Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#691137 - 01/23/03 10:26 AM Quotes
Steve M Offline

Loc: North Hatley
OK.......shopping for a digital piano/controller, studio reference speakers, etc. Have received quote from one local dealer so far. Prices seem to be mostly in line with what you see at places like Music 123 (on the net). I'm sure I can get that a bit lower if I try. QUESTION IS........HOW MUCH? Is there a general rule?

Here's the current quote.......rd700 - $1770
SRX01/02 exp.boards - $554
KRK V6 (pair) - $854

Total.....US$3178 (OR CDN$4840)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#691138 - 01/23/03 12:04 PM Re: Quotes
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
First of all, that's a great system you've got brewing there. You'll love the concert grand expansion board, and I have a pair of KRK V8's that I absolutely love.

As for where/how to buy, I'd look for a company that has a solid reputation -- someone who will take care of you should you need it. I don't have any experience with the company you mentioned. I've had good experience with Sweetwater, but I don't think they're KRK dealers. The prices look reasonable to me -- especially the expansion board prices!

#691139 - 01/23/03 12:18 PM Re: Quotes
Steve M Offline

SteveY........thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I can even extract more info out of you. \:\)

The guy who spent a couple of hours with me yesterday seemed to say that one should not use a sub in the studio......clarity issues, etc. I've read other opinions to the contrary. I assume you have a studio of your own. Do you or would you use a sub - why/why not?

Thanks
Steve M

#691140 - 01/23/03 04:58 PM Re: Quotes
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
The guy who spent a couple of hours with me yesterday seemed to say that one should not use a sub in the studio......clarity issues, etc. I've read other opinions to the contrary. I assume you have a studio of your own. Do you or would you use a sub - why/why not?
Hi Steve -- you're asking good questions. Can I assume that you're putting together a studio? I dont know your level of experience so my apologies if my response is remedial.

The main issue in the studio is ACCURACY. Here's the problem: While the hyped bass of a subwoofer might make your mix sound great in the studio, you may find upon playing it elsewhere (car, home, etc.) that you have overcompensated and created a top-heavy mix. The opposite is true as well (if you have speakers with very little bass response). No speakers can be truly accurate so it's best to get to know where your speakers "color" the sound. A lot of great records have been mixed on KRK's so you're off to a good start. But your room will also color the sound so the speakers are not the only important link in the chain. While the equipment is indeed important in creating a good mix, your ears are the most important piece of gear you'll ever own!!!

I'm actually in a similar situation. I have a pair of KRK V8's as well as a pair of Genelec 1030's and I'd love to have a subwoofer that I can switch on and off to audition mixes. The problem is that the KRK subs (which match my speakers) cannot be switched on/off in a way that engages/defeats the crossover. Therefore you either have to use the sub all the time, or you have to send separate signals to the sub and V8's in which case the V8's will operate full-range. Neither scenario is a good one. This is the second year in a row that I've begged the KRK guys at NAMM to address this. Mackie has a subwoofer that allows the sub (and crossover) to be bypassed with a foot switch. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Mackie with my KRK's but I'd like to.

My recommendation would be to start without a sub and only add one if you really feel you need one. Or perhaps get the V8's instead of the V6's -- they'll give you more low end. Hope that helps.

#691141 - 01/23/03 07:58 PM Re: Quotes
Steve M Offline

Thanks SteveY

I am indeed a rank beginner at the home studio/composing/arranging game. I play the piano, have a Bach. in music, but when it comes to direct fields, near fields, strawberry fields, etc, my knowledge is next to zilch. What you say makes sense to me however and your recommendation to start with the V8's, I think, is a good one. My ears are far from educated when it comes to imaging, sound quality, etc, but I did prefer the V8's to the V6's (no surprise there I guess).

Talk to you later
Steve M

#691142 - 01/24/03 09:20 AM Re: Quotes
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think the V8's or V6's would be fine. If you're just getting started and buying everything from scratch, you might even consider going with the V6's, saving a few bucks, and putting the extra cash into microphones, cables, or ???

what are your goals? what format will you be recording to?

#691143 - 01/24/03 01:16 PM Re: Quotes
Steve M Offline

My goals?
One step at a time to acquire a comfort level with whatever software I select (my local store is suggesting, for starters, a novice version of Cubase - I am NOT a computer whiz.).
The music?.........it'll be what it'll be \:\) .......my primary influences are jazz and classical.........I enjoy arranging as well.

Recording format?.......CD I guess. How about you.......your recording format and your musical product?

Steve

#691144 - 01/24/03 01:34 PM Re: Quotes
Steve M Offline

SteveY........are you familiar with this fellow (Rip Rowan)? He does not seem to like V8's!!

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/28903E8954A7B37A86256AE10011E556

#691145 - 01/25/03 12:14 PM Re: Quotes
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
are you familiar with this fellow (Rip Rowan)? He does not seem to like V8's!!
First of all, pick any speaker and you can find someone who doesn't like it. The opposite is true as well -- don't buy a speaker just because someone else likes it. Use your ears, but also be willing to listen to those who have more experience than you.

I don't know who this Rip guy is, but his list is kind of a joke. Two of the speakers in his "don't go there list" are among the most popular monitors found in pro studios. At the same time, two of the speakers in his "worthy of your time" list would rarely if ever be found in a real pro situation (Behringer and Event).

If you're concerned about what the pros think about KRK, consider that Elliot Scheiner, Bob Clearmountain, Chuck Ainlay and Ed Cherney, four of the top guys in the biz all use KRK products. There are lots of other great monitors out there besides KRK, so I'm not pushing them on you. But you certainly wouldn't go wrong with them.

#691146 - 01/25/03 12:29 PM Re: Quotes
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
One step at a time to acquire a comfort level with whatever software I select (my local store is suggesting, for starters, a novice version of Cubase - I am NOT a computer whiz.).
The music?.........it'll be what it'll be .......my primary influences are jazz and classical.........I enjoy arranging as well.
Recording format?.......CD I guess.
Have you noticed that we have kind of our own private thread here? Kinda cool. But of course, others are welcome...

Are you recording acoustic instruments as well as your keyboard? That would be key in selecting the software. What platform of computer will you be using? Cubase is a good program, but there are others as well. You're smart to start out with a simple set-up. There's plenty of time to expand as you grow.

#691147 - 01/25/03 07:24 PM Re: Quotes
Steve M Offline

Re: Private thread

I agree, it's cool, but if there's anyone else out there - come on in.

No acoustic recording for now.
I've got a 2 year old 1.3 gig PC. Included in my quote is a new sound card - Musicman Audiophile - something about regular soundcards not being fast enough. I'm going to town Wednesday (Montreal) to try and make a deal for all the stuff. I spoke to the salesman this morning - he says that they have one RD700 left in stock, but "I have to be honest with you.......the box has been opened....you can (a)take it or (b)leave it and wait a couple of weeks for a fresh one." Maybe I can take it and take a further discount too.

As for software, I think I'll start with the rookies' home kit - Cubase VST. If I don't like it or need more, $100 is not a huge waste.

And yes......thanks for reminding me - I'll be brave and trust my own ears a bit more.

#691148 - 01/26/03 10:20 AM Re: Quotes
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm not familiar with the soundcard you're looking at, but that doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure it's fine. Sounds like you're off to a good start. And since you'll be working with MIDI tracks to start, you really don't need to worry too much about the accuracy of your studio monitors. Just pick something that sounds good to you. KRK's would be fine, but you could even save some money and go with something a little more modest. Cubase is a good program -- powerful, yet fairly user-friendly.

#691149 - 01/28/03 09:32 AM Re: Quotes
jazzyd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
Hey Steve(s),

I would have chimed in sooner, but I forget this board even exists!

KRK monitors often get criticism for being a bit "harsh", with implication being that they are fatiguing in long listening sessions (something monitor manufacturers are keen to avoid).

Personally, I don't subscribe to this view. I listened to several of their monitors a couple of years back and they are of excellent quality - at worst I would describe the sound as "lively". I think starting with the V8s would be a bit overkill, unless you really like them!

The budget/project/MIDI studio monitor market has steadily improved since the early '90s. Of the current crop, here are some of the ones I like and would recommend:

Mackie HR824
Mackie HR624
Tannoy Reveal Actives
HHB Circle 3 Actives
HHB Circle 5 Actives
Alesis M1 Active MKII
absolutely ANYTHING by Dynaudio, passive or active - I don't normally like passive monitors, but their designs are an exception.

They all sound different, but I wouldn't be ashamed to own any of them. As it is, because I have such a small studio, I found the HHB Circle 3 Actives to be ideal and have used them for a number of years now.

Monitor manufacturers I have no experience of (mostly because they are expensive):

Adam
Event
Genelec
Hafler
PMC
Quested

Monitor manufacturers I'm not keen on:

Behringer
Yamaha
Soundcraft/Spirit
M-Audio / Midiman
JBL
Roland

Cheers!

David

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, Abby Pianoman, ajames, *windowlicker*, 49 invisible), 1399 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157093 Topics
2307031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
9 minutes 17 seconds ago
Chopin's Technician
by laguna_greg
Today at 02:03 PM
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
Today at 12:47 PM
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
Today at 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission