Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
76 registered (A2mom, AZNpiano, 36251, A Guy, Almaviva, accordeur, 16 invisible), 1188 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#683839 - 04/24/04 06:39 PM Yamaha CLP170 vs CVP210 Need help
tom37 Offline

Im moving from a house into a block of appartments in the near future which means getting rid of my current piano. Due to noise issues that means getting a digital piano with volume controls headphones etc too.

Now doing a bit of research i found there to be a lot of posts and good comments relating to the CLP 170 and its 'Realistic' feel and also great sounding grand piano sound. Having played on it for a while down the local music store, i feel that this is something i can live with.

Now my main question comes with the CVP 208-210, Unfortunately i cannot find a local dealer with one of these on display to try out. I am interested in these as well due to the versatility of the instrument but im worried ... will the 208 or 210 have the same grand piano sound and feel as the CLP 170 or will it have a muffled effect like ive heard a few people say about the lower end CVP's?

Need some input relating to the above please

(Price not a problem as an arguement against the cvp's)

Anyone have any experience of this, help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#683840 - 04/24/04 07:38 PM Re: Yamaha CLP170 vs CVP210 Need help
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
You can get a lot of opinions about this at www.cvpug.com, a great user group for Yamaha digitals.
I have the CVP900, a 210 in a mini-grand case with the "natural" wooden keyboard. Can't comment on the comparative piano sounds re the CLP, but I did prefer the 900's keyboard to that of the 210. Not sure what keyboard the 170 has. I think the new CLPs have the natural keyboard.

#683841 - 04/24/04 08:12 PM Re: Yamaha CLP170 vs CVP210 Need help
sonatina Offline

Loc: Illinois
The 170 and 175 are at the top of the CLP line. I have the 175 and love it! I think the CLP line is more for the piano purests, while the CVP line of clavinovas are more for those great technical people who love to compose and all kinds of other neat things they do with them.

#683842 - 04/26/04 10:02 AM Re: Yamaha CLP170 vs CVP210 Need help
tom37 Offline

Thanks for your replies, however my main question was if the CVP210 has the same tone as the CLP170. I have read somewhere that this does and some other places dont seem to mention it. The only reviews i can find seem to mention a muffled effect on the lower end CVP's.

Does anyone work in a piano shop that can comment on this or does anyone have experience of this?

End of the day I want a piano with the 'best' sound , but am interested in the CVP's capabilities only if the piano sound and action etc is the same as the CLP170

Thanks again

#683843 - 04/26/04 10:54 PM Re: Yamaha CLP170 vs CVP210 Need help
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
I think the only way to really tell is to listen to them side by side, since perceptions differ. However...

The CLP 170 has something Yamaha calls "active instrumental field control". Here's the marketing blurb:

Quote:
Yamaha has developed the exclusive iAFC (Instrumental Active Field Control), offered on the CLP170. The iAFC outputs sound picked up by a microphone, and combined with the Clavinova's internal sound through rear speakers, makes automatic adjustments to create a richer sound that best matches the acoustic characteristics of the room you're playing in. This feature incorporates three separate effects: DDE (Dynamic Damper Effect) can recreate the breathtaking resonance that occurs when you press the damper pedal down on a grand piano; SEE (Spatial Ensemble Effect) reproduces the reverberations and resonance of a real stage performance for a much more spacious sound; and NSB (Natural Soundboard) can be used to pick up sound from the microphone to recreate a virtual soundboard and assures an expansive, more natural sound.
The CVP 210 does not have iAFC (although it does have effects that sound similar, like string resonance.) Some people think it matters, others don't. Of course the iAFC effect per se only would be heard when you're using the speakers instead of headphones.

Another important parameter is the size of the piano sample. My best information is that the CLP 170 has a 36MB piano sample while the CVP 210 has a 112MB sample. That is likely to make a big difference in sound quality - bigger samples have more room for multiple keystrike levels, need fewer loops, sample more keys, etc. On my CVP900 I use a separate computer-based sound source that has gigabyte-sized piano samples and you can really hear the difference. But again, ya just sorta gotta listen to both if you can.

Finally, the CLP170 has the "GH3" keyboard as does the 210. The CLP175 and CVP 900 (mini-grand case) have the "natural" keyboard with wooden keys and a totally different mechanism. I believe the natural keyboard has a markedly better feel - YMMV.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
29 minutes 45 seconds ago
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
Yesterday at 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160005 Topics
2349671 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission