Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
90 registered (ando, bennevis, 36251, 27 invisible), 1181 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#687437 - 12/07/04 11:21 AM New PF500
saw Offline

Loc: Florida

Well, I'm excited. Just got off the phone with my wife, and my new Yamaha PF500 was coming into my living room. Ironic, since I'm helping to move my old upright to its new home this afternoon.

It's been quite a process. I kept telling myself that I couldn't get a new piano until I moved to a higher level of ability. I'm an adult beginner, have been playing for about 2 years, working my way through the Alfred series (will I ever finish with book 2?). Anyway, realizing that my old upright was a good learner piano, but not a good candidate for any type of rebuild, I impulsively posted an ad in the local paper, and sold it to a good home the first day the ad came out.

Like others, I struggled with whether to go with digital or acoustic, really believing that I'd go acoustic because I tend to be a purist about such things. I even had a deposit down on a used Charles Walter studio, but decided I didn't like its tone well enough.

So...I decided that, rather than rush into buying an acoustic, I'd get an inexpensive digital. Originally, was looking more at models around $1000, comparing the new Casio privia px400 to the yamaha p120 and kawai ES3. I decided on the P120 based upon feel of the keyboard, the quality of the piano sound, and other users experiences (posted here and elsewhere). Well, I went to order one (from emusicgear), got to talking to Dave about various questions, and he offered me a good package deal on the PF500. I was very interested because that is the model I had picked out previously, but decided that I didn't want to spend that much on a digital. I saw the digital concept as a great way to have an inexpensive instrument for fun and learning, but not as a serious musical commitment. So I purchased the PF500 with bench and a midi sofware package and free shipping.

My hope is that, with the PF500, I'm getting bothe the flexibility of a digital instrument and a close approximation to the acoustic piano experience. Will have to see about that.

I'm thinking of getting a powered subwoofer to help with the low end and possibly a set of wireless headphones for the ultimate practice experience. Any experience with either of these?

Thanks for listening.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#687438 - 12/07/04 11:31 AM Re: New PF500
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
congratulations on your pf500! you certainly got a pretty good deal on that. it's a great piano and i like it very much as well. hope you enjoy it!

#687439 - 12/07/04 08:29 PM Re: New PF500
Kenpcola Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Good price for the PF500. Way better than P120 in features, sounds, and amplification. You don't need seperate keyboard stands. It already has 3 pedals. Look nice for the living room too.
Subwoofer may not be needed. Try it out first with onboard amplification. If you need one, you don't really need huge one. Average size is more than enough.

#687440 - 12/11/04 02:12 PM Re: New PF500
Mr. Smith Offline

I just bought a PF-500 on the 7th as well, what a coincidence! I didn't get quite the deal that you got, though. I paid $2,049 + tax for it. No extras \:\( .

Nevertheless, I love it. I played a bit when I was a child, and I took a few courses in college. We played on Clavinovas back then (1994), but they didn't sound anything close to the quality of the PF-500.

I took a look at the PF-1000. It has a lower note polyphony (which I assume means it sounds inferior) and it has the same speakers and amplifiers as the PF-500. I'm not sure why someone would pay an extra $1000 for it. Anyone?

Regardless, congrats and enjoy getting through the rest of book 2.

#687441 - 12/11/04 07:59 PM Re: New PF500
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
PF1000 has some extras, which includes a bigger LCD screen. see Yamaha site for more information:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesList/0%2C6384%2CCTID%25253D205900%2C00.html

but of course, for piano usage, PF500 is more than enough, and i don't think PF1000 is a better investment either.

#687442 - 12/13/04 03:29 PM Re: New PF500
saw Offline

Loc: Florida
Thanks for all the good feedback.

#687443 - 01/03/05 03:22 AM Re: New PF500
helenh Offline

Loc: Rangoon, Burma
Congratulations on your purchase. I too have been very happy with my PF500 since I bought it mid year. I am an intermediate level pianist. It does seem to need playing-in, so it will sound better and better as you keep playing it. Love the harpsichord voice and the church and tutti organs too.
Have fun

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160009 Topics
2349748 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission