Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#688606 - 04/30/04 02:17 PM Which (portable) stage piano?
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

I know this question has been asked many times and recently, no less, but the past threads did not really answer some of my concerns, so please bear with this post.

My church has an outreach preaching point that uses a small cinema theatre early on Sunday mornings. Each time, the band needs to set-up and dismantle quickly before the cinema is used for movie screenings. The band consists of drums, bass and lead guitars, and keyboard, which are all plugged into a mixer and amplified through speakers.

At the moment, the keyboard is actually a fairly old donated Yamaha CLP-something. The main problem with this is that it is furniture-style, weighs a ton and has to be lifted off a dolly with wheels in order to be at the right height for playing; it also takes up a lot of space. Another thing I dislike about the CLP is its very-far-from-acoustic action. Most of the keyboardists who play on this instrument are classically-trained pianists and find the CLP disconcerting.

I would like to donate a new keyboard to replace the CLP, if only to solve the weight problem. I believe that means I should be looking at pro stage pianos. My burning question is: will a stage piano be easy to set-up and dismantle (say on one of those Quik-Lok stands), including a foot pedal?

I have narrowed down my other criteria to the following:
1. MUST be portable (less than 70 pounds would be good); on-board speakers not required.
2. Should have an action close to that of an acoustic piano.
3. Should have a good piano sound, but also capability for other synthesized sounds that can be mixed with the piano for more sustaining effect.
4. MUST have music-desk/stand for sheet music etc.
5. Budget up to US$5K, but can be increased, if justified.

From past threads, the preferred models seem to be Yamaha S-90, Roland RD-700 or Fantom X-80 or Kawai MP9500. I do not really understand many of the terms in their specifications, but I suspect I might not need so many functions. And I do not quite see the differences between a regular stage piano and a work station. Or should I be looking at a synthesizer instead? What is the difference?

There are so many choices out there that I would be every so grateful if someone can shed some light on what I should purchase for my church. Thanks.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#688607 - 04/30/04 04:42 PM Re: Which (portable) stage piano?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I think you're probably best off with a Stage Piano. And yes, it's relatively easy to set-up/tear-down. My church does it every week!!!

We use a Quik-Lok X-stand that's double-braced for more stability. The stand in my studio is more stable, but it's not very portable. The double-braced X-stand to me is the best of both worlds. But I'm sure there are stands out there that I don't know about.

Here's what I'd do for under $5k:

Roland RD700 stage piano -- approx. $1800

Roland Concert Piano (SRX-02) expansion board. At around $240, it's well worth the cost as it has some incredible piano sounds. It's easy to install (trust me on this), and you'll be very thankful once you hear it!!!

SKB keyboard case WITH WHEELS (very important). $350

Quik-Lok stand: either QL-642 (the one I have) which is about $110, or the "Monolith" stand which is about $125.

Optional:
Roland KC350 keyboard amplifier $500 This is a great amplifier. It allows the player to listen to him/herself at a volume that's independent of what's being sent to the sound board. In other words, the player can turn themselves up or down without affecting what comes through the sound system -- pretty cool. It also has enough inputs for several keyboards or other devices -- it won't become obsolete!!!

Roland EV-5 expression pedal. $75. Allows the player to adjust volume (or other controller functions) with their feet. Very helpful in a church setting.

As for the music stand/desk, I don't recommend making this a requirement. You'll end up getting an inferior keyboard just to gain a music stand. Just buy an external stand.

I'm partial to Roland because of their sound quality and their commitment to the church market. But there are equivalent products made by other manufacturers such as Korg or Yamaha.

This is a pretty great little set-up for about $3k!!!

#688608 - 05/03/04 01:25 PM Re: Which (portable) stage piano?
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

SteveY, as always, you dispense gems in your replies. Now, if I can only persuade the donor of the Clavinova that it would look better installed permanently in the choir room in church!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
57 registered (Abby Pianoman, Anticlock, AndrewJCW, aesop, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1077 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305131 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
Today at 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
Today at 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission