Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#686538 - 11/04/04 04:08 PM digital pianos
jojo777 Offline

Can you please help us? We are trying to decide on a digital piano for our 10 & 13 year old kids. Has anyone heard of Valdesta or Adagio. It seems Yamaha is more expensive. We're trying to keep the price under a thousand dollars, if possible.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#686539 - 11/04/04 06:22 PM Re: digital pianos
wallacetai Offline

Loc: Melbourne
Hi,

I'm an adult beginner and I am going to buy the Roland HP103. For your budget, I think the Yamaha CLP115/CLP120 or Roland HP101 or older model of Roland HP1/HP2 will be a good choice. If you want a portable one, Yamaha P60 will be a good choice too.

Cheers
Wallace

#686540 - 11/04/04 07:53 PM Re: digital pianos
fojae Offline

If you want to save money, look into getting a stage piano like the yamaha p60 wallacetai mentioned, or the p120.

Also, if you really need your piano to look a bit like a real upright, look at the ydp113 or ydp223. These are equivalent to the clp115 and clp120 (I think) and are much cheaper because they (along with the yamaha p60 and p120) are sold at discount music stores like guitar center and others. The clavinovas are sold only through piano dealers and usually have a much higher markup.

If you want something really inexpensive, but with a decent 88-key weighted hammer action, look at the casio px-100 and px-300. These may not wear as well as a yamaha or roland, but you can't beat the price at $500 - $600. There's also the closeout ps-20 which has even better action at around $600 - $700.

You will need to figure in the price of a bench and stand if you buy a stage piano like the casio or yamaha p series pianos. The ydp and clavinova series include the stand and bench.

#686541 - 11/04/04 08:19 PM Re: digital pianos
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

The PX-100 AND 300 are not very good instruments at all (in my opinion) Look at the YDP-223 or one of the portable pianos.....P-60 etc.
Propiano

#686542 - 11/05/04 02:45 AM Re: digital pianos
wallacetai Offline

Loc: Melbourne
I just pay for my HP103 today, it costs me $US 2080, believe it or not, it is the cheapest price I can get it from Melbourne (I think price in USA & UK are always cheaper than Australia \:\( (

Even Casio PX-100 cost $US 1000 here in Australia, that's why I rather pay more for a better digital piano for the next few years \:\)

During my search of piano, I've tried Casio PX-100 and PX-300; I think the sound of Casio as fojae mention are not as good as Roland or Yamaha.

A few points about Yamaha (which I have struggled to make a decision for the last few weeks).

Yamaha (no matter home digital piano or stage piano)
- has a heavier action
- has a brighter tone

Roland
- has a lighter action which in most opinions(all the sales person in different music store in Australia who play piano for years) are more close to a real grand piano
- has a more mellow/soft/european sound compared to Yamaha

In my opinion, I believe Yamaha and Roland both are top of the range equipment, so either way, you won't go wrong and should be happy with the purchase. If your kids still play piano in the next few years, maybe you should consider by a real acoustic piano as no digital piano can give you all the control/actions/feels/sounds as a proper acoustic piano.

However, I think if you can spare the few bucks (believe me, I use my credit card to pay for my ~$2000 Roland HP103 and I have no more cash than you), get a home digital piano instead of the stage piano will be better for your kids, as it has the proper foot pedals which may motivate them to get the piano course more seriously. Also, the stage piano (such as Yamaha P60, Casio or even Roland) do not always come with speaker or come with a "not-so-good-quality" speaker, which may not give you the ideal sounds.

As I am an adult beginner who "just" purchase a digital piano, my comments may be wrong, you should always go to the local store and listen the piano and let your kids help making the final decision.

Cheers
Wallace

#686543 - 11/08/04 03:32 PM Re: digital pianos
Andthenhesaid Offline

I am 13 years old and last christmas i got the Yamaha 223 i think it is , and its very good maybe too pricey though.

#686544 - 11/09/04 11:21 PM Re: digital pianos
dbm Offline

The PX-100 is amazingly light. The price is very attractive even with the stand. For some reason I feel a regular home stand invites more serious learning/playing than a stage stand. The slim profile takes up very little space in my bedroom and the touch ( in my opinion ) is better than many digitals costing much more. I paid 6 times the price for a Korg digital many years ago and the graded hammer action is a big improvement over the older digital's simple weighted actions.

On the other hand the speakers are quite weak. Certain parts of the plastic case tend to buzz at certain notes even at not so loud volume. The grandpiano 1 is stereo. The others sound like mono to me though they are decent and fun.

So far I feel that the touch, weight, profile and the convenience of built-in speakers are well worth the cost. One can always add a midi module and external amplified speakers.

#686545 - 11/11/04 01:26 PM Re: digital pianos
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I have a Yahama P120. It's a very good instrument. I prefer having a stage piano to one that's built into a case. I had to by the Z-stand and the second pedal separately, but the keyboard cost me just under $1,000. The store where I bought it was listing it for $1,299. When I showed them I could get it on the Internet for $999, they matched the price!

#686546 - 11/16/04 05:33 PM Re: digital pianos
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
i suggest you get the Valdesta. they are selling it online at wwbw.com, and it's under 1 grand ranging from $800-$1000. it's the cheapest digital piano you can get. i agree w/ Wallace. the stage pianos aren't as natural as the digital ones, b/c they lack some of the qualites that digitals and naturals have, such as foot pedals and the acoustic sound, needed for the serious player. you can get it if you're desperate, though. and wallace, i somewhat disagree with you about the Clavinovas. right now i don't have the suitable funds nor enviromental means to get an acoustic piano. so i'mma be content with my digital for the next few years, and have access to an 'organic' piano, mind you. besides, i can always go to my local music building to play an acoustic piano.

#686547 - 11/16/04 10:05 PM Re: digital pianos
CSG Offline

I'm pretty hot on the Yamaha P series (I'm using a P-120 in my studio). They feel good and sound good.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (bennevis, AndrewJCW, BB Player, ando, angga888, 16 invisible), 1265 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293076 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
58 minutes 32 seconds ago
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission