Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#685105 - 01/02/05 07:46 PM Need help - looking for a good digital piano
Taladryel Offline

Evening, folks.

Basically, I am currently starting my search for a good digital piano, and thought I'd ask around for suggestions first. Especially since I know next to nothing about the things, and would want the purchase to last me at least 5-7 years.

As a bit of background, I've been playing for nearly 20 years, getting a couple of music degrees in the process (though I've never actually gone "pro"), and work predominantly on classical pieces. What this means is that my ideal instrument should a) have very good acoustic qualities, b) have a pretty realistic "feel" and c) be able to stand up to the rigour of daily practice (and withstand the intensity of certain pieces without falling apart). The other characteristics - recording, number of sounds, etc. - aren't really that important.

With regards to "acoustic" qualities, I already have a great set of headphones (Bose), so the piano's own speakers (good or bad) shouldn't really matter. I don't think.

Finally, on the issue of pricing - I would like to keep this under $2k US, if possible, but it's not a "hard" target. That is, if an extra few hundred dollars buys an exponential increase in quality, then quality it is.

Now, bearing all that in mind, any suggestions on manufacturers, specific models, things to look for (especially if I'm missing something), and even a good retailer up in the New York area, would be highly appreciated. Thanks much.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#685106 - 01/02/05 09:05 PM Re: Need help - looking for a good digital piano
Kenpcola Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
You have many brands and models for that price range. The best thing is go out and test any digital piano above $1500 and below 2000. Take time to play(just play the keys as you wish) and listen. You may bring your headphone so it is easier to evaluate the sound in detail. Many local piano dealers as well as musical instrument dealers(SamAsh, Guitar Center, etc.) carry digital pianos. Then, when you are ready to make final decision, post a reply here and ask for opinions regarding your soon-to-be-made final decision and hear what people have to say.
Otherwise, you will get only one answer in here:YamahaP250.
And to me, opinions are way biased toward just one model only.

#685107 - 01/02/05 11:06 PM Re: Need help - looking for a good digital piano
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
Are you looking for a stage piano (ie. portable), or a "consumer grade" (can't think of the word right now) piano (ie. one with cabinetry). In general, piano dealers will tend to carry the "consumer grade/home" pianos, and musical instrument dealers (places such as guitar center) will carry stage pianos. For example, piano dealers will carry the Yamaha CLP line, while musical instrument dealers will carry the Yamaha P-series.

If your looking for a stage piano, check out the Yamaha P250, and the Roland RD-700 (among others).
Otherwise, check out the Yamaha CLP-series, and the Roland HP-series.

But don't just stop there. There are other good manufacturers to look at as well, such as, Kurtzweil, Korg, Technics, and Kawai (I think I'm leaving something out).

In the end, rely on your own ears and hands to tell you which one is the best one for you, and don't hesitate to post any questions you may have along the way (or to let us know what you decide on).

Best of luck \:\)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (Art_Vandelay, Atrys, accordeur, ajames, 36 invisible), 1841 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156285 Topics
2295268 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
Today at 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
Today at 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
Today at 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
Today at 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
Today at 11:51 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission