2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
A
A
Wow, I didn't realize I posted 2 identical questions like that... I've been spacing out quite a bit lately. It sounds like the MP8 is still a cut above the FP-7?

Larraby Offline OP
OP Offline
Let's get real for a moment.

If you ask 10 people to name their favourite DP, you will undoubtedly receive 10 different answers. It all comes down to personal preference and how our unique perceptions determine the way things sound and feel to us.

I suspect the difference between comparable keyboards are at best subtle, and not at all dramatic as some may lead you to believe.

The bottom line is, if you like the sound and action, then buy it. I wouldn't depend on the opinion of others to influence your final decision.

T
T
Originally posted by AE_Charlie:
It sounds like the MP8 is still a cut above the FP-7?
I think you're still missing the point. IMHO the MP8 and the FP7 are not directly comparable except they are both digital pianos. Both keyboards have factors in their favor. Do you need built-in speakers? Do you need a keyboard under 50 lbs or is weight not an issue? How about auto-accompaniment? Is key feel and action most important to you or can you live with some compromise for portability's sake?

The question isn't which is better, but which is better for you.

larraby and The Pro, very well put! Gotta stop people trying to figure out who is the "winner" in digitals. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, which are mostly subjective anyway.

A
A
I don't need onboard speakers (since they're probably not great anyway) and weight/portability isn't an issue.

I was just curious about the fact that people said the action is better than the 700SX and the sound/samples might be pretty close. Most people say the action is the biggest difference between the 700SX and MP8, so I was guessing the FP-7 might be approaching the action of the MP8. It sounds like the MP8 is still better if portability isn't a concern and you want the best action.

Hey Everyone,

As promised, here is my review of the Roland FP-7, which I pre-order in Feb and received Monday, March 5th.

Sorry to take so long to post this review, but I wanted to try it for a week before posting comments.

Feel/action:

IMHO, I think the feel is the best Roland has offered yet. The PHA II is comparable to the PHA offered on the RD700SX, except the hammer action produces a more realistic hammer sound and the hammer kickback is more pronounced (noticeable). I personally really like FP-7's PHA II action. Comparing it to the Yamaha GH3, I agree completely with DooJJoo's comments above. PHA II replicates the quarks of an acoustic piano better than the GH3. GH3 is too smooth for my taste. I have never tried an MP8's action, so I can't compare.

Sound:

I really like the grand piano sounds and I really like the variety of sounds in the FP-7. I find it very similar to RD700SX. Agent, next time I am in the Guitar Center, I will test the RD700SX again and try to give you a better comparison. But to me, FP-7 sounds great. FP-7 also gives you a lot of features that lets you adjust the sound. IMHO, I personally think the sound is a lot better than any lower to mid range Yamaha, but comparable to high end Yamahas.

Speakers:

The speakers are good enough for home and exactly what I was looking for, but won't be powerful enough for gigging, so be prepared to buy amps or monitors if that’s what you have in mind. Also, it’s heavy!! So, giggers, keep that in mind, as well. Also, FP-7 sounds amazing with good headphones (I use Senn. HD280 pro).

MIDI controlling:

The FP-7 is a great MIDI controller. I have had no problems at all. I hooked it right-up to my computer via USB and it worked perfectly. I didn't even have to install any drivers. Awesome!! (I use Windows XP Pro...btw)

Looks:

It looks awesome. I bought the KSC-44 stand, which is the stand they make for the FP-7 and FP-4 and it is looks great in my apartment. The stand is really simple to put together and it is really solid! I highly recommend it.

Features:

FP-7 can't be beat. Now keep in mind it just was released on the market in the U.S., so of course it has all the latest goodies, but seriously this thing is loaded. It’s got the ability to play .wav files via USB, it has a mix-in plug where you can plug in your iPod, auto-accompaniment, 99 song onboard memory, 128 polyphony, and comes with free audio key software and Cakewalk Sonar LE. One of the nice features I like is it has three separate foot pedal jacks setup by default for damper, Sostenuto, and Soft. That way you can use this DP to play more complex pieces. One thing that always frustrated me in the past was that most Stage DPs only allowed two pedals and forced some player to buy console DPs just to have the three pedal feature. Not any more!! smile

Warrantee:

Roland's warranty is 90 labor and 1 year parts. I easily registered online.

Misc:

Buy a dust cover, this thing is a dust magnet!

Cost:

Bought from Musiciansbuy.com. I paid $1,795 for the FP-7 with the KSC-44 stand, and also got a great bench for free. Without the stand it is $1,595.

To me, the Roland FP-7 is the best deal right now, considering all the features and quality of this DP’s sound and feel.

Take care!

NYC_GUY

Roland FP-7
Larraby Offline OP
OP Offline
Nyc_Guy:

Thanks for your very detailed review.

The DP apparently has good sound/action plus great features, all at an affordable price. I can't wait until it arrives in my area so I can take it for a spin! thumb

D
D
Hi NYC_Guy!

Nice to hear that you are satisfied with your FP7! I'll have to wait a couple of weeks more for mine to arrive!

I'm new here and have had my FP-7 for 3 weeks.

I LOVE IT! I compared it to the Kawai MP4 and MP8 and the Yamaha CP series.

This is what I think,

This is the best $1795 I've ever spent. The new action is awesome. However, I think the "thunking" at the bottom of the strike is a bit loud, but I got used to it. The features on this thing are awesome, especially the USB/Ipod and Data Chip capabilities. The speakers are fine for the size. It's solid and it feels like a high quality action. I thought it by far beat the the action of the MP4, but the MP8 was as nice, if not nicer because it's not so loud, but then again, it has many nice features the MP8 doesn't have.

I really, really like this digital piano. It's esthetics are awesome as well. It really looks "modern".

I haven't tried many features, but plan on it. I usually use Finale as my note software and I love the usb port on this baby!

I would highly recommend it. For $1795 with the stand, you can't go wrong. Why pay $1000 more for a keyboard?

Time's a tickin!
Thanks for the review, and welcome to the forum MarKey.

I think your the first person to comment on the "thunking". Have you tried the Casio PX110? Is the thunking similar? A few of the keyboards I've tried in the past had that same issue. Is it the same or worse with headphones on?

How does the Ipod feature work? Does it operate just like the USB key?

So far the people who have tried this keybaord have been really happy with it. I didn't see too much enthusiasm for the FP-4.

D
D
Can someone who has tried both the FP-4's PHA alpha II and the FP-7's PHA II comment with a bit more detail on the difference in feel? Agent said that the FP-4 felt a bit mushy but there is a strong consensus so far that the FP-7's action is great. How much of a difference is there between the two?

Hi Agent, the thunking is not noticeable with the earphones at all. I didn't try the Casio, but I did try the Kawai ES8 and heard almost no thunking.

Maybe NYC Guy can elaborate on, " it has a mix-in plug where you can plug in your iPod"

I haven't tried the feature and have to learn more about it.

This is just a great keyboard for the price! I definately wouldn't pay more for it, but it's reasonable at $1595.00

Time's a tickin!
DaShiv, I didn't try a FP-4, but I can tell you the new FP-7's action is great in that the keys don't feel so plastic, they have more of a tacky feel about them.

I don't like the "Thunk" at the bottom of the key stroke, and if anyone has an opinion on how to soften it I'd like to know. I guess what I'm saying is it's not "Mushy" it's "Thunky"!

Time's a tickin!
The thunking that I have heard on other pianos, including the one I own, is due to a mechanical issue and is not fixable. I don't even notice it anymore though. Can you elaborate on the "plastic" comment please? Do you mean the top of the keys or the action? Did roughen up the surface of the keys? I've seen them do this on other models to good effect.

Agent, the keys are more "tacky" for lack of a better word. It's the top of the keys that feel different. They aren't roughened, they really feel like my keys on the acoustic grand. The Roland dealer said it has something to do with porous keytops for sweating I guess.

Time's a tickin!
Man that's cool. Roland really went out of their way on this model. They have loaded on a ton of features for a low price. It's like they took different features from their top models and combined them into this compact package. For example:

1. The "lid" adjustment feature found in the RD700SX.

2. Graphical display vs numbers as used in previous FP models.

3. An 88-key sample.

4. USB functionality.

5. "Porous" key tops.

IMHO they should drop the price on the FP-4 because with the slight price difference between the two models I don't see anyone picking up the FP-4.

D
D
Originally posted by Agent:
IMHO they should drop the price on the FP-4 because with the slight price difference between the two models I don't see anyone picking up the FP-4.
Except for those of us who have been looking at the likes of the Yamaha P-140 and who will already need to streeetch our budgets just to squeeze the FP-4 to fit in there. smile

Are all the features being mentioned here exclusive to the FP-7? For someone who would already be considerably over budget with the FP-4, that $300 step-up to the FP-7 looks mighty insurmountable. A clearer rundown of the differences between the two would be much appreciated!

The lid adjustment is really cool, but the damper noise is awsome. The session partner is really cool too! I really dig the recording options and USB capabilities too!

What about "VLINK" This is an option that allowes linked performance of music and video. I haven't got to use it yet, but I will man!

You can also perform with a music cd and minimize the vocals!!!

This is truly a great keyboard and the price is the fairest of all! I don't think it's underpriced, but surely not overpriced like most!

Time's a tickin!
Originally posted by DaShiv:
Are all the features being mentioned here exclusive to the FP-7?
The 88-key sampling is also on the FP-4. I don't remember the FP-4 having "porous" key tops though. I also forgot to mention the new PHA II action. The FP-4 has the PHA Alpha II action which is the "Compact" version of the PHA II.

D
D
DaShiv

Well. Sure FP4 is a nice good DP for that money!
No queastion about that.

BUT!!! I am sure that you will regret the FP-4 buy in a litte while...if you look at what FP-7 gives you.

The budget can be tight of course....but I can only speak for myself...I started up with a budget keyboard for $700 for two years ago, and now I want to change.

The difference in action between FP4 and FP7 isn't that big...so I would chose FP7 because of just that....so if you can live with numbers instead of real text of the instruments you are playing, with no USB-memory stick posibility, with smaller speakers and amp, with no wheel organs, no mix-line-in, less adjustable touch sensitivity, no playback possibility for Wav-files, no Headphone Jacks in front..

..then the PF-4 is the right thing to buy.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission