Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#682168 - 06/07/02 01:55 AM General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
brat Offline

Loc: India
HI everyone,
I know this topic has been discussed a lot but I don't seem to see brands like General Music and Viscount being mentioned in the discussion. FOr some reason I have a mind block against Eastern Brands like Yamaha & Suzuki. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I have played a Yamaha and a Samick Acoustic and was totally unimpressed with the sound quality. THey just sounded so dull. I own a Baldwin Acoustic and think that it sounds really good and haven't had any trouble with it. BUt don't have any tuners in the area so am wanting to buy a digital. I want something which sounds as close to a real piano as possible with heavy key actions. Have done a little research and had thought of the GEM RP220. BUt since I don't see this company being mentioned anywhere in these forums I am having doubts... Any suggestions????

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#682169 - 06/09/02 01:40 PM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I don't know that much about the consumer digital market. But if I were buying a digital for the home, I'd look for a company that has a strong history in both consumer and professional markets. General Music does make some pro gear, but it seems to much more popular in Europe. I have very little first hand experience with them. Viscount and Suzuki are virtual no-shows in the professional realm. I'd recommend looking at keyboards from companies like Roland (my favorite at the moment), Yamaha, Korg and Kurzweil. One more thing, since a digital piano's sound is derived from a "sample" (recording) of an actual acoustic instrument, I wouldn't get too hung up on the brand name. Most digitals have enough variety to give you whatever kind of sound you want (warm vs. bright, etc.). I suspect that companies like Yamaha would sample their own pianos. Even the digital Yamahas have a reputation for brightness. I'm not sure about Kurzweil as it was making professional keyboards long before the Young Chang days. I'd say pick whatever feels and sounds good to you and go with it.

#682170 - 06/10/02 05:04 AM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
brat Offline

Thank you SteveY for the advice. I will certainly think about this.
Another question please... Which Roland would you recommend. I want something with 128 keys polyphony, good sound, touch sensitivity, built in speakers, cabinet and ofcourse a few sounds and controls like transpose, metronome, etc. For that matter which brand would you recommend ? I was going thru the Roland Website and got extremely confused as to which model is better? I was looking at KR577 & HP557R, but again don't know which will be better....
Also another thing that I didn't understand was the metronome in the roland KR 577 has 11 patterns and 8 sounds. What is that supposed to mean? again...
Can anybody please tell me what escapement means?

Thanks.
Payal

#682171 - 06/10/02 11:07 AM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I'm not familiar with those specific models as they are in what Roland calls their "Contemporary Keyboard" division (keyboards for the home). They have many of the same sounds as the professional keyboards that I'm familiar with, but have all sorts of different features such as built-in speakers, etc. I'd encourage you to visit a Roland dealer that has both in stock. Pick the one you like best -- not necessarily the one with the most features.

#682172 - 06/12/02 11:18 AM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
geistATL Offline

Loc: atlanta, ga
well if you go by price then the kr577 is the better than the hp557. i had a chance to play them both they feel the same. as far as the metronome sounds things go, rather than having just the normal ticking we are used to it lets you select other sounds like clapping hands, or the sound of a dog barking(which in my opinion is annoying) i think these are features more for childrens entertainment.

#682173 - 06/12/02 12:41 PM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
brat Offline

I know what you mean.. I would hate to play to the beats of a dog barking... that sounds very annoying.. Infact I have pet who is always there in the room ( one of my ardent fans \:\) ) and even his breathing (which is rather loud as he is an English bulldog) irritates me..

#682174 - 06/16/02 11:52 PM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
G-maw3 Offline

Loc: Paducah, Ky
I'm certainly no expert in this field but I did just buy a digital last week and settled on the Kawai Concert Performer 150. The Roland KR-577 was my second choice and I just liked the sound on the Kawai a little better. This may or may not be something you're interested in but on both of these models you program your own presets for sounds and if you want to change voices in the middle of a piece you can do so quite easily. Kawai's are also made here in the states.

#682175 - 06/18/02 12:46 PM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
German Offline

Loc: Argentina
Congratulations!

What about the action, does it feel like a real piano?

#682176 - 06/21/02 11:18 PM Re: General Music Digital Pianos. Are they any good?
G-maw3 Offline

Loc: Paducah, Ky
Thanks German. Yes I like the feel of it very much. It has the weighted, wooden keys so it does have a "real" piano feel. But as you know the touch on real pianos varies a great deal so if you play on a particular piano all the time you might or might not like the feel. If you're used to several different "real" touches you probably won't notice any difference quite as much.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (A Guy, ajames, Alex-SapRenovation, 36251, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1422 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76031 Members
42 Forums
157205 Topics
2308883 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
Today at 09:29 AM
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
Today at 07:14 AM
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
Today at 06:45 AM
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
Today at 01:54 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission