Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#687386 - 03/17/08 07:01 AM Yamaha YPG-625
didda Offline

Loc: Croatia, Republic of
I'd like to buy Yamaha YPG-625 (or YPG-635), so I'd like to know what are your experiences with that product, its faults, advantages, benefit to cost ratio. Is it better to wait the new model YPG-635 which will be improved little bit.
The main question: does anybody knows will keys be the same as on YPG-625 (gradded hammer standard - GHS), which has that clicking noise, or did they improve it in
gradded hammer (GHE) like on P - 140.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#687387 - 03/17/08 10:45 AM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
keithos28 Offline

Loc: USA
I just bought a YPG-625 [last month] and so far I am really impressed. I have not noticed any clicking noise(s) on the hammer keys!!? I did have to get one of the keys repaired, since it was louder than the other 87. But my unit is still under warranty. The unit has quite alot of features [like the styles/VOICES/Track Recording] for the price. I am weary of how Yamaha markets their new products. Is one really getting more for the buck on the YPG-635 versus the YPG-625? Does YAMAHA just revise the existing model add a couple of new features [which you may not need ] and then jack up the price on the new model?
I guess one would have to do some sort of re-search on this to determine the answers. I mean do you realy have to change your digital keyboard every 2 or 3 years? Maybe technology is changing so fast that the question maybe answered with an emphatic "YES". ??!! I dont know.
It would be cool if we could have an existing thread on the YPG-625. Didda, Maybe we could use this one?
The existing manual does not refer to the new VISTA operating system [ if one wanted to down load software] . So suppose one is thinking of replacing or buying a new computer? What then? It will most probably come with VISTA! Anybody know if YAMAHA has a 'patch' for the VISTA operating system so it can interface with the YPG-625?

#687388 - 03/17/08 12:40 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
from the specs, YPG635/DGX630 will still have GHS action (nothing changes on that), but with better polyphony - 64 instead of 32 on current YPG625. it's the best you get the latest version (since it may include some updates on minor things as well), unless you got a great deal on the older one.

#687389 - 03/17/08 02:14 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Didda,

I have the ypg-625 and I love it. In my mind, it's by far the best DP for the price you pay.

The only thing I don't like is how loud the keys are. Especially if you play with headphones on (I always do). Then I guarantee people in the room get irritated by the constant noise. So bottom line, try it before you buy.

#687390 - 03/18/08 01:12 AM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
Orez Eno Offline

Loc: New England
 Quote:
keithos28 wrote:
Anybody know if YAMAHA has a 'patch' for the VISTA operating system so it can interface with the YPG-625?
Yes. When I connected the 625 to a VISTA computer, communication could not be successfully established. I downloaded the latest driver from Yamaha site and presto, it worked.

I was easy to see that it did not work the first time because the "Music Downloader" program, which Yamaha supplies to transfer data to and from the computer, has a convenient "Connection Check" button. It failed the first time. After installing the proper VISTA driver the button reported successful connection between the computer and the 625.

Quote:
knotty wrote:
The only thing I don't like is how loud the keys are. Especially if you play with headphones...
Yes, the keyboard makes clicking sounds that are noticably louder than my Clavinova CLP-230. However I find it acceptable.

I have learned the following using digital pianos. Many people keep the volume too low, especially when wearing headphones, and as a result they tend to bang harder on the keys. By turning the volume up to about 80% when using earphones you will naturally play lighter on the keys. Remember, an acoustic piano has no volume control. In an average room an average acoustic piano is very loud. So the pianist reacts by playing lighter on the keys. On a digital piano it is very tempting to turn the volume down when you want the sound to be reduced. But it is better to keep the volume high and simply play more lightly on the keys. Indeed, by playing more lightly you take better advantage of the instrument's dynamic range.

Now, I have a question. Has anyone used "AKOUSTIK PIANO" software from "Native Instruments" on the YPG-625? If so, how well did it work? I am skeptical that the 625 may not send proper MIDI signals to take full advantage of the software, especially with respect to different recorded sounds for different dynamic ranges.

#687391 - 03/18/08 09:38 AM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
keithos28 Offline

Ok Didda, I see what you are driving at, when you talk about the “clicking noise” .
I presume if the scenario presented itself when you have the head-phones on and someone else is near the DP, then ‘they’ hear it.
I guess I have always played the instrument with the sound coming through the speakers/amp and never really noticed. If I had the headphones on, I probably would not notice unless someone was to say something.
But to me it does not affect performance or sound because if the DP is going though an amp/pa system/Multi-tracker or through it’s built in speakers, you can’t hear those so-called,
The ‘Clicks’. [ Sounds like a rock-group name]

Orez, brings up a good subject matter, ‘software’ compatibility for the YPG-625.
No I have not tried “Native Instruments” . Can any one suggest any web sites for YPG-625 compatible midi files? Are there compatible Midi files for tempo loops?

#687392 - 03/18/08 10:11 AM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
btcomm Offline

Loc: California
I'd also be interested in knowing how and what kind of software/hardware options there would be on this model. I have seen this model being played by a jazz player on YouTube and he's not using the YPG's internal sounds but with an external hardrive and piano software. Would love to know how all this works.

#687393 - 03/18/08 01:15 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
keithos28 Offline

Btcomm,

was that the guy [on Youtube ] playing 'Fly me to the moon'?
or was it someone else, send me the clip URL,
thanks

#687394 - 03/18/08 06:20 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
btcomm Offline

Keithos28 ------
It wasn't the guy playing Fly Me To The Moon but a guy named Alfonso (PianistaItaliano)
This guy is great. He has 57 or so videos on YouTube and most all are on his DGX-620/YPG-625 (same model) digital piano. When you get to the link below also click on "More From: PianistaItaliano" for the rest of his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ6_YBCMT6c

#687395 - 03/19/08 10:33 AM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Someone on this forum uses the akoustik with it, because a while back he had posted a recital piece and i was floored at how beautiful it sounded. I knew he had a ypg 625 and when I asked him he said he used akoustik. I'll see if I can find the link

here it is, it's Sid the one who recorded this with his ypg 625 and akoustik

http://www.box.net/shared/du97q1yi5r

#687396 - 03/19/08 01:12 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
Orez Eno Offline

Loc: New England
 Quote:
Oxfords gal wrote:
it's Sid the one who recorded this with his ypg 625 and akoustik
That is a very impressive recording. It seems to have very good dynamics, which was my main concern. I think I know what I will be spending Bush's economic stimulus check on.

By the way, I'm not dissatisfied with the sound of the YPG-625's piano sounds. For the price it's pretty darn good. And yes, I did try all the EQ settings, and some do work better than others using various connection configurations. I feed the audio (headphone) output to a Bose amplifier/speaker unit, which produces very good sound, though not quite stage quality. However, there is a very slightly artificial (synthesized) quality to the piano sounds of the YPG-625, particularly in the second octave above middle C, the 5th octave the way I count them. But the truth is, I didn't buy this keyboard for it's piano sounds anyway. I already have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-230 which performs very well in that regard. I bought the YPG-625 for general entertainment playing popular music using it's wide variety of instruments and automatically generated accompaniments, which it seems to do very well. I am very happy with the keyboard. At the same time, if I can improve the piano sound quality for about $200, why not? I already have a fairly good computer (CPU speed = 2.2 GHz) connected to the YPG-625 anyway. Who knows? Maybe the Akoustik Piano software will sound better than the resident piano sounds on my Clavinova?

I hear Bush's check will be in the mail about mid May.

#687397 - 03/19/08 03:11 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
keithos28 Offline

That pro PianistaItaliano on youtube, appears to be a professional. He has requests for his CDs and appears to live in Germany while he is originally from Italy. On his videos he does not appear to be using an amp or any software; he seems to be "tickling the ivories" with just what's available on the YPG-625. I sent him a message asking him about amp and software; will let you know if he replies. By the way; most of you probably know this; apparently this site http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/ appears to have the monopoly on software, midi-files, styles, etc ... for all kinds of Digital keyboards including of course, the Fab 625. I was looking for a SOCA/Calypso [ beats - from the Caribbean] loop style(s) but to no avail, they don’t have it, but they have nearly everything else.

#687398 - 03/19/08 03:19 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
Tony V Offline

On PianistaItaliano's "When You Wish Upon a Star" video, the description says he uses a "Steinway & Sons Model D sounds sampler". If you read one of his comments for that video, you'll see he uses a lot of external goodies. He mentioned 15 gigs of piano samples too. He is definitely not playing with just the onboard sound.

didda: You should get the P-140. I have one and it's great. I definitely don't get any "clicking" noises when I play. If you are spending in the price range of a YPG-625, you might as well go for a P-140 since it has the GHE which is the better action. It also has better sound sampling (3-layer) for the piano sound. I got mines for $850 total by asking for a discount.

You can get a whole ton of features and extras connecting the dp to your computer or buying external hardware.

Of course, if you like lots of onboard/integrated features, perhaps the ypg would be the better choice. I prefer to get all the extras through software though.

#687399 - 03/19/08 03:29 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
Tony V Offline

double post... delete

#687400 - 03/19/08 10:13 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
btcomm Offline

I had contacted Alfonso (PianistaItaliano) maybe 3 months ago and he said he uses Tascam Gigastudio with Steinway D from Sampletekk and then went on to mention the computer requirements to use it all together. I'm sure that just some of his external stuff costs much more than his digital. Since he is using the digital piano as his controller he probably just likes the action on this particular model. Never heard the DGX-620/YPG625 sound better.

#687401 - 09/30/08 09:00 PM Re: Yamaha YPG-625
Eliseu Carvalho Offline

Loc: Brazil
I have a DGX-620 :-)
I think it's one of the best models available if you want to pay less than $2000. It's one of the best instruments I bought until now - and I had a lot of them, including digital and acoustic pianos, organs and keyboards.
The only little issue is that it's not too much suitable for touring, as it's a bit heavy and you have to treat it with care. But if you want to buy it for studying, home playing or even for your home studio, it's great.
I have a video of myself playing my DGX-620 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV7J6seeixY

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
09/19/14 07:08 PM
Who's Online
66 registered (aesop, Al LaPorte, allakart, beet31425, 12 invisible), 849 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315433 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission