Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#693214 - 07/28/03 04:27 PM $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
JoeKamel Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
A repost from http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004513

Hi all, discovered this forum...

I'm about to buy a digital piano. I live in upper floor apartment, and low budget (less than $1000), so I guess this is the way to go.

I need 88 keys, and weighted keys. A little background, I played about 10 years in my youth on a Yamaha upright. Stopped playing for about 7 years, and just recently began playing again. What can I say, turns out I really do love piano, thanks mom for forcing to practice all those years \:D . Now working on Chopin Nocturnes, they're just so damn beautiful.

After doing some research, the Yamaha P60 looks pretty good at $750.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/yamaha_p60_digital_piano.htm

Anyone had experience with this? I was also looking at Casio PS20 which is about $50 less.

I first looked at the Yamaha DXG500 which is about $600, but the keys didn't feel right. So I'm willing to pay a little more for a better feel and sound. I don't have an oportunity to try out P60 or PS20, so I'm asking here.

Opinions appreciated, much thanks.

Also, how much better are $1500 digital pianos than these?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#693215 - 07/28/03 04:37 PM Re: $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
Joe, IMHO you can get a nice digital piano for $1500 maybe, less. I would suggest looking for hammer weighted actions and progressively weighted keys. This is if you want a substitute for an actual piano and are going to play a majority of piano music on it. As I said, you can find a nice one and they are actually nicer than a $3000 new acoustic piano.
checkout:

www.rolandus.com

Go under products and to pianos. The HP series represent home pianos.
Good luck,

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#693216 - 07/28/03 08:24 PM Re: $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
jkeene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Florida
Joe,

There's a definite improvement in the sound as you move up past the $1500 mark. The Yamaha P-250 is what I went with, both my wife (a flute player) and myself could hear the difference immediately versus a P-80.

However, you'll want to try them out in person. I spent a good bit of time trying the sound and action on most of the instruments in that range and found what I liked best. Others like a Kawai, or a Roland, or a Korg. To me the feel of the action on those was just a bit squishy compared to the Yamaha, although the sound on the Roland was quite good.

One thing you'll want to save some budget for is extra speakers. A small home stereo with a pair of clear speakers improves the sound immensely. Doesn't have to have power, just clarity and some more square inches moving the air.

Jeff

#693217 - 07/28/03 08:56 PM Re: $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
subarus Offline

Hi..

P60 is a nice , 88 weighted keys piano BUT the keys are plastics and has only 32 polyphony. You will have problem playing big chord pieces with multi bars pedaling. Try your chopin on it and you will see what I mean. With a good headphone you will heard notes being drop off as the equipment reaches its max polyphony.

Casio PS20 is nice too, but like the P60 has only 32 polyphony. Unlike the P60, the keys are weighted equally. The P60 is heavier on the lower registers just like the grand piano.

As you already noticed, Yamaha DGX500 is NOT weighted keys piano despite what the brochure says. I have written to Yamaha expressing my complain about the corporation attempting to deceive uninform buyers. DGX500 is a crime !

Kawai ES1 is a weighted 88 keys piano and looks very slim. The sound, like any Kawai piano, is much fuller.. depending on your preference ofcoz. But problem with ES1 is its only 32 polyphony.

I notice that some professional musicians dont mind 32 polyphony if they are using it for Jazz, pop or rock music.. but it wont do for an informed/advanced classical pianist.

Stage piano often used on stage for rock,jazz,pop performances are (and you may add as you wish): Korg SP500, Kawai MP9000, ES1,ESX, Roland RD500,FP1, Yamaha P80. I think due to the homely appearance of P120, I dont see alot of it on stage.

Yamaha P80 is very popular among gigging pianist. Its light, has fully weighted keys. It doesnt have onboard speakers like the ps20,p60,es1. You need a good pair of headphone to appreciate it, otherwise you will have to plug it into your hifi system. I believe its discontinued and replaced by the P90.

Yamaha P120 has better sample size (thus better sound) than the P80 but comes with onboard speakers. Its slightly heavier than the P80 by about 4lbs.

The Yamaha P200 and P250 are higher class stage digital piano which I think is out of your price range. I think P250 has 128 polyphony. I personally wouldnt spend more than US$2000 on anything electronics no matter how good it is... unless I am Billy Joel or Elton John ofcoz.

Ofcos there are digital stage piano such as Roland FP1, Kawai MP9000, Fatar, Korg and Alesis which I am not familiar with..

Try the P120, see if you can get a bargain price to suit your budget, otherwise try P90 if it suit you. You need to try experiment and understand the limitation of the 32 polyphony machines and to avoid those if it bothers you. They are ideal for children or beginners for the first 5 years of lessons, especially the P60/ES1/PS20. Save up a few hundred bucks to get a proffesional class machines, and with the piano training under your belt.. you wont regret it. A pro class machines, depending on who you ask, in my opinion as a classical pianist are those that has multi velocity samples, keyoff samples, simulated sympathetic resonance, simulated half pedaling, 64 polyphony or better and ofcoz weighted 88 keys. If budget is still an issue for you, I think the only choice you have is the Yamaha P80 which in my opinion is suitable for a decade trained genuine classical pianist, like yourself.

Personally, I have a Yamaha P120 . Although the touch is very close to an acoustic piano, but I had problems adapting to it initially. I later discovered that if I set it to appropriate loudness and never touch the settings ever again, I can get used to it. I have come to the conclusion that a pianist can get used to the touch and sound of ANY professional class digital piano IF the volume and settings of the equipment does not change all the time. Needless to say you need a good headphone and pedal. Needless to say also, nothing is like the real acoustic piano.. which I have grown to appriciate more because of the luxury I have to extend practice time on the digital.

And tell everybody DGX500 is a crime which unfortunately is selling like hotcakes because of the price and features. It has lots of other voices and features. Its not a keyboard and not a piano.. Young children are better off with professional spring loaded keyboard such as the PSR 3000 than the DGX. The problem I have with DGX is that its marketed as a piano but it actually isnt. The keys are shaped like piano keys unlike the synthesizers keys, its intentionally designed to deceive.

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeKamel:
A repost from http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004513

I'm about to buy a digital piano. I live in upper floor apartment, and low budget (less than $1000), so I guess this is the way to go.

I need 88 keys, and weighted keys. A little background, I played about 10 years in my youth on a Yamaha upright. Stopped playing for about 7 years, and just recently began playing again. What can I say, turns out I really do love piano, thanks mom for forcing to practice all those years \:D . Now working on Chopin Nocturnes, they're just so damn beautiful.

After doing some research, the Yamaha P60 looks pretty good at $750.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/yamaha_p60_digital_piano.htm

Anyone had experience with this? I was also looking at Casio PS20 which is about $50 less.

I first looked at the Yamaha DXG500 which is about $600, but the keys didn't feel right. So I'm willing to pay a little more for a better feel and sound. I don't have an oportunity to try out P60 or PS20, so I'm asking here.

Opinions appreciated, much thanks.

Also, how much better are $1500 digital pianos than these? [/b]

#693218 - 07/29/03 12:36 AM Re: $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
JDWooWoo Offline

Loc: cyberspace
I agree, the main problem with the P60 is the limited polyphony. I thought the touch was ok.

Subarus, you're right on about the DGX500. I actually had one for a short time, and had to trade it in because the touch was useless. However, there is one way I could see it as useful: if you've just wrecked your wrists playing 16 hours straight on an acoustic, and you just have to play, the feather-light touch of the DGX might come in handy. But save yourself $300+ and get the DGX202 instead, and be free of those weird piano-shaped keys.

#693219 - 07/30/03 03:42 PM Re: $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
JoeKamel Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Thanks everyone for very informed replies. Especially subarus.

I decided to go with the P60, mainly for the price. And because I'll likely move into a house in 4-6 months, and getting back the Yamaha upright then. So this is good enough to tide me over until then.

Greatly appreciated.

#693220 - 07/30/03 04:33 PM Re: $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
justme Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Englewood, FL
 Quote:

I decided to go with the P60, mainly for the price. And because I'll likely move into a house in 4-6 months, and getting back the Yamaha upright then. So this is good enough to tide me over until then.

Greatly appreciated. [/b]
JoeKamel,
Enjoy!!!

http://toosad4words.blogspot.com/

#693221 - 07/30/03 07:03 PM Re: $700-800 budget: Yamaha P60
subarus Offline

Enjoy yourself.. and I am sure you will find good use for the P60 even after you are reunited with your upright.

Quote:

Greatly appreciated. [/b]

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question for the moderator...
by Emmery
09/30/14 05:57 PM
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, A Guy, 41 invisible), 1668 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157895 Topics
2318916 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission