Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#692291 - 10/08/02 06:54 AM how many pedals?
nunu Offline

How many pedals are necessary when I buy digital piano? I am about to buy Kawai L1. Please, could anybody answer?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#692292 - 10/08/02 11:32 AM Re: how many pedals?
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
nunu , unless they have some EXTRA pedals used as spin wheels, I would hold out for 3, Soft Sustain, and Sostonuto (Left Right Middle). In digital, these aren't a major technological challenge and shouldn't run the price up much in theory.
my 2 cents
Bob

#692293 - 10/08/02 06:39 PM Re: how many pedals?
William88 Offline

Loc: MidAtlantic
Nunu, you'll find that the soft pedal (left) you will get use out of. However I have only used the sostenuto pedal (middle) a handful of times in my life. In fact, most vertical pianos don't have a sostenuto. They either have a "practice pedal" or a bass sustain. I wouldn't sweat over not having the middle pedal on my digital.

I do suggest however that you look at some other digitals with at least two pedals. Most of the time, digitals with one pedal don't have a true pedal. They have an on/off switch. When you press the sustain pedal, you are turning the sustain on. On a true pedal however, there should be varying degrees of sustain available depending on how far you pressed the pedal. This will become important in the future.

#692294 - 10/08/02 08:32 PM Re: how many pedals?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I don't know of any digitals that have the ability to sustain in increments. As far as I'm aware they're all on/off switches.

#692295 - 10/09/02 07:53 AM Re: how many pedals?
nunu Offline

Thank you all for your soon replies! \:o )

Finally, I have decided to buy the Kawai L1. I am not an expert but, in comparison with others like casio or yamaha, I preferred its sound. Another aspect was its portability because I will move home (Slovakia) next year. Now I am in Germany.

My age is 27 and tomorrow I will take my first piano lesson. I really look forward to it.

#692296 - 10/09/02 07:55 AM Re: how many pedals?
nunu Offline

Sorry, I wanted to use this one \:\) \:\) \:\)

#692297 - 10/14/02 08:09 PM Re: how many pedals?
kdurling Offline

Loc: Berkeley, California
Hi all -

I'm new here, so please forgive my pertinaciousness! But it seems there's some confusion about the naming/function of the pedals. The right pedal is usually called the "damper" pedal, and literally raises the dampers on all strings, permitting them to ring. This is the pedal that would most often be found on a DP or EP.

The left pedal is usually called the "soft" pedal, or the "una corda" pedal, as on a grand it physically shifts the entire action sideways so that the hammers don't strike all three strings, but theoretically just one. The result is not only a softer sound, but a big difference in tone color - something to keep in mind when you see the indication "una corda." (rare) Uprights don't have true "una corda" pedals, rather this pedal brings the hammers closer to the strings, in theory not allowing it to develop as much momentum.

The middle pedal, properly called the "sostenuto" pedal, on a grand piano will keep the dampers raised on whatever notes are being played at the time it is depressed. You can then go ahead and play the following passage without sustain, while those held by the pedal continue to ring - often reinforced by the succeeding notes in the work of a composer who knows what he's doing. Debussy springs to mind. Much of his music is unperformable without a sostenuto, but he never notates it. I don't recall seeing it called out by a composer until the 20th Century, but I could be wrong. As William88 pointed out, uprights again don't have a true sostenuto pedal.

#692298 - 11/04/02 11:46 PM Re: how many pedals?
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
>>I don't know of any digitals that have the >>ability to sustain in increments. As far as I'm >>aware they're all on/off switches.

My Roland KR1077 has a variable sustain pedal - it can be set to on/off, 8 levels or continuously variable (which is where I keep it set.) I've seen the feature on others as well, including General Music keyboards. Not sure about Yamaha.
jim

#692299 - 11/05/02 11:33 AM Re: how many pedals?
William88 Offline

Loc: MidAtlantic
Jim, congratulations on the 1077! I only have the KR577 myself. Did you get the 1077M? The M means that it has a player mechanism built into the keyboard.

#692300 - 11/05/02 12:36 PM Re: how many pedals?
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
>>Jim, congratulations on the 1077! I only have >>the KR577 myself. Did you get the 1077M? The M >>means that it has a player mechanism built into >>the keyboard.

Bill, I have the standard model, not the M. I bought it used (in like-new shape other than needing a firmware update, which I did myself). I would not have wanted the M even if it had been available - more moving parts to break. I don't understand the concept of a player piano mechanism with a midi instrument anyway - it sounds the same whether they keys are moving or not (unlike the Disklavier where there's an acoustic piano under the cover.) Probably it's mostly for entertainment value in hotel lounges.

What I really like about the 1077 is its sound system - 240 watts and 12 speakers. When I close my eyes I can easily fool myself into thinking I'm playing an acoustic grand, particularly when I've got one of the Gigastudio grands loaded.

I've hardly used any of the built-in features of the piano - just trying to get some technique back after 50 years of absence!
jim

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (ando, AndresD, ajames, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1552 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318827 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission