Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
119 registered (Anita Potter, Auver, accordeur, Anne'sson, A Guy, ando, 39 invisible), 1682 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#693489 - 10/30/06 11:52 AM Digital piano upgrade
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
While I'm living in rented accommodation, I'm looking to get a new digital piano to replace my Yamaha DGX-500 keyboard.

In the store I played on the Yamaha YDP131 and CLP220, before the sales person recommended I give the Roland HP101 a try. I tried it and liked it, it felt lighter and not quite as deep as the Yamaha and had a much stronger bass. I decided on this one, then upgraded to the HP102, and now I've told them to hold my order until I can go back in to the store and try the comparable CLP230, 240 and 270.

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with these pianos? I've been playing for three years so I'm not looking for an entry level piano, but I don't have ridiculous amounts of money to spend either!

Cheers.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#693490 - 10/30/06 01:17 PM Re: Digital piano upgrade
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
depending on how much you can spend, if you like Yamaha models better, then get the best one you can afford, such as CLP270 or at least a CLP240.

#693491 - 10/30/06 08:04 PM Re: Digital piano upgrade
Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
Hi, I am a lot newer than you, but did lots of research and bought the Roland HP 102e. Well it was an early Christmas present from hubby. I tried out quite a few in a lower price bracket and was not satisfied with them.
My Roland is now in my living room, looking splendid and sounding gorgeous. I am happy with my choice and find that the digitals are so individual to us all. So, go with the one you like, it will be right for you at this time. Whatever you choose, play, and enjoy it and all will go well for you. Shey
Adult returner

#693492 - 11/06/06 12:13 PM Re: Digital piano upgrade
Ozor Mox Offline

Well in the end I went for the Yamaha CLP240. After I tried my acoustic piano and went back for a second time, I realised that although I did like the Roland, the action was just too light and I felt it might damage my touch somewhat on my acoustic, and the acoustic that I'd eventually like to own when I have a house! The Yamaha, on my second take, felt like a more realistic touch in comparison to my real piano. But as you said Shey, these two pianos are very different and it's almost entirely down to individual preference. By your recommendation Signa, I went for the CLP240, despite more than doubling my initial expectation for how much I'd be spending on a new digital! The CLP270 was just too much, but I'm very happy with my purchase and can't wait for it to arrive!

Thanks for your responses as well.

#693493 - 11/06/06 04:43 PM Re: Digital piano upgrade
Ozor Mox Offline

Would anybody on these forums be able to do me a quick favour?

I'd like to know how easy it will be to get my CLP240 into my house when it arrives, could someone with a CLP240 (or model the same size) please measure its length and depth in inches? I'd be most grateful!

#693494 - 11/06/06 04:59 PM Re: Digital piano upgrade
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
congratulations on your purchase! i wonder if the piano will be arriving in box? but in any case, assembling it wouldn't be that difficult. a digital piano, any type, wouldn't be more wider in length or depth than an acoustic upright piano, which should give you a rough idea.

#693495 - 11/07/06 08:20 AM Re: Digital piano upgrade
Ozor Mox Offline

Thanks. I did consider whether it would be coming in a box. I didn't think the CLP models in that design could be disassembled in any way, I thought they were one big solid unit, but I could be wrong.

If it comes in a box assembled, then it will definitely have to come out of its box to get in the room I'm putting it in. I measured the corridor at a measley 25 inches at its narrowest point, and the CLP240 appears to be 20 and a half inches deep.

Hope it fits, I'll have to wait and see.

#693496 - 11/07/06 01:51 PM Re: Digital piano upgrade
DanXZ Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, UK
Hi Ozor, it does indeed come in a box (unless your dealer is going to build it for you befroe delivery). Just measured the box from mine as I've still got in the hallway:

147cm(58") x 57cm(22.5") x 65cm (25.5")

Should just squeeze through your hallway if you turn it the right way.

Alternatively you could open the box and carry the pieces in seperately. That's what I had to do as I live on the third floor (stairs only) and even with a friend the box was too heavy to carry up in one.

Don't throw the box out straight away if you do this though - the assemble instructions are actually printed on the top of the box itself.

You will at need someone to help you build it as lining the keyboard up to fix on the cabinet is a bit tight and clumsy for one to handle, being long and heavy. You will very likely damadge the finish if you try it alone despite the cardboard edge protectors they provide you with.

Otherwise it's a pretty simple job, just the shape and weight make that one part a bit awkward.

I'm sure you'll be as happy with it as I am with mine. What colour did you get? Mines mahogany and looks great in my living room.

#693497 - 11/08/06 05:45 AM Re: Digital piano upgrade
Ozor Mox Offline

DanXZ,

Thank you so much for that information! Now I know that it should just about fit in its box, but if it doesn't, then there's always the option of taking it out. I didn't realise it could be assembled or disassembled in anyway, I thought it came as a solid unit.

I will also make sure I have plenty of people on hand to help me with it! Once I get it in to my room, I'll then have the problem of finding somewhere to put it as I don't have the largest bedroom ever. Still, I'll probably just toss out something I don't really need like the bed \:D

I got it in dark rosewood finish as I love the dark wood colour and it makes it look just like my acoustic piano back home. Mahogany was a close second though, the one in the store that I was playing on was mahogany and looked great too. It's a wonderful looking piano, I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA95 - Any Firmware Updates
by McBuster
11/23/14 10:45 AM
Mozart sonata k.333, Mark C?
by Pover
11/23/14 09:54 AM
100 years old and music keeps her active
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:45 AM
At 100 years old, she says music keeps her well
by Rich Galassini
11/23/14 07:36 AM
Chopin waltz in E minor (Op. Posth.) or Op.70/1
by Works1
11/23/14 06:22 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159289 Topics
2339908 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission