Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#683824 - 03/18/07 04:03 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
DooJJoo Offline

Loc: Europe
swingal...wow, that was a really good story...

"The digital does not have to use hammers to affect a system of leverage and touch sensitivity..."...well, they dont have to...but the good once do!

amazing

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#683825 - 03/24/07 10:25 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
Devo Offline

Loc: Missouri
Rama,

I wanted to second the gem RP800, its right about your range. When I saw it at the dealer, it was next to a steinway grand. The keyboards were very similar to me. Steinway is also the main piano sound - which is very very good.

Also, I choose to avoid the portable because of the portable keypads, shake, as well as most pedals are a non-gradiated on/off (and often one pedal).

I ended up with it for its acoustic-like sound. If you get a chance I think it'd be worth your while. I can't imagine ever outgrowing it for wanting better sound.

#683826 - 04/22/07 09:46 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
Music Major Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Agent:
BTW, were you aware that you can run Ivory through your CLP230's internal speakers? Just wanted to make sure you knew all the options available. [/b]
Hello, could you tell me how to do this? I would like to keep the sounds of my Ivory inside the DP if possible

km

Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.

#683827 - 04/23/07 02:11 AM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
Richard Stark Offline

Loc: Hälsingland, Sweden
This is no problem. Use the Aux in of your piano. I've tried it myself. The sound system in my CLP-230 is of excellent quality so the sound is pristine.

Best regards,

/Richard

#683828 - 07/31/07 01:00 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
speedlever Offline

Loc: NC
Resurrecting this old thread... I wonder what rama bought?

I've spent the last few days looking, reading and trying to assess the current offerings as I am in much the same boat as rama. I've meandered around here for a while and now it's time to buy.

Many years ago I studied music but I haven't done anything musically in years. Consequently, my brain knows more than my fingers can perform.

I have a couple of kids around the same ages as rama's that need an instrument to practice on (just beginning lessons).

The choices I've considerd range from stage pianos to cabinet models. It's tough to know how much to invest when parents are encouraging the lessons and the interest and talent is unknown. Although I'd like to play some too, this is primarily for the kids to use.

Would a stage piano like the FP-7c (~$1450) or CP-300 (~$2000) be a reasonable instrument in this setting? Or would the floating damper pedal be an issue? Is there a 3-pedal block available that can be attached should the need for more than a damper pedal arise?

I'm also tempted by the GEM RP-800 (not locally available, unfortunately), the Kawai CA71 (if I can get the price to a reasonable figure), the Roland HP-203 (with same caveat) and the Yamaha CLP-240 (same caveat).

Perhaps I should jump in at the cheaper end (FP-7) and see what interest develops and move to a cabinet model later... unless initial learning and interest would somehow be compromised with a stage type DP.

I have the cash available to go either way, but want to make the best use of it given the above parameters.

Any recommendations?

#683829 - 07/31/07 07:22 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
Tony V Offline

FP-7 is the best stage piano out right now with it's PHA2 technology... That is until the Kawai MP8-II comes out with it's AWA Grand Pro 2, which will probably be like PHA2 but heavier since the keys are made out of wood.

If you are buying now, I would suggest FP-7. If you can wait for the MP8-II, you should go for that. Not sure when the latter will be released though.

#683830 - 07/31/07 07:55 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
speedlever Offline

Thanks for the suggestion. I need to buy something in the next two weeks... so I sorta have a deadline now.

One thing though, the MP8 doesn't have speakers. I want built in speakers whether it's a stage piano or cabinet model.

BTW, are the Kawai stage pianos available at places like GC or SA?

#683831 - 07/31/07 09:17 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
Tony V Offline

I've seen the MP8 for display at my local Sam Ash, but that was the only Kawai instrument they had there.

I found none of Kawai's instruments available at my local Guitar Center. Guitar Center's website doesn't list any Kawais either, besides some old used keyboards.

#683832 - 08/01/07 07:05 AM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
I just bought a GEM (general music) RP700 after having several other yamaha keyboards. The gem is leagues ahead and I got it for £600 UK (1200$?)it is really worth checking out.Its well built and the other piano sounds Rhodes etc are very useable.

#683833 - 08/08/07 09:17 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
Jon J. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Speedlever,

No disrespect to the digital forum here but I have spent a ton of time on the "acoustic" piano forum too and the advice there is overwhelming for beginners (and I would recommend you consider it too for your situation) - rent an acoustic upright. You can buy whatever is best for your family later on. . . . .

#683834 - 08/08/07 10:07 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
speedlever Offline

Joachim,

I appreciate the suggestion. However, that is not gonna happen. I've moved enough acoustic pianos and played out-of-tune ones to know that I will be buying a digital for that reason, if no other.

Thanks.

#683835 - 08/08/07 11:27 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
WhiteBear Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I second speedlever!
We were first thinking of getting a weighed keyboard as an intermediate step to getting an upright some time later. After discovering HP-200 series, no uprights for us, thanks! (IMHO DPs finally became superior to uprights in a similar price range)
Few years down the road, the choice between a grand and a high end digital would be a very tough one for us!

#683836 - 08/13/07 03:53 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
ABL Offline

Loc: Canada
I am close to making a purchase but hesitant, if Roland is on the verge of another KR higher than the KR 107. Hopefully, it will have a bigger LCD, comparable to the CVP 307.

Where do you get information that Roland is bringing out a new KR model next year? I would like to check it out before I make a purchase.

If anyone knows how to get this information on what is coming up in Roland KR (109? 200's) and when we can see them online would you please post this information. Thanks!

Anne

#683837 - 08/18/07 01:52 PM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
Blue80 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FogVilleLad:
rama, re the feel of the actions, when playing a digital the feel is more like pressing on the end of a lever; with acoustics - even uprights - there is a feel of setting a mass into motion.
[...][/b]
That depends on the model. More expensive digitals have a real hammer mass to set in motion to mimic the feel of an acoustic. It is plain to see on the demo key action models in stores.

I got a Roland FP4 for my 11year old to learn on. We like the modern styling. I was keen on portability for future versatility, since she can take her flute anywhere already.

#683838 - 08/23/07 08:55 AM Re: First digital piano for a 9 yr old
andgold Offline

Loc: Spain
Hello, Anne.

I guess we should see in 6 months new ROLAND KR-200 models...

.. They should match the updated specifications and design updates of the HP-200 line.

Just my guess, but the KR-100 series look now a bit old compared with he new HPs... I think they must be preparing a major update in the panel and features.

Best,

Andres.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, aesop, 36 invisible), 1307 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156853 Topics
2304699 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
31 minutes 29 seconds ago
Cardboard shim for loose pin. Anybody heared about it's
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
Sheet music question
by Coconutyoghurt
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
Smelly MP11 (or MP7)?
by rungabic
Yesterday at 10:32 PM
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
Yesterday at 10:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission