Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#682228 - 01/06/05 08:14 AM Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
DavidPJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm very grateful for finding this excellent forum. I'm shopping for a new digital piano for my 5 year daughter to begin lessons. I've pretty much made the big decision of going with a digital vs. acoustic piano. I would like to keep this piano for a good period of time, so I don't want to buy a low end throw away. We also want a model with a cabinet as opposed to just a keyboard or stage model.

I've been looking mostly at Kawai, the models CN390 and CA5. I liked the CN390 and price, but suprisingly it doesn't have a USB port, which I think is a must. The next step up is the CA5, which gives USB, 4 speakers, wood keyboard, and 96 polyphony.

I haven't actually seen the CA5 yet, the dealer didn't have one on display. What do you think of it? What would be a comparitive model in Yamaha and Roland?

The number 1 criteria for me is keyboard touch, followed by price, then sound quality. I want to stay in the $2-3K range. I think touch is the most important so my daughter can easily transition to an acoustic piano someday if she so desires.

Lastly, are there authorized online sources for these pianos?

Thanks for your suggestions.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#682229 - 01/06/05 10:04 AM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
for Yamaha, CLP150 might fit your needs and price range.

#682230 - 01/06/05 11:28 AM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
CMS Offline

DavidPJ,

If you liked the Kawai CN390, you might want to check out Kawai ES3/5. They are stage pianos that have the exact same action as the CN390 and probably the same samples. Both have USB connectivity. Of course, they are both much cheaper than the furniture oriented CN390. They also look quite good, sans the furniture.

I have an ES5 and I highly recommend it.

#682231 - 01/06/05 11:46 AM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
Kenpcola Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
CA5, obviously, is a newer model with more instrument sounds. Said to have newer keybeds. You really have to try playing both of them first before making decision. USB is just add on. You really don't need to have USB on digital piano models. It is just a convenient feature you have to buy with $$$. That USB port is just a second Midi interface. You can buy USB-Midi cable unit for $45 if your digital piano don't have USB port.
There are many online digital piano dealers. You can contact Kawaii directly and they can give out authorized online dealers too(preferred way).

#682232 - 01/06/05 12:42 PM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
As the CA-5 has a new keyboard touch, which is supposed to be better (I haven't been able to try it myself), you should definitely try that one also.

As said, USB is not necessary.

#682233 - 01/06/05 02:48 PM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
CMS Offline

Kawai CN-5s have their premium digital piano action, which used also to be in the now-discontinued MP9500 stage piano. It is rumored to be the best action in any digital, but you should check it for yourself. Some find that it makes a disconcerting clunk, when the key is fully depressed.

#682234 - 01/06/05 04:46 PM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
DavidPJ Offline

Thanks for your comments. I've also starting reviewing the Yamaha CLP-150 and PF500. The CLP-150 seems to be directly competitive in features and in price to the Kawai CA5. I wish I could find a dealer that sells both so I could compare them side by side.

Any comments the Yamaha CLP-150 vs the Kawai CA5?

Thanks.

#682235 - 01/06/05 09:50 PM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
Kenpcola Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
They both gonna compete each other in Original sound only.
I prefer Kawaii sound over Yamaha sound.
You are right. You should compare those two side by side. Take time. You may repeat the comparison several times before making any decision.

#682236 - 01/07/05 04:54 AM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
saw Offline

Loc: Florida
I have a PF-500 and am very happy with it so far. I recently tried a Kawai CA-1200/1000, predecessor to the CA-5 and CA-7. I liked the key feel very much - wooden keys and action felt very authentic and "right" to me. I also liked the warmth of the tone produced, and the simple layout. These instruments provide what you need and just that. One thing I noticed that was a concern to me is the dynamic reproduction. Kawai uses a proprietary technique called Harmonic Imaging to reproduce the dynamic range of the keys. However, my experience was that, if I experimented with playing soft to loud, there was a point at which the tonal character of the note would totally change, from a more mellow to a brighter tone. The sales person, seemingly knowledgeable in pianos, suggested that is intentional to mimic acoustics. However, I found it to be surprisingly abrupt, and therefore not natual. I am an adult beginner, so possibly my ear needs more training here. Otherwise, I like the Kawai line, even though I purchased a Yamaha. Good luck.

Stan

#682237 - 01/07/05 11:27 AM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
If going for a CA-7 you will get brand new piano samples and some nice modelling features which is described in detail at http://www.kawai.de/index2.html (click on Digitalpianos, Audio Demos, CA7 and listen to Saitenresonanzsimulation and Dämpfereffekt).

#682238 - 01/08/05 09:03 AM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
csmith1978 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
David -

I would encourage you to atleast try the Yamaha CLP150. It is in your price range. FWIW, I believe Yamaha has a 5 year part and labor warranty on their digitals. Just in case.

As noted in another thread, I have not played the latest Kawai digitals to comment.

#682239 - 01/08/05 06:47 PM Re: Kawai CA5, Yamaha, Roland?
DavidPJ Offline

Thanks everyone for your comments.

csmith1978, yes the Yamaha warranty is as you said, 5 years parts, 1 year labor. The Kawai warranty is 3 years parts, 1 year labor.

A few days after I started this thread I started another to specifically address pricing on the CLP-150 and CA5. However, this thread and the another became very similar. To avoid duplication, I'll refer you to my newer post entitled "Price for Yamaha CLP-150 & Kawai CA5" at http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/806.html for further comments. Thanks again.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, Allard, a-z0-9, 26 invisible), 1276 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156117 Topics
2292572 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How To Improve?
by Xagan
59 minutes 23 seconds ago
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
Today at 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission