Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
122 registered (A Guy, Anita Potter, accordeur, ando, 34 invisible), 1411 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#684426 - 03/03/03 04:31 PM Portable Digital Choices
Eric B Offline

Loc: Michigan
I recently stumbled upon this Forum, and it really has a wealth of information. I've read many of the postings here, but wanted to get some opinions on my particular situation.

I have been researching a portable digital pianos for a while and am open to any brand. I currently have an upright Baldwin accoustic that I don't get to play as much as I'd like because I'll disturb the kids sleep, or I want more privacy, etc. I am not overly conerned with price, because there seems to be a reasonable limit for portables. Here are my man points of consideration:

1. Keyboard with great weighted action and graded hammer effect.
2. High quality accoustic grand sounds. I'd like to think that I will expand my usage to include other sounds, but for now I'll use it just as a piano.
3. Good speakers - most of the time I'll use headphones, but I don't want to have to hook up an amp/speakers when I'm not.
3. MIDI sequencing capability - I'm at least a pseudo-techno-geek, so I'll most likely hook up my PC or laptop to do this, so I don't think I need a workstation.
4. On-board teaching - I have a four year old that will be starting lessons soon, and I saw this capability on some keyboards. Is this function worthwhile?
5. I think I'd really use the transpose function.
6. Portability - I don't really care about the weight, but I do want to be able to break it down and move it easily.

Based on the above, I'm considering the Kawai MP9500 (no speakers?), the Yamaha P-120 or P-200, and the Roland RD-700.

I appreciate any suggestions. Steve Y, I would really like to hear from you as I've learned a lot from your previous postings.

Thanks!

\:\)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#684427 - 03/06/03 01:23 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
Rod Offline

Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi Eric. According to your requirements, the new Roland FP5 might be what you're looking for. As I recently posted, I just bought this new model a couple of months ago. I really like it. For more info, click on the link below.
Rod

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=11&subcatid=45&prodid=FP%2D5

#684428 - 03/06/03 04:49 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Hi Eric,
I'm afraid that I may not be as helpful as others here. I'm not as familiar with the consumer keyboard market, and some of the features you're looking for are most commonly found in consumer keyboards. However, I can tell you that although the Roland RD700 is a wonderful instrument, it doesn't meet some of the criteria on your list (on-board speakers and self-teaching). The good news is that you know what you're looking for -- you'd be surprised how many people don't. I trust that a little leg-work will go a long way in your search. Good luck.

#684429 - 03/12/03 03:05 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
Eric B Offline

Loc: Michigan
Thanks for your input Rod & Steve. You're right, I have an idea of what I want, but I have to agree with another posting I saw - once you start looking, it starts to get a bit daunting because of all the choices and options.

Anyway, I appreciate your responses.

#684430 - 04/17/03 05:41 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
jimmyD Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Eric B:
I recently stumbled upon this Forum, and it really has a wealth of information. I've read many of the postings here, but wanted to get some opinions on my particular situation.

I have been researching a portable digital pianos for a while and am open to any brand. I currently have an upright Baldwin accoustic that I don't get to play as much as I'd like because I'll disturb the kids sleep, or I want more privacy, etc. I am not overly conerned with price, because there seems to be a reasonable limit for portables. Here are my man points of consideration:

1. Keyboard with great weighted action and graded hammer effect.
2. High quality accoustic grand sounds. I'd like to think that I will expand my usage to include other sounds, but for now I'll use it just as a piano.
3. Good speakers - most of the time I'll use headphones, but I don't want to have to hook up an amp/speakers when I'm not.
3. MIDI sequencing capability - I'm at least a pseudo-techno-geek, so I'll most likely hook up my PC or laptop to do this, so I don't think I need a workstation.
4. On-board teaching - I have a four year old that will be starting lessons soon, and I saw this capability on some keyboards. Is this function worthwhile?
5. I think I'd really use the transpose function.
6. Portability - I don't really care about the weight, but I do want to be able to break it down and move it easily.

Based on the above, I'm considering the Kawai MP9500 (no speakers?), the Yamaha P-120 or P-200, and the Roland RD-700.

I appreciate any suggestions. Steve Y, I would really like to hear from you as I've learned a lot from your previous postings.

Thanks!

\:\) [/b]
You may not care about the weight, but the MP9500 weighs in at about 76 lbs. I don't think that's all that convenient to lug around very much. It does have speakers, though. It's suppose to have a nice touch and sound.

#684431 - 04/19/03 07:08 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
luckishot Offline

The Kawai MP9500 I played at the store apparently had no speakers (had earphones for demo). The spec sheet on the Kawai web site also does not mention internal speakers. However, the keyboard action (solid wood) and grand piano sound were fantastic. I'd highly recommend this model solely based on those two characteristics.

#684432 - 04/25/03 01:31 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
jello_g Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
The MP9500 has no built-in speakers. It is heavy and bulky so I don't recommend you travel with it too much unless you're really strong or have hired help. The touch is amazing - I have to open my eyes to convince myself I'm not sitting at a grand. To me it feels superior to many Rolands that I've demo'd. Perhaps the Kawai's wood keys have a lot to do with this.

I decided on the MP9500 primarily on the touch. Honestly, I think it's so good that it's improving my technique. But then, I spent a good part of my life playing a spinet. BTW, whenever I pull myself away from the MP9500 to play the Baldwin spinet, I feel that I now play with better control and nuance.

Of course the MP9500 doesn't sound as good as the real thing, but still pretty good for a digital. I'm piping mine through some speakers that sit to one side in my room so it doesn't sound optimal. I'll comment on the sound once I get my hands on a good set of cans.

#684433 - 04/25/03 03:18 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
jazzyd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Jello,

What sort of stand are you using with your MP9500?
I am in need something sturdy for my Doepfer keyboard, which is 55lbs or so (and currently sat on a "desk"). Any suggestions?

Cheers,

David

#684434 - 04/25/03 05:26 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
jello_g Offline

David,

I'm using a double-braced X-frame style stand called "Crocodile GT" made by Bespeco. It flexes way too much whenever I really get on the board. And because of the double-braced X-frame design, there is a tendancy to knock your shins against the frame if you're the type to swing your legs a lot. Your board is lighter and might not flex the stand too much under heavy playing, but nonetheless I can't fully recommend this stand. The only benefit with this stand is that it folds up easily for easy transport, but I don't gig so that doesn't matter to me. I'm looking for a better stand, but haven't really investigated what's out there.

Gerald

#684435 - 04/25/03 05:48 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quik-lok and Ultimate Support make great stands.

#684436 - 04/25/03 05:50 PM Re: Portable Digital Choices
jazzyd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks guys, I will check those out. \:\)

David

#684437 - 08/30/03 04:12 AM Re: Portable Digital Choices
jello_g Offline

I just got a new stand: Quik Lok model WS-550. It is rock solid (supposedly supports 250 lbs.) and far, far sturdier than the double X-brace I used earlier.

Thanks SteveY for mentioning Quik Lok -- I never really knew about them until you brought up their name.

#684438 - 08/30/03 11:12 AM Re: Portable Digital Choices
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Thanks SteveY for mentioning Quik Lok -- I never really knew about them until you brought up their name.

No problem. I'm happy you got something that works for you. Quik Lok stands are great -- I have two (one for my studio, and one for gigs).

#684439 - 08/31/03 04:13 AM Re: Portable Digital Choices
rajoo_dup1 Offline

Loc: india
dear eric.
recently i bought fp-5 from roland and it is simply very good piano with touch and sound is closer to accoustic.as this piano will meet most of your need just it does not have teaching facilities.otherwise it is realy verygood digital piano in its category. ofcourse it is little expensive model compare to other yamaha p-80/120/200/series.
dear steev y.
i am also looking to hear from you since long as i have posted topic re fp-5 on this esteem forum .i also learn from yuor earlier posting on this forum which helps me lot and i would like to thank u for the same. hope to hear u very soon and if possible comment on fp-5 from roland if it suits u give your valuable opinion which will again helps me and other new comeraslso. so thanks in advance and waiting to hear from you soon.regards.
raju from india.

#684440 - 08/31/03 10:30 AM Re: Portable Digital Choices
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Rajoo,
I'm afraid I don't have much experience with the FP-5. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you like the way it sounds and feels. If that's true, then that's really all that matters. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

#684441 - 09/01/03 02:13 AM Re: Portable Digital Choices
rajoo_dup1 Offline

Loc: india
hi steve y.
at last i recieved your valuable reviews.thank u very much for the same.
yes. you understand me correctly.i am saying that i like fp-5 the way it sounds and feel. realy this is very good piano for home and stage as well.
regards.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
12/19/14 07:15 PM
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
12/19/14 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160002 Topics
2349628 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission