2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
GR23 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I want to get a keyboard ( light up keyboard)I need to be able to insert a memory card with MIDI files so that it plays through the piano, but I am looking for one with a specific function... I need one that will light up the proper keys with any midi file that I put in and not just the pre-programmed music. Do you know of any that can do this ?

Thank you for your help.

B
B
The Yamaha Clavinova CVP series have LED lights that can light up for any file loaded.

Brant Barron

Lancaster Piano Company
Gainesville, GA

Established 1949

www.LancasterPiano.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
IMO, light up keys are a horrible gimmick. Now, if all you have are midi files without sheet music then you might get some benefit from it but you could also take the midi files and with a bit of work turn that into sheet music.

All you do with light up keys is get stuck with trying to learn things that you can get it midi format.

A piano may look confusing at first but you have to remember that it only consists of repeating groups of 7 notes. The black keys are just flats/sharps of some notes. I would rather spend money on a decent keyboard (light up ones tend to be toy like) and just take a bit longer and learn how the notes on sheet music map onto the keyboard. Then you'll free yourself to use any sheet music available.

I would also suggest going to test out any keyboard you wish to purchase. Take a trip to any music store that sells digital keyboards and see what they sound like. I started my piano journey on a ypt-310 from yamaha and it was pretty cheap. That piano was a Christmas gift to me but it only lasted a few months before I got a full 88key digital piano. The sustain on the original ypt-310 was laughable. I couldn't make some music even sound correct because notes would decay too fast. I no longer have that issue. I also laugh at the unweighted action when I feel it and wonder how I ever played anything at all on it.

So go ahead and test if you can, try out a lighted model if they have one and see if the feature even feels practical for the purpose that you want it for.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do a search on "lighted keyboard" and read up...

Lighted keyboards won't help you play piano.
A piano teacher will help you play piano.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission