Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#684786 - 01/26/04 08:15 PM Midi Software, soundcards, etc..
wiredbyduffy Offline

I'm new to the world of MIDI and am trying to use the quality action in my digital piano to play and record tracks using software on my PC.

I'm hoping that because this forum is full of enthusiasts of digital music technology, that I might find some advice to help me short cut my research.

I've set up a laptop and purchased a Midisport 2x2 USB Midi interface to connect my laptop to my digital piano. I have downloaded half a dozen demo MIDI sequencer applications like Cakewalk and FL Studio which have great features but fall short on producing the properly with the action of my DP. (sounds fall off too short, are delayed (samples), and in some cases cannot be played on more than one key at a time)

My goal is through a combination of hardware and software to in real time assign instruments and instrument layers to keys played to allow live playing with many voices. If I understand MIDI correctly my digital piano should send data on the key played, velocity, duration, and even pedal action, and then my computer should be able to assign one or many sampled or synth sounds to that data in real time.

I researched many forums and found terms like, SoundFonts, VST, etc... that seem to suggest various standard for producing instrument sound via MIDI where some sounds are sampled others are synthesized and many require a sound card.

Currently I have a laptop running XP at 800MHz that I can run my software on. So I am wondering what software can I use to play QUALITY sampled or synth instruments and if I need a sound card what would work for a laptop.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#684787 - 01/26/04 10:42 PM Re: Midi Software, soundcards, etc..
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
Are you trying to reproduce the MIDI file on your digital?

What digital piano do you own (manufacturer, model number)?

Which version(s) of Cakewalk(etc.) have you downloaded?

#684788 - 02/04/04 03:38 PM Re: Midi Software, soundcards, etc..
wiredbyduffy Offline

Sorry for the late reply.

No I am not trying to reproduce a MIDI file on the digital. I'm using the digital as a controller. Goal is to play the digital and have the sound play through my PC using intruments/tones on the PC.

Technics SX-PX663 is my piano. I deleted the Cakewalk software and cannot remember off hand. Problem with it was it would not work with the soundcard built into my PC.

#684789 - 02/04/04 08:13 PM Re: Midi Software, soundcards, etc..
Craig S Offline

Loc: Wyoming
I believe that if you are trying to play sounds through your PC then you will be limited by your sound card or soft synth software. Most built in sound cards that I have looked at have limited midi capabilities. That is, you are limited by the sampling that was done when the card was created or by the software program used to synthesize the sound.

My understanding of midi is that you can use your PC to do all kinds of manipulation of the midi format but for a quality reproduction of that sound you need to run it to a midi output device. I believe that Roland makes such devices.

I haven't tried it yet but my solution was going to be to create a recording on my Roland keyboard,send it to the PC in midi format, clean it up on the PC and then send it back to the Roland to use the sampling in the Roland using it as an output device. The Roland will decode and play the midi file. I then take the "audio" signal output from the Roland and send it to the PC as a wav file so that it ends up in an audio format as opposed to midi format for the finished product. I can then burn it on a cd and play it on a decent sound system.

Well that may have helped or confused you, but there it is.

Craig

No piano industry association. Amateur interests in playing and technical aspects of piano.

#684790 - 02/07/04 10:04 AM Re: Midi Software, soundcards, etc..
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
If you want quality sound out of your laptop, you need a soundcard that has good AD converters. Personally I would look at the RME-Audio stuff. They make really good converters and have a variety of configurations available for laptops and desktops.

One thing about soft synths and samplers, you may have varying results getting them to play in real time on your laptop. But once you get it up and going the results can be very good.

Ryan

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heading to the junk pile...
by Emmery
45 minutes 33 seconds ago
Piano make
by ali123
Today at 06:24 PM
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, Alan_Dublin, angga888, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 39 invisible), 1313 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158494 Topics
2327617 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission