Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#690990 - 09/01/08 02:07 AM Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer.
Yanksrule56 Offline

What is the best way to do this? I am a little bit confused on the issue. I know I have to buy a USB type B cable, but once I connect that, what do I have to do? The CD the keyboard came with doesn't contain any executable files other than an SMF converter (btw, what does this do?).

Sorry if I am missing something really simple. Is there a program I am supposed to use or something? It is described very vaguely in the instructions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#690991 - 09/01/08 02:17 AM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer.
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Yanksrule56, I would recommend you visit fellow PianoWorld forum member Mahlzeit's excellent website. It explains the process of recording both MIDI and audio from a digital piano to a computer, and should answer most of your queries.

http://www.pianoclues.com/how-to-record-piano/

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#690992 - 09/01/08 02:50 AM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer.
Yanksrule56 Offline

Thank you so much, this really cleared up all of my questions.

#690993 - 09/01/08 10:26 AM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer.
BeowulfX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Yanksrule56:
What is the best way to do this? I am a little bit confused on the issue. I know I have to buy a USB type B cable, but once I connect that, what do I have to do? The CD the keyboard came with doesn't contain any executable files other than an SMF converter (btw, what does this do?).

[/b]
Once you connect the USB MIDI cable (Type B):

1) Turn on the PX-320
2) Windows XP will detect the new USB device
3) Windows XP will ask for the driver
4) Let windows search for the driver (recommended)
4) Insert Casio CD (that came with the PX-320) which contains the drivers and SMF converter etc.
5) Click 'NEXT'...wait until windows find the Casio USB-MIDI driver and flashes USB MIDI device "ready to use" or "finished installation" or similar message.
6) From this point on, you can now use the PX-320 with any AUDIO-MIDI sequencer program available in the market or as a "controller" for any VSTI (i.e. Virtual instrument like software piano samples).

As for the SMF Converter...

> Casio PX-320 has a recorder function. Any music that you record using the built-in track-recorder would be in Casio proprietary format file. You can use the SMF converter to convert this "saved Casio music file" to Standard MIDI File Format O (i.e. SMF 0) which can be recognized and played through other MIDI-compatible devices (e.g: another MIDI-compatible Digital Piano or MIDI-compatible keyboard).

> Alternatively, you can also save your performance/music-playing via SD-card instead of using the internal song memory bank.
PX-5S PC361 PX-320 Graphite 49 Pianoteq 4.5-Standard+Bluethner EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Komplete Elements + other VSi TS110A KS40A DAW: AMD PhIIx4 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD 64GB+120GB-SSD Sapphire 6i6 EMU XMIDI 2x2 Sonar X3 Pearl Acoustic Drumset
Contemplating on: Yamaha MOXF6 or Roland FA-06

#690994 - 09/01/08 11:48 AM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer.
Yanksrule56 Offline

Ya the SD card works well, as I don't have a USB type B cable yet. The PX320 can save the file in MIDI form to the SD card, which I can just bring to my computer and use to transfer songs.

When I get the USB I will probably use that, but the SD card is good enough for now \:\)

#1277977 - 09/30/09 01:28 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: Yanksrule56]
killpeople Offline

i want 2 use my px320 as a midi controller on my pc.but the problem is my pc cannot detect the px320 and it cannot install the midi driver.im using windows 7 and i dont have any idea how to install the usb midi driver to my pc.i hope anyone could help me with this.....

#1278031 - 09/30/09 02:35 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: killpeople]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Killpeople,
Your PX-320 should have come with a disc that has a driver for the built in USB MIDI. All you need to do is get a USB cable and plug one end in the piano and the other to a computer USB port. The Operating System will recognize the device as unknown and prompt for the driver. Simply choose to search automatically and when it does not find it choose I will install the driver to use. Direct it to the CD drive and have it install from there. Once it does, you will be able to use whatever DAW you want to record or play back MIDI. I just got my PX-575 loaded in Windows Vista (32 bit only supported) using an updated driver from the Casio Music site (Yes, I actually got it to work in Vista without editing the registry). If you lost your disc, you can go there to get the driver. You can get there from Casio's main site by clicking the Support link and software downloads. Find Musical Instruments Link and then the driver. I'm currently trying out Sony Acid 7 as I am new to DAW, Visti's, and MIDI.

#1278674 - 10/01/09 01:15 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: galaxy4t]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Killpeople,
Was wondering if you were able to get your computer to recognize your PX-320 and install the driver. Actually as I reread your post, I did have the same issue at first. The piano was showing up as an unknown device in USB devices within device manager. There were three unknown devices showing up which I deleted. I tried unplugging and then replugging the piano and nothing would happen. The computer would not pick up the new hardware. I actually ran out of time to do any more, but a few days later, I tried again and this time when I plugged in the cable, the computer found new hardware message came up. I then directed it to install the software automatically. It never found a driver so then I was able to select I will choose the driver to install and directed it to a folder on my desktop which it loaded (looks like the same driver that worked in XP). Afterward I could see the device in device manager and was able to launch Acid 7 and use my PX 575 as a midi controller. Hope this helps.

#1278710 - 10/01/09 02:10 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: galaxy4t]
killpeople Offline

thanx galaxy4t,will try when i got home.hope this will success.

#1278736 - 10/01/09 02:51 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: killpeople]
Mike_Martin Offline

Our team in Tokyo is testing now with Windows 7. I have not tested it myself yet. If I get any additional information I will let you know.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#1278758 - 10/01/09 03:38 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: Mike_Martin]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mike,
Do you know if the USB driver on the new PX130/330 models support Windows Vista 64 bit? If so, I would expect this to work on Windows 7. It looks like the older driver on the website only supports Vista 32 bit, although I am surprised Vista would load a driver that also works on Windows 98/98SE/ME. I would have expected compatibility issues.

#1278770 - 10/01/09 04:06 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: galaxy4t]
Mike_Martin Offline

I have heard that it does work but am waiting confirmation from Tokyo regarding this.

The PX-130 and PX-330 actually do not require a driver on Windows XP - they are class compliant. Just plug it in. I expect it to be fine on Vista64 and Win7 and if I get confirmation of that I will get the websites updated.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#1281754 - 10/06/09 12:42 PM Re: Recording music from Casio PX320 to computer. [Re: Mike_Martin]
killpeople Offline

thank u all,my problem have been fixed.ive downgrade my windows 7 to windows vista.now my px320 work as a charming midi controller.thanx 4 da advice n tips.!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
Today at 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
Today at 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
Today at 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
Today at 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
Today at 10:58 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Almaviva, 36 invisible), 1855 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326096 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission