2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Hi! I've spent the last few days browsing through this forum, and it's a fantastic resource. However, I do have a couple questions that I don't think have been addressed in previous posts (although, if I missed something, please point me in the right direction).

Background: I'm a poor college student living off investments. I'll be graduating in May (finally) with a real job already lined up. I played piano when I was a kid (5 or so years) on a quality acoustic upright. I have some time my Senior year, and I want to start playing again! So, I'm looking for something to use in my cruddy apartment. Note: I'm not an audiophile -- I don't mind using $15 headphones. (Yes, I know that makes you cringe).

It seems that the consensus for people on a budget is the Casio PX-100 at ~$500. Here are my three questions:

1.) Is there a "next step up" that's less than a 50% price increase? If I'm shelling out $500, I don't want to pay $750 or more. But if there's something that requires only a 20% increase and the quality is exceptionally better -- please let me know! (A cursory glance at other posts revealed $750 options, but not much less).

2.) Will the polyphony limitation of the PX-100 cause a problem for an average piano player? One post said that it was limited to 16 when using the "best sound" (the 32 is just a max number). While I'm not going to be playing complex Rachmaninoff pieces (although I may try), I won't be playing primer book pieces, either.

3.) I haven't seen much discussion about synthesizers, because of their non-realistic feel and sound. And while I definitely don't want something without weighted keys, are there any synthesizers cheaper than the PX-100 that have decent feel? Like I said, I'm not an audiophile or a concert pianist -- if there's something out there for $300 with decent weighting and lots of cool features, I might consider that over the almighty expensive "digital piano".

Thanks for your help! I'll, of course, refresh this post every 5 minutes, so if you have any questions -- please ask!

C
C
1) Not really, the next worthwhile step up would be, IMO, Yamaha P90/P120.

2) 16 is very limiting, 32 is fine, 64 is preferable, anything above is excellent.

A proud employee of Yamaha-Kemble Music

(please scan all posts with bias scanner...)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission