Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#682539 - 02/12/08 03:17 AM YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
ticloso Offline

Loc: Spain
Please, I need your help. I´m very interested in adquiring a Yamaha Digital piano and there are two options that I´m seriously considering. MODUS H01 and CLP 280. What I consider vital is the touching sensation and the quality of the sound (expresiveness, etc.) being as much similar to an acustic grand piano. Can anybody give me a piece of advice?. It really catches my attention very much the MODUS H01 model because of the design and its technical characteristics. I am not looking for thousands of diferent sounds, effects, digital display, etc. Just quality of the touching and the sound and design(being absolutely aware of the limitations of these kind of pianos comparing to the acustic ones).

Thank you for your help. I´ve been writing e-mails to Yamaha but they seem to be very busy as I don´t get any comments asking for their advice.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#682540 - 02/12/08 07:15 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

Loc: London, England
I think it is obvious that CLP-280 is superior, here are the reasons:

1. the polyphony of H01 is 64 compared to 128 of CLP-280.

2. the number of dynamic steps of H01 is 3 compared to 4 of CLP-280

3. the number of voices of H01 is 10 compared to 518 of CLP-280

4. the number of speakers of H01 is just 2x40w compared to 2x60w + 2x20w of CLP-280

5. No iAFC on H01

6. No USB-to-Host interface on H01

7. No MIDI interface (I can't believe it! Hmmm, then you can't really do anything with this instrument except play some music yourself or listen to MIDI files played from USB memory)

8. No alternative temperaments. So you are stuck with the default equal temperament even if you play old baroque pieces which clearly sound better in other temperaments.

9. No metronome on H01

10. No LCD display on H01 (hmmm, how do you control it then? very strange... it seems to be like those old primitive things called "acoustic pianos" which also didn't have any electronic brains in them --- only some metal strings and pieces of wood subject to humidity and temperature changes \:\)

So, why is H01 so much more expensive do you ask?
Because H01 looks awful and strange (like some 17th century instrument) while CLP-280 looks like a normal upright piano (well, with a head chopped off \:\)

Some people prefer strangely looking things even if they are inferior inside. Why? Because they want to be seen different since they have a lot of money. Hence the pricing of Modus series.

So, buy CLP-280 and have no doubts.

#682541 - 02/12/08 08:49 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
ticloso Offline

Tigran, thank you very much for your comments. You´ve been very helpful. Actually, I´m looking for a high quality digital piano(sound, touching experience, expresiveness, etc.). I don´t really care very much about sound effects, etc. I just like playing the piano (I studied in the Conservatory of Music til sixth couse. It´s eight years since then, but had to quit it because of my economic studies. Now I want to make up for the lost time). One more question, What are the differences between the MODUS F01 and the CLP 280?. Thanks so much! (excuse my english ...)

#682542 - 02/12/08 09:31 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

F01 is slightly better than H01 in that it has a metronome, MIDI and AUX IN connectors and a 3-digit LED but even with these in mind it is just as inferior to CLP-280 as H01.

Seriously, if you don't care about this (supposed or perceived) "luxurious design looks" of Modus series you should be comparing CLP-280 to Roland HP-207 and Kawai CA91 and not to Modus.
All three are excellent digital pianos in precisely the sense you are looking for, imho.
I prefer CLP-280 even though it is a bit older than the other two.

Btw, Cherubini in Rome currently have the best price in Europe on CLP-280 mahogany version (not polished). I bought a CLP-280PE a month ago and certainly do not regret it.

#682543 - 02/12/08 10:21 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
ticloso Offline

O.K.!, I think I have an idea more precise about these three models.

Once again, thank you for your comments!

#682544 - 02/12/08 11:55 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

Actually, the whole product line of Yamaha DPs can be visualised as this matrix:

YDP DGX
CLP CVP
Modus H Modus F

So, horizontally we have "classic vs versatile" whilst vertically we have three rows:

basic features + economy looks
advanced features + classic looks
intermediate features + super-ultra-modern looks

There is a slight inaccuracy here as Modus F is not as "versatile" compared to Modus H (i.e. it is NOT at all like CVP vs CLP).

So, in your case, i.e. of advanced player with no need for versatility of CVP (i.e. auto-accompaniments etc) the ideal is the top of the range of CLP. This assumes you are NOT willing to pay extra just for the "super modern looks" and at the same time sacrifice the advanced piano features like good sound and temperaments.

If the majority of people had common sense then the above matrix would have had the last two rows re-ordered, i.e. the intermediate features + strange looks should really cost LESS than advanced features + classic looks, imho.

#682545 - 02/12/08 04:05 PM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
ticloso Offline

You seem to know a lot about Yamaha...
Thank you for your comments and for the matrix, I would not have thought about it like that. Finally, I´m considering very seriously buying a CLP 280, I think It is the most sensible decision.

I really appreciate very much your considerations and time. You´ve been very helpful.

#682546 - 02/13/08 07:05 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

I put mp3 recordings of WTC 1 Prelude #1 played by CLP-280 and Casio CTK-900 for you to compare here:

Prelude #1

#682547 - 02/13/08 07:25 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
rodmichael Offline

Loc: Maryland
Tigran,

Very nice playing. As a rank beginner, I am envious. How long have you been playing?

I like the sound of the Yamaha piece much better than the Casio. More richness and depth to the sound. The Casio seems more shrill or way too bright for me.

But the bottom line is VERY nice playing.
Zoom Q3

#682548 - 02/13/08 08:07 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

No, no, those were NOT played by myself, but simply a MIDI file played by the _instrument_.
Actually, right now I am learning this very piece (Prelude #1) but it will probably be awhile before I dare compare my playing with the machine \:\)
But if/when I do I promise to put a 3rd mp3 file "played ON CLP-280" as opposed to "played BY CLP-280"...

I only started learning about music a month or two ago and I delay learning to play the instrument until I "know everything" (i.e. currently I study harmony, counterpoint, acoustics, temperaments construction, MIDI "intricacies" etc and when I feel I know enough to compose something beautiful I'll concentrate on playing the instrument seriously.)

#682549 - 02/13/08 06:36 PM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
THis is an interesting comparison. The Casio sells for $199 and the CLP-280 sells for ______?

#682550 - 02/14/08 02:43 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

for $5000 i.e. 25 times more expensive.
I bought my CTK-900 (new) for £115 and CLP-280PE for £2259.

#682551 - 02/14/08 06:13 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
Tigran, are you taking lessons or learning yourself? I am curious because I am a dumb player plying without knowing notes. I feel I must start learning so that my playing skills go up and I can play complicated masterpieces instead of Yesterday and Sailing. I am a big fan of Elton John and his piano works. I was once to his solo concert and that was just brilliant, a much more thrilling experience than when he plays with his band.

#682552 - 02/14/08 07:35 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

I am learning by myself, using the books by Seymour Fink (+video), Sandor and Chang (plus previously I read a few other books but they weren't terribly useful, like Piano for Dummies, Total keyboard Tutor, Neuhaus' Art of Piano technique, Gieseking (sic) etc etc).
I use the Piano Suite Premier (and for some things Teach Me Piano Deluxe) software.

I started by learning the notes and training at least relative pitch (using Practica Musica software).

(All the resources listed so far are freely available (if you know where to look \:\) so so far I spent money only on the instrument plus a little bit on books on general music theory like Arnold Schoenberg, Fux's Counterpoint, Rameau, Salzer etc which I either couldn't find or was too busy to print out the pdfs and preferred to pay (I strongly believe that the books should cost strictly the printing+binding --- that's how my own publishing company sells them and we make no profit \:\)

Btw, yesterday I discovered something interesting --- watching a few people on youtube.com playing Greensleeves I then tried to play it myself and learnt the right hand part in something like 3-4 minutes (no exaggeration, honest!). That's just a few seconds per bar. The brain noticed the pattern and the hand just hit the right keys "by itself". Previously even a simple tune like that would have taken me about 30 minutes to learn the right hand, i.e. about a minute per bar. So, I conclude that watching the hand's movements of others does affect somehow (subconsciously?) the speed of learning.

But learning _both_ hands is an entirely different matter. For Greensleeves it would take me several hours or more (still struggling to play chords with left hand properly but, as I said, my experience is a couple of months "gross" and probably a couple of days "net time" (because I was quite busy in the last few months with other things, as I read (and write/edit) various books in many languages etc etc so only a tiny amount of time is left for music \:\)

#682553 - 02/14/08 07:40 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

(deleted duplicate post)

#682554 - 02/14/08 10:18 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
interesting. i play both hands for sure, otherwise this is not like playing. however i use simplification and chords instead of instant. so i want learning notes, etc and also develop my hands in the way that i can play normal like a proper pianist. however i agree, watching someone can be very helpfull. i learnt playing by hearing many years ago and i found watching others makes you catch the chords and melodic quite easily.

thanks for books recommendation. i am curious as your name sounds Armenian, but i guess this is your nickname, right?

#682555 - 02/14/08 10:34 AM Re: YAMAHA MODUS H01 VS. CLP 280
Tigran Aivazian Offline

No, it is not a nickname. It is my real name: Tigran Aivazian (you can search Google to find out). My roots do indeed go back to Armenia but I am British (though in Wikipedia I am actually listed in the category of "Famous Armenians" subcategory "Scientists" among such great stars like Ambartsoumian, Mikoyan (inventor of Mig-29), Orbeli etc etc \:\)

I guess the person who wrote that article in the encyclopaedia was very fond of Linux kernel and a little bit overestimated my humble contributions to the earth's technology, science etc.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (alex-kid, accordeur, 3rd Ear, Anote, 40 invisible), 1505 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153609 Topics
2251322 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
by akita
04/20/14 02:31 PM
Few questions from a newbie regarding Bach and playing piano
by The Lark Ascending
04/20/14 02:18 PM
Should I play piano with different tone setting?
by Clannad
04/20/14 01:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission