Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#682880 - 12/04/06 05:01 PM How authentic is GH action, really?
jrcooper Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I'd like to know what acoustic piano players really think of today's Graded Hammer digital piano keyboards. How much do they really feel like an acoustic action-wise?

I ask because I do not have enough experience behind either to make an authoritative judgement. I was getting the feel of the Yamaha P-140 and CP-33 keyboards over the weekend in a local Guitar Center and thought, gee this doesn't really feel like what I remember an acoustic piano keyboard feeling like (from years of compulsively plinking on one anytime one was within reach).

Given the significant differences in construction between them, I really have to wonder how close GH digital keyboards are to feeling like "the real thing".

On a scale of 1-10 (1 means no resemblence at all, and 10 means so identical you'd swear it was acoustic construction), how close do these keyboards feel? And how much closer do they get if we go from $1000-1500 keyboards to the $2000-3000 keyboards?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#682881 - 12/04/06 05:13 PM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
the key difference between a GH and an acoustic grand besides weight is the string vibration of acoustic keys which is not simulated on a digital key action. other than that, the feel is about 80% authentic. but for a GH3 or a wood action (as on a CLP280), it would be 85-90% authentic, i guess.

my teacher has a P90 and he plays on acoustic grand regularly as well, and he said that P90's action, i.e. GH, is pretty much like the action on a grand. but i don't know what scale likehood he'd give on that.

at $2500-3000 range, considering CLP230 GH3 and above models, it would get additional 10-15% closer to acoustic action than a GH action, i would guess.

#682882 - 12/04/06 05:52 PM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
One important difference is that on an acoustic grand piano, you can feel the escapement -- i.e., the little "catch" feel when the hammer releases to hit the string. On most digital pianos, there's no equivalent feel.

There are some Roland model digital keyboards that apparently do simulate the feel of the escapement. See:
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/faq.cfm?iCncd=1083&FAQ=EN31-07708&dsp=1&ln=en&prd=HP109

I don't know about other manufacturers.

This difference is very noticeable when you go from a digital keyboard to an acoustic grand. Otherwise I'd say GH3 action is pretty similar.

#682883 - 12/10/06 11:23 AM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
bachmaniac Offline

Loc: Montreal, CAN
Mike is absolutely right, here. Escapement makes a difference, not the keyboard being wood or not, though I confess that Kawai's beautiful AWA Pro action challenges that. I recently tried a Roland that had escapement (the 107, I believe) and I must say Much Ado About Nothing, though. They haven't really been successful in aping genuine escapement. Not worth it. But watch for Kawai's new offerings, beginning of 2007: the CA91 and the CA71 will be offering escapement. The 91 will offer a "sounding board" wooden back panel as well...
Claude (bachmaniac)

#682884 - 12/10/06 12:32 PM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
 Quote:
Originally posted by bachmaniac:
Mike is absolutely right, here. Escapement makes a difference, not the keyboard being wood or not (...)[/b]
In my opinion, the only digital pianos that can supply a realistic (double) escapement are the Yamaha's GranTouch models (I'm a GT2 user myself).

Of course, it would be interesting to try out the new Kawais when they appear. The only Kawai I have tried is the MP9000. Although a nice hammer response, the action is way too light. Does anyone know if this has changed in the AWA Grand Pro (or Pro II)?

#682885 - 12/10/06 12:33 PM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
--- (double post) ---

#682886 - 12/10/06 01:18 PM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
One way you can come to your own conclusion is to drop by a Yamaha dealer sometime; they ususally stock the whole range from the cheapest digitals to the larger grands. You can literally just play one after another, back to back, and come to your own conclusion with some impartiality [assuming the salespeople leave you alone].

Now I'm one of those biased acoustic-piano guys, but the thing I noticed is once you got to a digital with a really great action and sound, the price was similar to an acoustic piano that sounded and felt as good or better than it. I would concede that, in the sub-$2000 price range, a digital may be a better overall choice for most people than what they could get for a new or used acoustic piano.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#682887 - 12/11/06 04:24 PM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
Wandering Weezard Offline

Loc: Indiana
 Quote:
Originally posted by bachmaniac:
Mike is absolutely right, here. Escapement makes a difference, not the keyboard being wood or not, though I confess that Kawai's beautiful AWA Pro action challenges that. I recently tried a Roland that had escapement (the 107, I believe) and I must say Much Ado About Nothing, though. They haven't really been successful in aping genuine escapement. Not worth it. But watch for Kawai's new offerings, beginning of 2007: the CA91 and the CA71 will be offering escapement. The 91 will offer a "sounding board" wooden back panel as well...
Claude (bachmaniac) [/b]
Are the CA91/71 Kawai's "upright" digital's? How did you find out about these new offerings?

#682888 - 12/11/06 05:39 PM Re: How authentic is GH action, really?
bachmaniac Offline

Loc: Montreal, CAN
Yes, Weez, they replace the CA9 and CA7, respectively. You can already google them out but the only info you'll find about them for now is in Japanese. They're scheduled for the beginning of 2007. I read about it all right here in this forum...
Claude (bachmaniac)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Seiler 186 Maestro Grand
by Sam4
5 minutes 35 seconds ago
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
Today at 10:15 AM
Buying a piano
by tim1889
Today at 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
Today at 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Who's Online
129 registered (Adypiano, Augustina, 36251, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1423 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157641 Topics
2315509 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission