Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#692747 - 10/12/04 02:06 PM Small question
HeiligenstadtTestament Offline

I do notice that casio digital pianos aren't much talked about.I own a Casio keyboard that I bought a little while ago.After trying out the yamaha keyboards all the way up to their most expensive "hobby" keyboards at the Sam Ash around here I was quite dissatisfied with the sound of the keyboards.

I tried a casio keyboard that was originally 179 list and was on sale for 99 and I thought it sounded wonderful and was within my limited budget.I'm just starting to take piano lessons in about a few days and I've tried the clavinovas and while loaded with features the sound seems flat but sort of nice and responsive on the Grand piano setting.I haven't gone and seen a casio keyboard but the sound of the Grand sound on a Casio PS-20 I think; is rather quite nice.It it just because of my own ignorance that I prefer the 699 ps-20's sound over the yamaha's sound of the YDP223.

The patches are just so different anyone's opinion or willingness to erase my possible ignorance would be appreciated.I'm really wanting to buy the PS-20 and I've only heard samples of it on the web. I'm thinking that maybe the sound samples are high memory but the sound doesn't change with playing nuances and is possibly unresponsive( though I highly doubt that as I don't have that same problem up to a point on my Casio keyboard).
I'm looking for something that is within my student part-time budget and that I can progress on truly in my lessons. I want to play classical piano and want to use this until I can afford a grand or something close to that in time. Any knowledge or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#692748 - 10/12/04 04:25 PM Re: Small question
Lightnin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by HeiligenstadtTestament:
I'm really wanting to buy the PS-20 and I've only heard samples of it on the web. [/b]
I have no comment on the PS-20, I have never seen one, so I know nothing. Viewing its user manual, it appears to me to try to compete with the Yamaha P60 (low end of the better models), in features, price, polyphony, use of a control button enabling the regular keys to act as the function controls (instead of having conventional switch controls like others). For example, it says 64 polyphony, but the manual says only 32 on 5 of the 8 voices, including 3 of 4 piano voices.

FYI, you can download the user manuals for Casio or Yamaha at their web sites (Service menu) to allow you to fully understand how things work before you buy.

Normally the important issue for selecting a keyboard to learn to play classical music would be good quality weighted keys, as much like the feel of a real acoustic piano as possible. It says it has this, and probably it does... This is an expensive feature, and $300 keyboards are not likely to have this.

I was a rank beginner, didnt know what Middle C was at first, and after only three months, an inexpensive keyboard simply became unacceptable due to not having good weighted keys. I had to replace it for that reason. Its been a year now, and I'm doing fine, but am still not really to the point where the sound matters so much to me yet. I'm still concerned with just trying to get the keys played.

You are stressing quality of sound, and that's great, but sound quality comes from two issues, one the basic quality built into it, and also the amplifiers/speakers you use to listen to it.

All of these keyboards provide small internal speakers, typically little 4 or 6 inch speakers, comparing more to a larger table radio than to a stereo system.

It is easy to do better, sound-wise, and any portable keyboard can be much improved by using larger better external speakers, (which can in some cases cost as much or more than the keyboard). If sound is really important, this sounds like a necessary step. I'm using a Yamaha P90 with external speakers (mine are only in the $100 class), and I'm getting by just fine that way.

The only reason I bring this up is that it sounds as if you may be judging sound samples "on the web" you said. This then would imply that you may be using your computer sound board and speakers to listen, and it seems a real good bet that our computer speakers are probably not as good as even the little internal speakers in the keyboards. If this is the case, anything you listen to can only sound as good as your computer speakers, and so this may not be a meaningful listening test.

I do think you will want to judge the real keyboard (any brand) in a store. For better keyboards, the store likely will have the sound piped to larger external speakers there, so be aware of the situation. Downloading the manual first helps to know how to operate it there too.

There are some user comments of various keyboards at http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/#man

The PS-20 is not there, but other Casio like the current PX models are there, and most brands are there. Hope this helps.

#692749 - 10/12/04 05:16 PM Re: Small question
HeiligenstadtTestament Offline

Thanks, you said some things I was not thinking about.Your help is appreciated.Sorry if my post was too naive but even so you were very
helpful.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Black Widow" - Iggy Azalea
by Zach Evans
09/16/14 02:13 PM
Advice Digital Piano < 800 GPB
by Altair
09/16/14 02:09 PM
MIDI to USB adapters?
by Mark NM
09/16/14 12:32 PM
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
09/16/14 11:42 AM
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
09/16/14 11:15 AM
Who's Online
152 registered (AEMontoya, Altair, 3mb3r4, accordeur, 255, 43 invisible), 1464 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76221 Members
42 Forums
157563 Topics
2314348 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission