Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#683934 - 11/05/08 11:29 AM Need digital piano shopping advice
Bob Dole Offline

I'm looking for an 88-key digital piano in a slab form factor. I don't mind if it comes with a stand, but it must be disassemblable down to just a keyboard. My first priority is the realism on the action. I would prefer to have the action be as close as possible to an acoustic. My second priority is the sound quality. Since I'll be hooking this up to my computer, I won't mind poor-quality speakers or samples overly much, but it would be nice to be able to play it standalone and not cringe. My third priority is price. I definitely wouldn't mind a less expensive piano, but not at the expense of quality. Along with these three criteria, this piano absolutely must have either a classical MIDI or USB MIDI interface, bonus points for both. In addition, the price must be below $1000. To summarize,
1. <$1K
2. MIDI interface, classical and/or USB
3. Realistic action
4. Sample quality
5. Price

An example of a piano that I've been contemplating is the Yamaha YPG-635, but I'm not sure just how good the action is or if there are any superior alternatives.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#683935 - 11/05/08 12:53 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
YPG635 has GHS action, Yamaha entry level hammer action and a little weaker version of GH action of some better models to me. you just have to try it to see if you'd like the action. Yamaha P85, YDP140 and YDPS30 have also GHS action. the better models (around or above $1k range) P140, CP33, and YDP160 have GH action.

the current/new Yamaha DPs all have either USB port or midi input/output.

(btw (just for fun), are you actually related to Elizabeth Dole by any chance, who lost the election i heard.)

#683936 - 11/05/08 01:46 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
Michiyo-Fir Offline

I recommend yamaha P140 and CP33, you can probably shop around and get either of these for about 1000 dollars. They both have great action and great sounds.

#683937 - 11/05/08 01:52 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

You can get a Williams Encore digital piano
online for about $670, including factory
stand, bench, sustain pedal, and shipping.
People with $4000 digital consoles and
expensive grand pianos sneer at something
like this, but you can play anything on
it, from rock to big-time concertos.

#683938 - 11/06/08 12:04 AM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
The OP wants something with an acceptable sound and feel, Gyro. Besides, that thing is FUGLY!!!

#683939 - 11/06/08 10:36 AM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by LesCharles73:
The OP wants something with an acceptable sound and feel, Gyro. Besides, that thing is FUGLY!!! [/b]
don't you know that Gyro pasted his old message here which recommended a DP he wouldn't even care himself? that is probably a 10 year old message.

#683940 - 11/06/08 04:03 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Yup I've seen it at least ten times. Right along with "DP's being essentially a computer with keys and speakers", "Buying a cheap DP sight-unseen online is perfectly acceptable", "All digital Pianos are modeled after high-end concert grands giving each DP grand-piano like performance", and my personal favorite "All keyboard instruments play basically the same, so if you can play the piano decently, you can also carry your skills over to an organ, harpsichord,calliope, accordion, PSR keyboard, etc with absolutely no troubles what-so-ever".

Let's not forget his 1989 digital piano which he gave to his neighbor. It was so old it was virtually worthless, even though it played similar to today's digitals.

#683941 - 11/06/08 06:23 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
tenders Offline

Loc: Westchester, NY
I've never touched a Williams DP myself so I have no idea if I agree or disagree with his answer, but I find nothing wrong with Gyro's direct and specific response to the question.

Or his pattern of pasting frequent responses to frequently-asked questions.

Why don't people bust on new posters' apparent inabilities to STFF? Because it's rude, that's why. Well, if we don't do that, we can hardly complain about Gyro's repeated willingness to respond.

#683942 - 11/07/08 03:10 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
Bob Dole Offline

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm now considering the Yamaha P140. Does anybody have any reasons why I shouldn't get it?

#683943 - 11/07/08 03:27 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
keithos28 Offline

Loc: USA
Bob,
I bought a Yamaha YPG-625 earlier this year and never regretted it. So much bang for the buck I'm still learning and the sound is incredible.

#683944 - 11/07/08 03:52 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
portmanteau Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tenders:
I've never touched a Williams DP myself so I have no idea if I agree or disagree with his answer, but I find nothing wrong with Gyro's direct and specific response to the question.

Or his pattern of pasting frequent responses to frequently-asked questions.

Why don't people bust on new posters' apparent inabilities to STFF? Because it's rude, that's why. Well, if we don't do that, we can hardly complain about Gyro's repeated willingness to respond. [/b]
A better reason is that DPs are actively evolving and and answer to that question should be different than the one he gave in 2001. After reading this board for a while I find many of his responses disingenuous.

#683945 - 11/07/08 04:06 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
portmanteau Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dole:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm now considering the Yamaha P140. Does anybody have any reasons why I shouldn't get it? [/b]
I have been using one for a while, and I like it. If there is one complaint I have it is the action feels a bit sluggish to me because the keys don't return as fast as I would like. Its a minor nitpick though. I use it nearly every day with headphones, and, other than the above, I have no complaints.

#683946 - 11/08/08 01:08 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
FormerFF Offline

Loc: Roswell, GA, USA
I see that since Kawai has come out with the EP3, that some of the internet stores are now offering the EP2 for less than $900, so there's another possibility.
Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.

#683947 - 11/10/08 07:25 PM Re: Need digital piano shopping advice
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
The Williams Encore has only 32 notes of polyphony. There are plenty of digitals under $1000 that have 64 or more, so there's no reason to settle for less. True, digital pianos have some clever note-stealing algorithms, so you usually don't notice specific notes being cut off. But you will notice a drop in depth, lushness, or resonance when playing busier passages. (By busy, I don't necessarily mean flashy. Busy can be a bunch of slowly played chord inversions.) My Yamaha has 64 notes of polyphony and while it sounds completely natural, there is a noticeable decrease in the aforementioned qualities compared to Yamahas that have 128 notes.

Go to a store and try out DP's under $1000. Base your decision on which feels and sounds best to you, not what others (including me) tell you. The only ones I can think of that you might not be able to try are GEM's, because GEM has rather poor distribution in the US. The rest are carried by most dealers.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1281 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153594 Topics
2251114 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Today at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Today at 10:01 PM
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission