Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (Akshay, Adam Schaaf 58265, Alex, 30 invisible), 1248 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#687886 - 05/28/08 10:02 PM Should I buy a used Roland KR7?
john49 Offline

Loc: Rochester NY
My son has been playing piano for several years, and is a fairly creative musician. He actually took to the piano long before lessons. He would just sit down and start improvising. Not to brag, but he has a good ear. The rub is our old spinet is starting to fade, and ultimately needs to be replaced. We have come across a used Roland KR7, that seems to be in good shape, from a dealer, with a one year warranty in the $3-4,000 range.

I know nothing about these things, but this digital piano seems to have a lot of great features and versitility for someone who is interested in composing, improvising as well as standard playing.

The question I have is, am I paying too much, will an older unit hold up, with a MIDI/USB connection will we be able to easily hook up to various software applications on our PC? Will it work with a MAC?

Thanks for allowing such a novice to tap your collective brains.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#687887 - 05/29/08 03:58 AM Re: Should I buy a used Roland KR7?
Discotheque Offline

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I would recommend getting an acoustic... IMO acoustic > digital always... and if you're willing to spend 3-4 grand on a digital, you can probably get a pretty good upright for that. I don't care what anyone else on other threads post... a digital does NOT feel or sound like an acoustic, I've been playing piano since I was 5 and it's always obvious to me when playing a digital that it's a digital.

#687888 - 05/29/08 03:03 PM Re: Should I buy a used Roland KR7?
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

There are several considerations here, in
my view. First, if he's playing on an
old acoustic upright now, and you simply
want an electric replacement for that, then
you can get a good, new weighted-key digital
console for as little as $400 to 500. This
would have grand piano-like sound and
action and would enable him to continue
with what he is doing now. It would have
computer connectivity, but few other
bells and whistles.

This KR-7 model seems to be very expensive
when new, but this is one of the pianos that
is for showroom sales only, and dealers
can't even list prices on the web, so one
can only guess what they sell for new.
I would guess roughly in the $5000
price range new. So a used one for $4000
is selling at a discount, but not a large
enough one, in my view. Digital
pianos are essentially computers with a
keyboard and speakers, and they are priced
like computers: a pc that sold for $5000
new couldn't be sold for $4000 used, since
the technology moves so fast; a used one
more than a few months old would have to
sell at around half price. And it's similar
with digital pianos: used ones take a
tremendous hit on price, since the technology
is digital and moves so fast. This piano should
be selling at around $2500, or even less,
used, in my opinion.

Also, there is a less-expensive Roland
arranger piano, the KF-7, which apparently
has almost the same features of the KR-7, and
it sells for around $3500 new (used ones
sell for less than $1500). The
difference in price is apparently due
to the fact that the KR-7 has a much nicer
cabinet, 3 built-in pedals, a larger
LCD screen, and the latest Roland action--
but you only need one pedal, and digital
pianos have had good weighted actions
since the 1980's.

#687889 - 05/29/08 09:03 PM Re: Should I buy a used Roland KR7?
Tim Wat Offline

Loc: Northern California
My personal context as a performing musician may taint my perspective, but FWIW I would suggest for that kind of cash either going with a decent acoustic (Discotheque is right, an acoustic is always better than a digital EXCEPT when it comes to portability for performing musicians) OR consider that you can spend less money on a standalone digital piano, decent amplification and computer-based solutions that will provide all of the options the KR-7 gives you - just not neatly wrapped up in one piece of furniture.

I realize that home digitals have a target market, and that I'm not that market (with bedrooms full of synths and keyboards). So the attraction of an all-in-one solutions with high WAF may be very important to you.

But keep in mind that getting a nice digital piano, powered speaker, Macbook and Logic Studio will cost about what you're thinking of spending and provide your son a complete professional-level solution he can learn on, gig with, record with, compose on, and won't EVER outgrow. Plus, components can be upgraded when you/he want to - as technology marches forward.

Just food for thought.

#687890 - 05/30/08 12:11 AM Re: Should I buy a used Roland KR7?
strider1 Offline

you should post some recordings of him. I love hearing talented young kids.

#687891 - 06/14/08 05:55 PM Re: Should I buy a used Roland KR7?
Music Lover1 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Don't know if you're still in the market for a piano and if the Roland KR7 is still available, but that piano is awesome in every way and the finest home digital piano ever built up through that time. Best action, piano tone, instrument reproduction accuracy, dynamic response keyboard action, user touch-screen interface, 16-track micro editing sequencer recorder, and performance capability you'll find. The 3 built-in pedals are very cool because you can also program them to activate and control many of the panel functions of the KR7. Beyond that, the KR7 is the best piano you can get a person who loves to improvise, compose, orchestrate, and create music It's definitely worth at least $3000 used if it's in good shape. These pianos are not easy to find and were the top of the Roland line not too many years ago.

As far as the portable KF7 goes, it is different in a number of important ways and doesn't really hold a candle to the KR7. The only real downsides of a KR7 is that it does not have a USB input or output port and it will depreciate more over time. However, an inexpensive MIDI to USB converter cable-box will solve that USB issue and anyone who owns a computer or cell phone understands and expects depreciation on those products. And yet they still buy them. So depreciation issues should not be a major factor in playing and enjoying music. Also, The KR7 should hold up for a long time if it's taken care of properly.

To compare it against a current low priced Yamaha or Casio digital piano is like comparing a slightly used Mercedes Benz against a new Chevy Cobalt or Hyundai Accent! The newer cheaper product doesn't come close. Whoever suggests otherwise has never played the Roland KR7 and has little if any actual real experience in the digital piano business.

Finally, not every good piano player NEEDS an acoustic piano or should have one. Anyone who says otherwise has a personal agenda and a very narrow mindset about music.

#687892 - 06/18/08 07:58 AM Re: Should I buy a used Roland KR7?
kbdguy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
 Quote:
Originally posted by Music Lover1:
Don't know if you're still in the market for a piano and if the Roland KR7 is still available, but that piano is awesome in every way and the finest home digital piano ever built up through that time. Best action, piano tone, instrument reproduction accuracy, dynamic response keyboard action, user touch-screen interface, 16-track micro editing sequencer recorder, and performance capability you'll find. The 3 built-in pedals are very cool because you can also program them to activate and control many of the panel functions of the KR7. Beyond that, the KR7 is the best piano you can get a person who loves to improvise, compose, orchestrate, and create music It's definitely worth at least $3000 used if it's in good shape. These pianos are not easy to find and were the top of the Roland line not too many years ago.
To compare it against a current low priced Yamaha or Casio digital piano is like comparing a slightly used Mercedes Benz against a new Chevy Cobalt or Hyundai Accent! The newer cheaper product doesn't come close. Whoever suggests otherwise has never played the Roland KR7 and has little if any actual real experience in the digital piano business.

[/b]
Amen to all that! I own a beautiful Oak KR7 which is a fabulous instrument. Unfortunately, due to a change in my financial situation, I find it necessary to sell it locally. Anyone needing additional info, please send a private message.

Regards,
Tim Schaeffer

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can you help me?
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
07/29/15 09:39 AM
Somewhat OT: The happy birthday song copyright case
by fizikisto
07/29/15 09:30 AM
Left/Right hand independence
by lionus
07/29/15 09:16 AM
Roland F130R have back ground noise.
by nigelchen
07/29/15 08:17 AM
Other Ways To Get Acoustic Sounds?
by Groove On
07/29/15 06:05 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,184 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,824 Topics
2,430,825 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission