Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#683666 - 03/10/03 10:56 AM Digital Pianos Less Than $1,000 - Help
stewbjl Offline

Trying to choose amongst the following 4:
Roland D-150
Yamaha P80 (or maybe P60)
Korg SP-200
Suzuki Keyman KM-88s

I'm a new player. Basically I want very good acoustic piano sound and feel, but don't care that much about other bells and whistles. I want something that is well built, as my children will be using it for lessons in the coming years (they are 3 and 5 now)

Any help on deciding amongst these, or others I should be considering would be GREATLY appreciated.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#683667 - 03/10/03 05:34 PM Re: Digital Pianos Less Than $1,000 - Help
sleepyinseattle Offline

The P80 is a good choice. Check your local Costco if they have the Casio AP-28. There was another Casio mentioned on these boards that was of the sub-$1k category.

#683668 - 03/11/03 03:38 PM Re: Digital Pianos Less Than $1,000 - Help
El Guapo Offline

Loc: LA, CA
I just bought a digital piano myself. Make sure you shop around, first and foremost. Whichever you like the most is the winner, no matter what anyone says.

I tried the Yamaha P-80 and liked it quite a bit, but for an extra hundred bucks or so, I'd whole-heartedly recommend the P-120. It's basically the P-80 in a tougher case, better piano sound (so I've been told, the difference is too subtle for me to detect), and with speakers. I'm a newbie as well, but I figured it was worth stretching my budget to get something I was really going to enjoy playing.

I personally thought the Yamaha piano sound was sliiiiightly colder than the competitive Roland model (FP3), but it has a smoother and more even sound between keys; no awkward intervals that are clearly different samples. Even if you've already got a sound system, built-in speakers are quite handy. Plus its Harpsichord patch is superb, complete with the note-off sound! (which the P80 lacks \:\( ) Think about that if you want to play any Baroque music authentically

#683669 - 04/17/03 05:44 PM Re: Digital Pianos Less Than $1,000 - Help
jimmyD Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by El Guapo:
I just bought a digital piano myself. Make sure you shop around, first and foremost. Whichever you like the most is the winner, no matter what anyone says.

I tried the Yamaha P-80 and liked it quite a bit, but for an extra hundred bucks or so, I'd whole-heartedly recommend the P-120. It's basically the P-80 in a tougher case, better piano sound (so I've been told, the difference is too subtle for me to detect), and with speakers. I'm a newbie as well, but I figured it was worth stretching my budget to get something I was really going to enjoy playing.

I personally thought the Yamaha piano sound was sliiiiightly colder than the competitive Roland model (FP3), but it has a smoother and more even sound between keys; no awkward intervals that are clearly different samples. Even if you've already got a sound system, built-in speakers are quite handy. Plus its Harpsichord patch is superb, complete with the note-off sound! (which the P80 lacks \:\( ) Think about that if you want to play any Baroque music authentically[/b]
I just recently purchased a P-80 and really like it. It seems pretty tough that it's hard for me to imagine the P-120 being "tougher".

#683670 - 04/26/03 02:27 AM Re: Digital Pianos Less Than $1,000 - Help
eDust Offline

Loc: Sydney
My first post, yay. I bought a Yamaha P120 recently, and it was definitely worth the money. I've played real pianos for many years and the P120 feels real enough to play seriously. I don't know what the P80 is like. The P120 doesn't really have bells and whistles, it's a great digital piano, with a few extra features thrown in that I'll never use.

The sound is great, I use headphones and get to hear it in all its glory. My first reaction was that it's perfectly in tune, something I wasn't used to with real pianos. But this is easy to get used to \:\)

#683671 - 05/06/03 09:58 AM Re: Digital Pianos Less Than $1,000 - Help
LorenzoGonzalez Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I have had both the Yamaha P120(S) and the Roland FP-3 for a few months (the Roland for longer). The Yamaha is the more serious and realistic instrument in all ways. The Roland is a lot more fun and easy to play - but I'm not sure that's what folks here are looking for...!

Both of them require a serious speaker system, or great headphones, for the most enjoyment. I use a 4-speaker plus subwoofer setup on the Roland, and it will shake the room just like a 7 foot grand. I use Mackie monitors on the Yamaha, and if you close your eyes... boy oh boy. Playing a great computer-hosted sample from the Yamaha, through those great monitors, is about the closest I can get to the real thing for now - and very, very pleasing.

-Lorenzo

#683672 - 05/06/03 09:58 AM Re: Digital Pianos Less Than $1,000 - Help
LorenzoGonzalez Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
btw, I got my P120 for exactly $1000 (after tax!) from Guitar Center...

-Lorenzo

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
Today at 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
Today at 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
Today at 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, ajames, ando, AndresD, antony, 36 invisible), 1616 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157690 Topics
2316225 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission