Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#682007 - 09/28/04 08:57 AM Keyboard for piano training?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Hello. I'm new to the forum and to music. I am learning how to play the piano using Alfred's Adult Course books. I'm currently using a Yamaha EZ-30 keyboard, which I purchased when I decided I wanted to learn the piano. I intentionally got something that was not too expensive, yet gave me the capabilities I was looking for, because I did not know if I would like playing, or would quit after a few months, etc. I did not want to make a large investment in something that might end up collecting dust. I really like the LCD staff that shows the notes on it as I press them. It's a valuable learning aid. I still need to get a sustain pedal. I do have access to an upright piano (at our church) that I occasionally use just to familiarize myself with the weighted keys and the difference in touch and response. Any thoughts?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#682008 - 09/28/04 09:35 AM Re: Keyboard for piano training?
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Keyboards have their places--space, travel, capabilities--but in my opinion trying out piano is not one of them, espcially if it is a cheap one. If you don't like piano after all you *are* out money because you'll never be able to sell it for what you paid for it. If you decide you do want to stick with it you are still out money because now you have to buy a better piano. Allow me to suggest an alternative.

My wife, before I married her, thought she might like to learn to play piano. She bought a used upright. After 6 months she decided it wasn't for her and so she sold it for what she paid for it. She wasn't out one cent. And she had a real piano to try it out on, not something with poor quality keys.

Just my $.02

#682009 - 09/28/04 02:24 PM Re: Keyboard for piano training?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i have talked about the different feel playing either keyboard or piano in another thread, see here:

another thread

#682010 - 09/28/04 09:55 PM Re: Keyboard for piano training?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, signa. I found that post very informative, and I will set the 'Touch Response' of my keyboard to the on position. I should have done a better job of reading the existing threads before starting my own.

Jerry

#682011 - 09/28/04 10:02 PM Re: Keyboard for piano training?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
no problem, Jerry! this is the place to share information. i learned it hard way, and wish i knew what i know now.

#682012 - 09/29/04 12:44 AM Re: Keyboard for piano training?
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm using a inexpensive digital to learn on. I may have to upgrade soon, at my lesson the touch difference throws me off. But at this point it is nowhere near the limiting factor. I keep touch sensitive turned on, and I keep the master volume low, so I have to hit the keys hard. This makes it more equivalent to the real piano. To me, either the Yamaha Clavinova or the Casio Previa feel real, or very close to real.

I bought a pedal, I think it was about $10 US at Radio Shack. This does make a lot of difference, otherwise I would have no clue when I get to my lesson. A pedal is just a switch, it plugs into a jack that you can program for various effects, but I leave it on sustain.

#682013 - 10/01/04 03:09 PM Re: Keyboard for piano training?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Tim. I've turned on my touch response option, and I will be buying a sustain pedal immediately.

#682014 - 11/01/04 12:50 PM Re: Keyboard for piano training?
FUNNYDOGNV Offline

Loc: NV USA
Hi Jerry, I'm new to music and this forum too. This is my first post. What a coincidence I'm also learning to play on EZ-30 and Alfred's basic adult book. I bought the EZ-30 because I figured I can write-off the $150 if it turns out that piano isn't for me. Since I'm still in the note-finding stage of learning, the unweighted action doesn't bother me. I'm taking lessons in my local community college, we use CVP-202/301 in class. I don't have much trouble switching between the unweighted and weighted actions, except that the weighted one feels much better and easier to play.

I found the MIDI disk that can be ordered for Alfred's book is very helpful. I made a MIDI interface from scrap parts and downloaded the songs to EZ-30's memory, and have the keyboard show me how a song should sound like. On the EZ-30 you can easily turn off the accompaniment and listen to the piano parts only. Having something to imitate helps my progress more than the guide lights and LCD on the EZ-30, IMHO.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
159 registered (ajames, *windowlicker*, 36251, ando, 51 invisible), 1612 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75885 Members
42 Forums
156805 Topics
2304050 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg
by bagatelle
08/20/14 12:25 PM
Record and Playback to-and-from Disklavier DKC55?
by dhilderbrand
08/20/14 12:12 PM
Looking for an Android App....
by Ohio_Mark
08/20/14 09:17 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission