Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#689111 - 08/27/03 05:06 PM Korg SP-500 vs Roland FP-5, please help!
conan Offline

Hello,

I just started learning the piano and I'm looking for buying a digital piano. I read some of the discussions here and most of the people suggest that I should buy one based on the sound and touch. I tested a few pianos, like Kawai ES1 & L1, Yamaha P60, P120 Roland FP-3 and Korg SP-300. I can tell the difference of the touch, although I don't know which is better?! But the sounds seem similar to me! What should I do to distinguish between their different sounds? Should I test the low/high notes and not the middle? Or is it just a matter of taste?! Or am I too confused because I just started?

I also need your advice in which model to buy, feature wise. The Korg SP-500 and Roland FP-5 stand out for their features, but I couldn't see any, because the local stores don't have these 2 models. From the specs SP-500 has more features, no speakers and no usb, while the FP-5 has speakers, usb, less features and it's more expensive. Does anyone have any experience with those 2 models? Please share your experience.

Thank you.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#689112 - 08/28/03 09:12 AM Re: Korg SP-500 vs Roland FP-5, please help!
MT Offline

Loc: DC
I have played the FP-5 in stores and am suitably impressed for the money. In my experience, Roland quality is excellent, and I like the touch

#689113 - 08/29/03 08:48 AM Re: Korg SP-500 vs Roland FP-5, please help!
rajoo_dup1 Offline

Loc: india
dear coman
i am rajoo from india. recently i bought roland fp-5 which is now one month old with me .honest review for the fp-5 is no doubt it is best digital piano in this range,i tried all like yamaha p-80/120.korg sp-300/500.but roland won out from all above in touch and sound and quality of piano. naturally fp-5 is expensive compare to those but as i stated quality of piano is simply unbeatable in its category.fp-5 is basicaly stage/home piano.it comes with built in speaker which is usable for home practice.i realy suggest u to please look in for fp-5 and u wont make wrong decission.i fully satisfied with its all features which is very good.all the best and be in touch.with warm regards and best luck.
raju from india.

#689114 - 09/03/03 06:31 PM Re: Korg SP-500 vs Roland FP-5, please help!
conan Offline

Thank you very much for your replies.
But did anyone actually compare the FP-5 to Korg's SP-500? In terms of tuch and sound? I found lots of comments on Rolan's FP-5 , but not much on Korg's SP-500. If you have worked with SP-500, please let me know what you think of it.

Thank you.

#689115 - 09/04/03 01:27 PM Re: Korg SP-500 vs Roland FP-5, please help!
Luke's Dad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mid Atlantic
Unfortunately, I haven't had too much experience with Korg, and as you stated, there isn't exactly a whole lot of info available on them. What I can tell you is that in this range, you usually get what you pay for, so even if the Roland is a little more, there's usually good reason. I personally favor getting everything in one package, ie. stand, speakers, etc...., as I'm generally a lazy person and don't like having to go shop for the right speakers, stand, cables, etc... Plus, having to connect and reconnect all the time gets to be a hassle.

The reason why there is so much info available on the Roland model is simple. It's one of the most popular models being made. If they are getting favorable reviews by everybody, I would feel very comfortable getting one.

#689116 - 09/17/03 10:47 PM Re: Korg SP-500 vs Roland FP-5, please help!
georgemoe Offline

I just started learning piano about a month ago and decided on an FP-5 as well. I was originally leaning towards a Yamaha P80 or 90, but liked the Roland FP-3. Fortunately once I compared the FP-3 to FP-5 I was willing to go the extra money. Plus Guitar Center sold me their new floor model at $300 off.

From the information I got here I was able to narrow my product selection and thank those that have posted so much great information.

#689117 - 09/20/03 07:02 AM Re: Korg SP-500 vs Roland FP-5, please help!
rev Offline

Loc: Bristol
I seem to be stuck in terminal indecision over buying a digital piano at the moment.

I also considered a Korg SP300, but I didn't really like the feel of the keyboard and also I don't think that the sound is as good as the Roland Fp-5 or Yamaha P120, both of which are a bit more expensive. I didn't really look at the SP500, because, from the brochures, it seemed to me that it has a lot of facilities I'd never use. Really I'm just after the piano and maybe the church organ/harpsichord type sounds.

It can be a bit difficult to choose between pianos in a fairly noisy store too. There are some MP3 samples for the Korg and FP-5 which you may (or may not) find helpful at:

Roland FP-5:
http://www.ke-musik.dk/Upload/HtmlArticles/Article1048/FP_5_KE_Musik.mp3

Roland FP-3 (which is similar but without the speakers, so maybe more comparable with the Korg Sp500 anyway):
http://www.roland.it/demo_audioFP3.htm

Korg Sp500:
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=SP500

I'm at the stage of umming and ahhing between a Yamaha P120 and the Fp-5. Basically I like the keyboard on the Fp-5 most of all but it's more expensive that I originally wanted to spend. The Yamaha is very good value but... dither, dither, dither.

R

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buying a piano
by tim1889
09/20/14 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Who's Online
114 registered (AB99, acortot, aesop, Alan F, A Guy, 36 invisible), 1185 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157639 Topics
2315476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission