Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#689806 - 10/04/04 05:29 PM Yamaha dgx505 or...?
teth Offline

Hi,

I am a beginner and I want to get a digital keyboard. I know absolutely nothing about these things so I'm not sure which ones are good. I went to Costco recently and it seems like they are selling a Yamaha DGX505 88-keyboard for $600ish.

Since I know nothing, I hope someone can tell me whether this is a good keyboard and whether this is a good price for it. I know I am a beginner so I don't exactly need a really really high-tech and what-not keyboard. Should I go with instead something less expensive?

Or, does anyone have a good suggestion for a keyboard??

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#689807 - 10/04/04 07:58 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
DGX505 may not have weighted keys. if you want to eventually move onto pianos, you need to get a digital piano with weighted keys (which simulates the acoustic piano keyboard). you can get a cheap digital piano (with weighted keys) for $600 or less, such as Casio PX100 (which BestBuy has), but it may not be as great as some more expensive brand/models. so, check out the specs for each digital piano/keyboard, and try to play on any one available to see if you like the feel of it before making any decision on buying one.

btw, here is one site you could check out:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c505

#689808 - 10/05/04 03:11 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
teth Offline

Thanks.

Is BestBuy a good place to buy keyboards btw?

#689809 - 10/05/04 03:55 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
Lightnin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by teth:
Is BestBuy a good place to buy keyboards btw? [/b]
I dont think Best Buy will have the digital pianos with the good weighted key action. Go to a Guitar Center (really!), they will have a good choice. Other actual musical instrument stores likely will too, but probably less selection and it is variable. Look at something like the Yamaha P120 (about $1200), at least look for a comparison to anything else. Its sort of the current standard in this regard. You may want to add external speakers for any of these, but this can be added any later time.

The choice really depends only on your goal. If you want to take lessons and be a serious piano student, you really want the weighted keys. I am making that assumption for you. But if not, then maybe not.

I'm near end of my first year, and I bought a $300 DGX202 at first, just to test the waters, to be sure I was interested in learning piano. That was a good plan for that purpose, if it turned out I wasnt really interested, thats enough expense. But I was, and then it was only good enough for 3 months, until I got where I could play some, when the unweighted (toylike) key feel became a big issue. Simply very far from being like a real acoustic piano.

So I sold it and got a P90 (like a P120, but without internal speakers), which is very close to the real piano feel. These particular digital piano models wont have the hundreds of other voices, or the accompaniment features, that even $200 keyboards have. They do have a few options, but basically they just have great piano sound and right feel, for a good price, considering.

#689810 - 10/05/04 06:34 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
teth Offline

Hmmm. But see the thing is though, I don't think I can afford the P90 at the moment (not especially when I don't know if I will definitely be a committed student).

Hmmm.

#689811 - 10/05/04 06:48 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i saw Casio PX100 at BestBuy not long ago for $500, if you could afford that. otherwise, get at least a better keyboard with at least touch sensitive/response option, which would at least give you an opportunity to play now. Check out Yamaha PSR serious models (especially latest one), which may cost around $200-300 something depending on number of keys as well.

in case you do want to spend $600 or so, get a digital piano with weighted keys at least, not DGX505.

#689812 - 10/06/04 08:41 AM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
kbdguy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Teth,

If you are looking to spend $500-$700...

DGX505 will give you a lot of fun and hours of enjoyment with the many features it has. But you cannot seriously play piano on it because of the key feel. If your goal is to have fun with all kinds of instrument sounds, MIDI files, and accompaniment backing, this is a very entertaining keyboard.

CasioPX100 will feel much more like a real piano than the Yamaha, but won't have all the fun stuff on it. It's probably the least expensive digital piano with a piano feel. If your goal is to learn to play piano, this would be a good starter keyboard for you.

If you want to go to a discount store like Best Buy or Costco, don't expect anyone there to know anything about the keyboards. You need to go to a real music store like Guitar Center or Sam Ash and talk to someone who knows the keyboards and can explain the pros and cons of each to you so that you can make a good decision.

Good luck and have fun. I'm sure once you've made your purchase, you will find your new venture into music-making a real joy.

#689813 - 10/06/04 10:56 AM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
mark2048 Offline

Try the px-300, it has all the features of the px-100 mentioned above, plus some of the fun stuff found on the dgx.

#689814 - 10/06/04 12:50 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
Lightnin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by teth:
Hmmm. But see the thing is though, I don't think I can afford the P90 at the moment (not especially when I don't know if I will definitely be a committed student). [/b]
That was exactly my case at first too. I simply had no clue what learning the piano was about. I assumed I might not stick with it, because many do not. So my idea was to get in real cheap to better learn what the situation was about, and to learn enough to better judge my interest. If my interest was real, then pay the price to fix it. If not, then I was only out a minor expense.

I know some will disagree, but in this context, frankly, the DGX500 is overkill in price, because its keyboard is still not a proper solution. It really only differs in the frills instead of the important key action. The lowest DGX or even 61 key PSR will suit that same purpose too, at first.

There are many basics to learn at first, we are not playing concerts yet. We are trying to learn to read the note as an A, and then trying to find the A key. We're trying to devlop a little finger control and dexterity. So at first, it just needs to have a few keys of any kind. A beginner wont know the difference at first.

I bought a low end DGX first, which was nice, but if I had it to do over, I'd spend less. A $230 Yamaha PSR293 is 61 keys, but otherwise essentially the same model and features as the low end DGX. So in that way, it is the same solution as the DGX500 in regard to this short learning test. 61 keys will be plenty for quite a long time, no problem. It's been a year, and I have not been near the ends yet. If it is about playing piano, the real issue is the good weighted keys. (and sound becomes an issue too)

My only surprise was that this short test was much shorter than I imagined, because the proper weighted key feel was an important factor. It became a problem in 3 months, but until then, I didnt know the difference. Sure, I could have used it longer, but the keys were becoming a very noticeable issue, not fun.

I priced my first keyboard for a quick sale, and lost 1/3 on it, but that's really a minor expense for the purpose. It was a planned expense, I knew at the start it would be sold one way or the other, I just didnt know the reason yet. I think it was a good plan. It was sure worth it to me, it did a lot to help me learn what my goal was. It would have seemed far worse to spend a lot more with the same result.

#689815 - 10/06/04 11:17 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
teth Offline

Thank you all for your great advices. \:D

I will look into this. Hopefully, I will have a keyboard by the end of next week.

#689816 - 10/07/04 07:36 AM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
kbdguy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Teth, let us know what you buy!

#689817 - 10/07/04 12:06 PM Re: Yamaha dgx505 or...?
digiguy Offline

teth,

One thing to consider when shopping is whether or not there is an input for a pedal. Check with your teacher as to when you will be needing it.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
09/22/14 09:31 AM
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
09/22/14 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
09/22/14 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
09/22/14 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
09/22/14 06:37 AM
Who's Online
130 registered (Anne'sson, ando, ajames, 46 invisible), 1645 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157688 Topics
2316142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission