2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#693174 01/04/09 10:00 AM
OP Offline
Just wondering what is the touch like on a Casio Privia PX-120.
Im a Begginer at piano and im only 15 so i dont really need a Grand piano and also ive been looking at Yamaha CLP 340 but its too expensive atm but anyway is the touch on the px120 any good?

Thanks in advance - Sander Rosøy thumb

(edit) and yeah is it comparable to the touch of the CLP 340 ?

#693175 01/04/09 12:31 PM
V
V
The following is IN MY HUMBLE OPINION (aka IMHO).

The touch of the later Casios is on the heavy side, which I like. I am very satisfied with my PX-320 so far.
I consider the PX-120 and PX-320 to deliver a lot of piano for the money. You can find better ... for much more money.
The Casio PX-(120|320) internal speakers are not good enough and I use mine with a decent pair of headphones most of the time.
The DPs in that price level are coming with a simple plastic switch pedal. It needs to be replaced or you can purchase the 3 pedal sets that does a much better job.

And IMHO again, digital pianos are fine to practice as long as you have access to a decent acoustic on a regular basis.

#693176 01/04/09 01:48 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
its action is pretty decent, and i like it a little better than Yamaha GHS action as on P85 or DGX630. it's a good entry level DP to buy, if you cannot spend too much money.

#693177 01/04/09 11:34 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
...And even the Casio PX-200 which I own. Compared to the PX-120, it offers a few more bells and whistles but is a step below the PX-320 and above...

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
#693178 01/05/09 01:32 AM
D
D
Anyone notice any unexpected behavior with the graded hammer weighting when the volume is altered below half way or notice grading effect disappear when headphones are plugged in thus bypassing the internal speakers?

here is a snippet of an issue someone posted at another forum. There was no reply so the question still remains:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got this thing home and the hammer-weighting only kicks in as you turn the volume knob up to about half way. If you plug something into the headphone jack to bypass the speakers, the weighting goes away altogether, as if the volume knob were at Min.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#693179 01/05/09 07:49 AM
I think it's enough for practicing, but not for great pleasure with quality. I don't like action of the keyboard. You can buy it - maybe it's completely enough for you in this moment; you can buy something better in the future, if you'll need it.

Roland FP-4
#693180 01/05/09 11:01 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by detroit:
Anyone notice any unexpected behavior with the graded hammer weighting when the volume is altered below half way or notice grading effect disappear when headphones are plugged in thus bypassing the internal speakers?

here is a snippet of an issue someone posted at another forum. There was no reply so the question still remains:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got this thing home and the hammer-weighting only kicks in as you turn the volume knob up to about half way. If you plug something into the headphone jack to bypass the speakers, the weighting goes away altogether, as if the volume knob were at Min.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That makes no sense. Graded hammer action is how the keys are weighted. It's physical. It's not something electronic that gets turned on or off. That's like asking whether your computer gets heavier when you turn it on.

#693181 01/12/09 07:48 AM
D
D
jscomposer-> thanks. To me this was rather strange so I decided to post here for another view. Anywayz, the guy finally replied

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I determined that the problem was partly psychosomatic, partly by design.

The action on the keys is the same no matter where the volume is, so it was largely in my head.

It seems to be slightly affected when the on-board speakers are roaring, making the whole board seem more lively and easier to play. When the speakers are muted the action is the same, but it feels slightly tighter, because there is no vibration running through the board. After a week I was used to it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't wait for the guy to reply. I couldn't reproduce the complication on the PX-320 I previewed in the store so I bought a new PX-320 on the spot. It is perfectly suitable for my beginner level, Im glad I decided on a graded hammer action. There are 3 levels of touch response which I am finding extremely useful for training the ring and pinky fingers strength. I really don't think there is anything else on the market that can match the PX-320 on a feature set for this price and up to $1500.

#693182 01/12/09 08:52 PM
"I determined that the problem was partly psychosomatic, partly by design.

The action on the keys is the same no matter where the volume is, so it was largely in my head.

The effect can be pretty amazing. I started learning on a semi-weighted midi controller driving GarageBand. With headphones on I could almost convince myself it felt a bit like a piano. Take away the sound and it instantly reverted to springy plastic.

The same is true to a lesser extent with my Casio PX310. Without the sound the somewhat loose keys which bounce and rattle when released sound and feel a bit cheap. When I put the headphones on or turn up the studio monitors and concentrate on playing something, it's fine.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission