2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I have narrowed down my search to these 2, but the showroom only had the CLP 340 to try. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the feel of the keys on the 340 (synthetic ivory) from the 330 to warrant the extra £200? It is an entry level purchase for my daughter to learn to play the piano on, and I would like to re-learn too having learnt many years ago. Does anyone have any strong views if it's worth the extra money. Internet feature is unlikely to be used. Thank You.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There is also a difference about sampling.......read the specs!

JB

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Hi Suzy,

Yes it's absolutely worth the extra money.

I think the CLP-340 has the best value for the money (maybe apart from the CLP-370 with it's White Wooden Keys) in the CLP-3xx range if you want a piano close to a real accoustic AND still affordable.

1. The GH3 action with 'Synthetic Ivory Keytops' gives a pleasant familiar feel with regard to a real accoustic piano.

2. You have 4 soundsamples per note in stead of 3 for the CLP-330 . (Means slightly richer sound).

3. Much better amplification and speakers: 40 Watt x2 (in stead of 20 Watt x2), speakers 16 cm x2 + extra 5 cm x2 for the CLP-340. So this means the bigger speakers are only used for the middle and bass tones. Result much 'bigger' realistic sound, clear high notes and especially more realistic lower tones, very important for a piano sound.

4. 14 x 2 instrument voices in stead of 14. (Nice, but not very important for piano playing)

5. Key-Off Samples and Stereo Sustain Samples ! (Makes the sound much more realistic).

Info about: "Key-off Samples" and "Stereo sustain-samples" (realistic open-string effect with the sustain pedal).

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
We just got the CLP300s here in the U.S. If the specs are the same in England as they are here, the price difference seems worth it. My favorite part about the CLP340 is the music clips that help keep the music book open! The larger speakers and deeper sampling really do sound better. In the long run, I think you'll be happier with the CLP340, but only you can determine your budget. A few years from now when your daughter is playing duets with you, you probably won't even remember the extra 200 pounds.

Co-author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buying a Piano. I work for a West Coast dealer that carries Bosendorfer, Schimmel, Vogel, Wm. Knabe, and Yamaha.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you for all your replies. Really appreciate it.

Hi Suzy

I'm biased here as I just bought the 340.

But first, here are the main spec differences:

* The speaker system is of a higher quality
* Also better output 40 watt speakers instead of 20 watt
* You can't "split" the 330 (ie you can't assign a different instrument to another section of the keyboard)
* 4 samples instead of 3 means better sound quality
* Ivory feel keytops

Personally, I really love the way the 340 feels beneath my fingers - It's such a nice touch - I find it makes me play more. Coupled with the additional richness of sound - I think it's £200 well spent.

I forsee me playing this piano for many many years to come - well until I get the S6BB :-)

Out of curiousity whereabouts in London are you?

Mark

S
OP Offline
S
Finally got to try the 2 side by side. I preferred the sound of the 340 over the 330, but for some reason I did not like the feel of the imitation ivory on the 340. For this reason I went back to the drawing board. After several trips back to the showroom trying different models in the same price brackets (including the Rolands) I happened to try the CLP280 and fell in love with it. It is another price bracket up from what I was planning to spend, but Jennifer's comments about the cost being forgotten in the future are totally right. I bought a new CLP280 this morning at a great price (they are making way for the 380's) and am really excited - it arrives tomorrow. Am already busy being sheet music off the internet. This was meant to be a piano for my daughters to learn on, but I think I will spend just as much time on it. As a child I often felt forced to play - the beauty of being an adult is you do it at your leisure for pleasure. I can't wait to get back to it.

Great choice Suzy!

With the arrival of the new CLP-3xx, i suppose you can get some CLP-240,270 and 280's for very good prices now.

The previous Yamaha flagship CLP-280 is a gem with it's IAFC system, String Resonance, even better amplification and speakers and very good Natural Wood keyboard.

Congratulations with your excellent piano!

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
S
OP Offline
S
Got it last night and I'm so happy with it. It is fantastic. A totally natural feel and very responsive keyboard, and a great sound. I am very thankful to this forum as I could read other's opionions before buying, and thankful to everyone who replied to my initial query.

I get the feeling that you're going to be hogging all the piano time from your daughter :-)

The 280 is an excellent piano...I'm sure you'll have many happy hours on it.

I've been in LA for the last 10 days so haven't been able to play my 340 :-(.

But I have got my 4 octave portable keyboard to keep me practiced.

Have fun with it!

Mark

I love the CLP280! Great choice!! Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Co-author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buying a Piano. I work for a West Coast dealer that carries Bosendorfer, Schimmel, Vogel, Wm. Knabe, and Yamaha.
P
P
how is the lifespan?? Im considering base on about 10 hours usage per month?? Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission