every key. In practice this means that you can play very fast repeated notes like on a grand piano. Other digitals may struggle little with this type of playing.

Peace.

/Richard

#681309 - 01/11/09 07:14 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Miracle:
GH3 have as a unique feature three sensors on every key. In practice this means that you can play very fast repeated notes like on a grand piano. Other digitals may struggle little with this type of playing.

Peace.

/Richard [/b]
I really gotta try that new action. I was in Guitar Center the other day, but they didn't have one with GH3.

It sounds great on paper, but it really depends on the execution. If the key travel is too small, then it'd be unrealistic, and might even result in unintentional repeated notes. But I'm pretty confident in Yamaha, so I'm eager to check it out.

#681310 - 01/11/09 07:36 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
iroh Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jscomposer:
 Quote:
your post is good, but now i want to know what are the differences between each of them other than just this one this better then that one etc [/b]
Go to a local dealer and try them. You'll know the difference better than any words could explain. Just ask the sales person which models have which. (And check the tags to make sure. LOL)

I'm not trying to be a dick. You really need to go try these things in person. If I'm remembering correctly, someone recently spent all this time online trying to decide between a Yamaha and a Casio. Went to the store and walked out with a Roland. [/b]
i would try them but i have never played piano in my life and i am starting to learn right now, but first i need a decent piano and i am looking for one that has its keys be a similar feel to an acoustic piano. so now you know it doesn't make a difference to me if i go to the store to "try" them.

but i did take your advice and took a look at a couple of models in store, the lower end models from various manufactures have their keys feel spongy and springy and are way too light, nothing like a real piano at all. on the other hand, the higher end models the keys are more heavy and the movement feels more like a real piano. just like i expected.

i suppose if it is "close enough" it won't make a difference to a newbie like me till i know better, but just trying to cover myself here and ask the right questions so i don't end up getting a piano that is more of a toy than an instrument.

#681311 - 01/11/09 08:01 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
mine has GH action. but GH3 (and NW) has an extra sensor per key to allow fast repetitions. if i were to buy another Yamaha, i would definitely go for the best action, GH3 or NW.

i've been wondering for a while: why Yamaha never put GH3 action on its stage pianos? right now, only CLPs or CVPs own such action.

#681312 - 01/11/09 08:07 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
[QUOTE]but i did take your advice and took a look at a couple of models in store, the lower end models from various manufactures have their keys feel spongy and springy and are way too light, nothing like a real piano at all. on the other hand, the higher end models the keys are more heavy and the movement feels more like a real piano. just like i expected.[/b]
Now you're talking! Even with your minimal experience you were able to tell the difference between the various actions, and you knew which felt closer to an acoustic. At that point, it's a matter of taste, budget, and other features you're interested in. You should make a list of what you want. And not a list of features and specifications, but a description of what you want to do with the instrument. Then we can better help you find one with the specs and features you'll need.

Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
mine has GH action. but GH3 (and NW) has an extra sensor per key to allow fast repetitions. if i were to buy another Yamaha, i would definitely go for the best action, GH3 or NW.

i've been wondering for a while: why Yamaha never put GH3 action on its stage pianos? right now, only CLPs or CVPs own such action. [/b]
I can play repetitions on my P80 as fast as my fingers will go. Even on GH action, you can repeat notes without letting the key return fully. But I'm eager to try the GH3.

I agree, it's about time they offer a portable with GH3. You know what would be sweet, is if GH3 were a drop-in replacement for GHE. Still, I gotta find one to try out first to really determine if it's worth it.

#681313 - 01/11/09 08:16 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
iroh Offline

Quote:
 Quote:
[QUOTE]but i did take your advice and took a look at a couple of models in store, the lower end models from various manufactures have their keys feel spongy and springy and are way too light, nothing like a real piano at all. on the other hand, the higher end models the keys are more heavy and the movement feels more like a real piano. just like i expected.[/b]
Now you're talking! Even with your minimal experience you were able to tell the difference between the various actions, and you knew which felt closer to an acoustic. At that point, it's a matter of taste, budget, and other features you're interested in. You should make a list of what you want. And not a list of features and specifications, but a description of what you want to do with the instrument. Then we can better help you find one with the specs and features you'll need. [/b]
i have been doing a lot of reading here for the last couple of days and i have pretty much settled for the Yamaha p140 based on the features and the (low) price tag it carries (still a student here, budget is a bit tight right now)

so right now i am waiting until after NAMM before i consider buying. just because the p140 is four years old, it is probably due for a successor and i don't want to get "stuck" with an old model (unless i can get it discounted more than usual)

so that's what i know, what i don't know is what other manufactures (kawai, roland, etc) have got that competes at the same level as the yamaha p140. i've pretty much settled on yamaha since the beginning, they make good stuff and it also makes my life a lot easier since i didn't have to look at several companies piano lineups to find what i want. but im just curious what other companies have got to compete against the p140. would appreciate the help there.

#681314 - 01/11/09 08:51 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alleon:
thanks for information... so sounds like GH3 is the one that i should be looking at.... [/b]
Yes, the GH3 is the better choice. I found it to be much better than the lesser keyboards.

Here's a summary of the keyboard types across a variety of current and older Yamaha DPs. (When they say Natural Wood (NW), I presume that's a GH3 action, but with wooden white keys.
 Code:
CLP-280    NW
CLP-295GP  NW
CLP-380    NW
CLPS-308   NW
CVP-407    NW
CVP-409    NW
CGP-1000   NW

CLP-230    GH3
CLP-240    GH3
CLP-265GP  GH3
CLP-270    GH3

CLP-330    GH3
CLP-340    GH3
CLP-370    GH3
CVP-403    GH3
CVP-405    GH3
CLPS-306   GH3

YDP-140    GHS
YDP-131C   GHS
YDPS-30    GHS
YPG-625    GHS
YPG-635    GHS
DGX-630    GHS
P65        GHS
P70        GHS
P85        GHS

CP-300     GHE
CP-33      GHE
YDP-160    GHE
YDP-223    GHE
P-140      GHE

CLP-220    GH
CLP-320    GH
CVP-401    GH

#681315 - 01/12/09 01:03 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
mallard Offline

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
Now you're talking! Even with your minimal experience you were able to tell the difference between the various actions, and you knew which felt closer to an acoustic. At that point, it's a matter of taste, budget, and other features you're interested in. You should make a list of what you want. And not a list of features and specifications, but a description of what you want to do with the instrument. Then we can better help you find one with the specs and features you'll need. [/b]
i have been doing a lot of reading here for the last couple of days and i have pretty much settled for the Yamaha p140 based on the features and the (low) price tag it carries (still a student here, budget is a bit tight right now)

so right now i am waiting until after NAMM before i consider buying. just because the p140 is four years old, it is probably due for a successor and i don't want to get "stuck" with an old model (unless i can get it discounted more than usual)

so that's what i know, what i don't know is what other manufactures (kawai, roland, etc) have got that competes at the same level as the yamaha p140. i've pretty much settled on yamaha since the beginning, they make good stuff and it also makes my life a lot easier since i didn't have to look at several companies piano lineups to find what i want. but im just curious what other companies have got to compete against the p140. would appreciate the help there. [/b]
i am about to buy a digital piano myself, I have been researching it a couple months, made a lot of posts here and finally settled on the P140.

that is until I went back and played one again. The Kawai EP2 or the Roland FP7 I thought had much better action and sound.

#681316 - 01/12/09 01:05 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
iroh Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mallard:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:

so that's what i know, what i don't know is what other manufactures (kawai, roland, etc) have got that competes at the same level as the yamaha p140. i've pretty much settled on yamaha since the beginning, they make good stuff and it also makes my life a lot easier since i didn't have to look at several companies piano lineups to find what i want. but im just curious what other companies have got to compete against the p140. would appreciate the help there. [/b]
i am about to buy a digital piano myself, I have been researching it a couple months, made a lot of posts here and finally settled on the P140.

that is until I went back and played one again. The Kawai EP2 or the Roland FP7 I thought had much better action and sound.

what are the prices for the models you just listed?

#681317 - 01/12/09 02:42 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
mallard Offline

#681318 - 01/12/09 02:52 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
iroh Offline

#681319 - 01/12/09 03:38 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
mallard Offline

#681320 - 01/12/09 03:57 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
iroh Offline

edit

#681321 - 01/12/09 04:16 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
mallard Offline

#681322 - 01/12/09 04:27 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
hey, can you guys be a bit more judicious with your quoting?

Other folks have noted differences in models that ostensibly have the same action, so this is not unique.

#681323 - 01/12/09 05:03 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
Richard Stark Offline

Loc: Hälsingland, Sweden
 Quote:
...and the p140 and the cp300 have the same keyboard, so i don't understand how you can say the cp300 feel is awesome and not hold the p140 in the same regard. maybe you should do a blind test. [/b]
The action is only a part of the package that makes the feel of the piano.
The sound is very important.
The P140 has small speakers with limited power and the sound is not impressing in any way unless you use headphones. The CP300 has bigger speakers with a lot of power. That makes a HUGE difference. :-)

Peace.

/Richard

#681324 - 01/12/09 07:46 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Plus, the CP300 weighs around twice as much as is built more rugged. That probably has an impact on the feel. It also depends on how the store had them set up. If the P140 was on a wobbly stand and the CP300 was on a heavy duty stable stand, that'd effect your perception of the feel as well.

Iroh, you might want to check out the Casio Privia PX320. It's a few 100 bucks less than the P140 and has surprisingly good action. Built-in speakers, good connections too. This is coming from a Yamaha fan, BTW. Just don't ask me for details. I only played one briefly, I didn't give it a rigorous audition. I'm just saying it's well worth looking into, especially if you're on a budget.

#1608382 - 01/29/11 07:25 PM Re: GH vs GHS vs GH3 vs GH1 vs GH2 vs Premium GH [Re: alleon]
doremi Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (anadyr21, A Guy, Almaviva, Anne'sson, ABC Vermonter, 35 invisible), 1448 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153718 Topics
2253432 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another beginner
by mojoe
11 minutes 5 seconds ago
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Our first piano acquisition- Yamaha U3
by Manutabora
Yesterday at 07:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission