2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Geof175 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hello,

I'm new to digital pianos and audio recording.

I have a Roland HP103e DP (cabinet) mainly used (99%) with the main Grand Piano sound.

I think the sound is ok but not great.

Same feeling for the action, ok but not great.

I'm not an accomplished piano player, so I won't consider my opinion as relevant for others.

I would like to improve the piano sound by using external Hifi/Active Monitor speakers (around 500$).

My first question is : Does that make any sense to you or do you think I won't hear a significative sound improvement.

Moreover, I'm wondering if switching from a HP103 to a top of the line (RD-700GX, MP8ii) is an interesting solution to get better action and sound.

After reading a lot of posts about stage pianos, I know some strengths and weaknesses of the 700GX and MP8 but don't know how they compare to
a low/mid range cabinet DP like the HP103.

I'm nor interested in the portablility (stage) neither in the design (cabinet). I'm interested in getting better action/piano sound with a budget of around 2000$ (+ speakers).

Should I stay with my low/mid range HP103 or should I consider switching to a top of the line stage piano ?

Can anyone share its experience and help me to understand this ?

PS : No DP retail store here, so I can't try the different models.

Regards.

Geof

S
SSB Offline
S
I don't think swapping to the RD-700 would make any sense unless you specifically want the extra features and an element of portability - it doesn't come across like you do. You'd still have to source good quality monitors for a stage piano. As for the MP8ii - it's probably the heaviest stage piano out there - without trying it and seeing how you like the sound and action, I don't see how anyone could make a recommendation.

In terms of the sound of the HP103, you could add a piano module (Gem RP-X, for example) to give you more options for sounds, or spend on a decent laptop with something like Synthology Ivory for a software solution.

If it were me, I'd get some well rated studio monitors (preferably on approval) and try them with the HP103 and see whether that made a significant difference to the sound.

User ratings are the work of the devil [Linked Image]
G
Geof175 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
SSB,

I do agree with you. It seems a little odd to switch to a stage piano if you don't need the extra features.

But when you buy a cabinet-type piano you also pay for the cabinet, internal speakers, ...

So I came to the conclusion that for the same price, you should get a better DP by buying a stage piano (knowing I also need to buy external speakers with the HP103). When I compare the price of the 700GX to the price of the CVP-409 (both high end DPs), ... It seems to confirm that.

But maybe it is a mistake to compare a 700GX with a CVP-409 or HP207 in terms of quality, sound, action, ...

That's where I need your help.

Regards.

S
S
Hi, I'm also interested in knowing if it make a big difference to use external speakers with laptop and software like pianoteq or ivory for example rather than using native speakers and sound of an average DP.

G
Geof175 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
SSB,

I understand that it is difficult to make a recommendation on two models of the same range (subjective).

But here, I just want to know how high end stage DPs compare to cabinet-type DPs (low/mid end such as HP103/203 and high end such as CVP409).

I've seen so many posts saying that the 700SX was outstanding.

But is it outstanding as a stage DP only ? Or even when compared to HE cabinet-type DPs.

I don't know anything about stage DPs.

Regards.

Geof

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Geof175:

Can anyone share its experience and help me to understand this ?
Here's thoughts on sound, can't comment on keyboard feel. When I first got my P140 I quickly got tired of small sound. I plugged it into my stereo system which happened to be in the same room and didn't cost any new money. Really made a big improvement. As part of a friend moving I inherited two more good speakers. Since my stereo has surround sound, I hooked the additional speakers up and that made another big improvement. I've never been wild about the 3 basic piano sounds on my P140, so my next step is to buy some software like Truepianos or Pianoteq. Since I already have the PC that's only another few hundred dollars and I can still run it through my stereo system. If you've got a stereo it might help you get a feel for what spending more money is going to buy you. They rent speakers and PA systems around here, not sure you have that option available in Belgium. If you do, it might be worth renting a small sound system to see what it's like.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
G
Geof175 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the information MarkL.

I have a Macbook and an audio interface (only used as an audio input at the moment).

The audio interface has 8 (jack) outputs so I'll try to find 2 active monitors to test my setup with softwares like Pianoteq (trial already installed on the Macbook but I'm not mad of the sound thru internal speakers or cheap headphones).

However, I'm still curious about how the 700SX/GX and MP8 compare to my low/mid end HP103 regarding action.

Regards.

Geof

And maybe I will try to

G
Geof175 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
One more question :

Do you think a pair of Yamaha MSP5 would be a nice upgrade to my Roland HP103 ?

Any advices ?

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission