2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Originally posted by DooJJoo:
...no Headphone Jacks in front..
*gasps* I wasn't aware that the FP-7 had headphone jacks in front! That's significant for me. I found it annoying enough to point out that the FP-4 jacks were in the back, closer to the hammer mechanisms.

Larraby Offline OP
OP Offline
It seems that the "thunk" noise at the bottom of the key downstroke is the only negative comment that has been made.

Agent, do you think all DP have this problem to some degree or is it specific to the FP-7?

From my experience most DPs have it to some degree because of how the hammer mechanisms are implemented, however they aren't all created equal. I'm not sure why they are different, possibly felt padding? The worst offenders I have found so far are the Casio PX110, PX310, and the Korg SP250.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall any of the home pianos having this issue, possibly due to the larger consoles over the hammers.

In any case, to me this hasn't been a major issue. I own the PX310 and I don't even notice the "thunking" anymore. My gf hasn't even noticed (complained about) it yet either.

If this turns out to be the only negative thing about the FP-7, then Roland has really raised the bar, feature-wise, for their competitors. Let's see what the other guys come out with.

The FP-7 has two headphone jacks in the front!

Very convenient!

Time's a tickin!
D
D
DooJJoo,

It does indeed sound like the FP-7 offers quite a few useful features over the FP-4. I wish I had the means to pick an FP-7 up, but it seems like the FP-4 is already much better for my needs than the other DPs in my price range (such as the Kawai CN2, the Yamaha P-140, and the Korg SP250). I think I'd more regret going into debt from the FP-7 than merely "settling" for something as nice as the FP-4. smile

Thanks for answering my question about the FP-7 and the FP-4! It sounds like the difference between the FP-7's PHA II and the FP-4's PHA alpha II is much less significant than, say, between the CLP-220's GH and CLP-230's GH3. That was my main concern, but from what's been posted here I think I will be happy with the FP-4's PHA alpha II.

Yes, if you are set on Roland the PHA Alpha II is stiffer than their previous models (PHA, Compact PHA). I actually preferred the lighter PHA but I don't do any complicated pieces so I wouldn't know the benefits.

Originally I was concerned that the PHA Alpha II was the Compact version of the PHA II. I did not like the Compact PHA at all and avoided any keyboard that had it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the FP-4 action was actually stiffer than the FP-7.

You know what they say about debt:

"there's nothing you can park in your driveway that will give you a better feeling than being out of debt"!

DaShiv, I like the way you think man!

Time's a tickin!
D
D
Well, I think I could give your a little more of my thoughts about the FP-7 in a couple of days, cause by tomorrow my beauty will arrive...*smile*...

Grrrr. Rub it in why don't ya! :p

D
D
Agent...I like you too... smile

D
D
Ok, here is some more about the FP-7...

I have been playing all the evening with a big smile on my face. I think the PHA II hammer action is the best EVER made digital action. This will give Yamaha some sleepless nights...

When the new HP-200 series hit the market in august with this new action we will have e new tremendous impact on the home digital.

I am really impressed of the action and the claviature (I don't know how, but the plastic FEELS just like my acustic piano...yes I know it IS plastic...but my fingertips says it's wood).
It really "kicks" back.
Amazing!!!

The sounds, samples and the songs are sparkling.

This must be the best digital piano EVER made for this amount of money.

I shall hook it up tomorrow to my Denon stereo system...then we will see what this beauty goes for.

Going from a "budget" Yamaha keyboard to this Roland is like ...well it´s just not comparable.

So all of you who still wonder what you are going to choose...Roland FP-7 are the answer!

That's for all now...I have given Roland some free ad...but they deserve it. Good work!!!

S
S
So far the people who have tried this keyboard have been really happy with it. I didn't see too much enthusiasm for the FP-4.
Well I'll add a little enthusiasm for the fp-4.

Before, let me qualify a few things.

1. I have never tried the fp-7 (not available in my area yet).

2. I have only compared to an fp-2, several in the Yamaha p series (60,70 90,), a couple korg boards and a maudio prokeys.

3. I got what I consider a good deal so it made the price difference between the fp-4 and fp-7 a little more significant (I paid $1149 for the fp-4 with the ksc 44 stand. The fp-7 with the stand would be close to $1800 - thats $650 more than the fp-4)

First off the sounds are really good on this keyboard, I liked it instantly better than all the others I tried. I especially like how the piano sounds and plays in the upper octaves. I found in trying out keyboards the sound really fell apart here, where the fp-4 excelled.

As for the action I found it a little stiffer than I would prefer when playing at middle c, (the feel an octave up is perfect for me).

That said after the first hour playing it I have never noticed it, and I prefer the feel to my upright piano (which isn't that big of a compliment).

I won't go into too much detail of the sound as others have already commented on the fp-7 sound and the fp-4 is the same (minus the wheel organs)

But I must comment on how nice the session partner is for messing around. The drum sounds are really quite nice, I noticed right away that the cymbals are not harsh like I find most keyboards are (well the ones I have tried).

As for the things missing from the fp-4

1. Numbers instead of real text
I find that the registration covers this shortcoming quite well. just find the sounds you want save them to memory, and your done. Not that I wouldn't mind a better display but not worth $650.

2. no USB-memory stick possibility,
Not an issue for me. I use this for recording, as a controller, and occasionally live, and I don't for see needing this feature.

3. smaller speakers and amp
I almost always have mine hooked up either to monitor speakers or house speakers, so this is not an issue for me.

4. With no wheel organs,
I have been really impressed with the organ sounds of the fp-4 especially when combined with effects. Assuming the wheel organs on the fp-7 are better than whats on the fp-4 I guess I will miss this. But not being a big organ person myself, This is not a big factor for me.

5. no mix-line-in,
DooJJoo I'm not sure what you meant by this one? There are line ins on the fp-4. So I might be missing something here I'm not aware of.

6. less adjustable touch sensitivity,
This is the biggest one for me. I would love a setting between light and medium. I have gotten use to it now, but initially I was disappointed on this one.

7. no playback possibility for Wav-files,
Although this is a neat feature, my main use for this keyboard is in the studio, where I have lots of options for playing wavs! Also the line ins can be used live with a cdplayer/mp3 player, etc.

8. no Headphone Jacks in front..
I've only used the headphones a couple of times, and don't for see using them much in the future. And to me reaching around to the back for the two headphone inputs is not that big a deal.

So for me I didn't find the few differences between the models worth $650 - and really only 3 of them (organs, better action and touch setting) even mattered to me.

For a $1149 I got a stage piano, that plays very nicely, sounds great and is very simple to operate in live settings (with the registration settings).

I couldn't be happier.

$1149 with stand?? eek Where did you find it at such a low price?

Larraby Offline OP
OP Offline
Agent:

That's what I was going to ask... is that CDN or USD??

P
P
This all sound very promising.

Id like to know if the main piano sound is the same as the RD700sx or is it reprogramed or totally new sample,(Rolands finest laugh )

What about the electric piano sounds? No comments so far on these.

The stuff about the feel of the key surface sounds like pure sci-fi - theres no hype on Rolands site about this and I'm sure the Roland PR boys wouldn't miss a marketing angle like this.

A
A
Argh, I wish I had a chance to play the FP-7. I'm now stuck deciding between the FP-7 and the MP8. If the action is really that great, it might be a better deal.

Originally posted by puff:
This all sound very promising.

Id like to know if the main piano sound is the same as the RD700sx or is it reprogramed or totally new sample,(Rolands finest laugh )

What about the electric piano sounds? No comments so far on these.

The stuff about the feel of the key surface sounds like pure sci-fi - theres no hype on Rolands site about this and I'm sure the Roland PR boys wouldn't miss a marketing angle like this.
Puff. To answer your questions.

1. I wish it was the same sample as the RD700SX. That was the first thing I asked as well. It's similar in that it's an 88-key sample but it's not the same sample. I did a back to back comparison and there is a slight difference in favor of the RD700SX. Too bad. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. Save the money on making a new sample and just re-use their best sample to date. I wonder if it has something to do with memory storage space.

2. I've seen what they are describing, with the keys, on other high-end Roland models (the baby grand type). The tops of the keys are roughed up somehow to make it feel like wood keys. It's a nice feature but yeah this is the first I'm hearing of it on the FP-7 too. I'd take the Superior Piano sample over the nicer keys any day.

Originally posted by AE_Charlie:
Argh, I wish I had a chance to play the FP-7. I'm now stuck deciding between the FP-7 and the MP8. If the action is really that great, it might be a better deal.
Hey AE_Charlie,

I wish I could tell you about the FP-7 action but I haven't tried it yet myself. I'd be surprised if they were able to make it comparable to the MP8's action since the MP8 has all wood keys.

The reasons why I would purchase the FP-7 over the MP8 are weight, digital features, price, and size. I can't make a call on the piano samples because I couldn't test them back to back.

I hope you have a chance to test out these keyboards. I would hate for you to make a decision just based on what you read here.

D
D
Solafide - That's a nice price! And I am happy that you are satisfied with your FP-4!

About the piano sample. I have not tried the RD700SX. So I cant tell if it is a difference or not. All I can say is that it sounds really good. And looking at the Roland site it says that FP-7

"Equipped with Roland’s finest 88-key multi-sampled piano sound engine, each and every key of a full concert grand has been painstakingly reproduced"

I'll guess that good enough... thumb

I can tell you guys this about the piano samples; I have an acoustic grand and since I'm spoiled with real acoustic sound, going to the FP-7 piano sounds is an easy switch. I love the piano sounds on the Roland FP-7. I usually love to switch to many sounds on a digital, but since I got this baby (3) weeks ago, I find myself using only the Piano samples because they are that good. You would have no problem appreciating the quality of these samples.

Also in regards to the MP8 piano sounds, well...they're nice, but they are an acquired taste as are most Asian pianos. Because they sample their own pianos (Kawai), you'll always hear those "strange, sometimes sour overtones". For me, like their acoustics, their piano tone is way too complex. I think Roland has the best samples around.

I don't know why Roland isn't hyping up the keytops because my salesperson did and he was right to do so.

People, for the cost of this digital, it's such a no brainer! It is sweet!

Time's a tickin!
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission