2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
ErinLA Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I trained to be a concert pianist for 11 years, long story short---decided I wanted to take a different path. Lived at college without a piano, (4 years of basically no practicing!)and am now living in an apartment. I miss it terribly, and can't wait to buy a digital, and get back into playing.
My main concern is having a realistic touch---I've lost a lot of strength and eveness in my fingers, and want something that will execerise my fingers again. Second is sound quality, of course.
A salesman is trying to get me to purchase the Technic SX PX 663 for $2,000.00. He claims that it was originally $3,000.00 (and it's such a great deal), but I can't seem to find any pricing to compare it to on the internet. It seemed to have much better sound than the Yamaha's and other brands they had there.
Would anyone recommend this model?? Also, is $2,000.00 a good price for a discontinued item? I would GREATLY appreciate any advice.....Thank you so much!! :-)

Erin
F
F
I think technics the company is discontinued, not just the model you mentioned. I'm not sure if anyone is still providing warranty service on them, but I think this matter has been discussed in other threads in this forum.

If you are not interested in haggling over price, take a look at the pianos at a general music store like guitar center. Everything has a price tag with an already discounted price, and you can compare prices with other stores and online at places like musci123.com, musiciansbuy.com, etc...

It's tough to tell if you are getting a good price from a piano store. The price depends on how many they have, what the salesman's mood is, if he thinks you are a sucker, etc... I once had a piano salesman try to sell me a digital for $1900 (probably the list price when he bought it) when it was selling for $800 as a closeout at a place like guitar center.

The Yamaha p120, p250, pf500, and ydp223 are in your price range and are all pretty good to excellent.

Roland makes the f-50, f-100, mp60, fp2, fp5, and possibly other, which I don't know much about except that they compete with some of the Yamaha models listed above.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You don't need to spend $2000 to get a digital keyboard with great grand piano sound and feel. Look into the P-series of Yamaha keyboards. I have a P120 and am pretty happy with it. It lists for $1200 but I got it for $1000. It's a "stage" keyboard, so you also have to buy a stand and 1 additional pedal (it comes with one, but you'll want a soft pedal as well) and headphones (the built-in speakers are worthless).

Yamaha, Roland, and Korg all make good keyboards for around this price, each somewhat different from the other. Just make sure the keyboards you're looking at have "grand piano voices," listen to them with headphones, and try out a few at a local dealer.

For a little more you can get what is essentially the same keyboards mounted in piano-like stands with benches.

Shop around. Especially if you're in LA (from your name I take it you are), there are lots of guitar/keyboard shops. Get familiar with everything that is available, and don't be stong-armed by a salesman!

August Förster 215
E
ErinLA Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you for the advice :-) I was also told that the Technic models are designed to sound and feel like Steinway, whereas Yamaha digitals obviously model Yamaha. The Technic really did have a better sound to me though.
Have either of you noticed a "looping sound" when sustaining keys? I read that if you hold a key down on a Yamaha, instead of the sound gradually fading away (as it would on an actual piano), it "loops" the sound every 8 seconds so you can actually hear it repeating if you listen closely...True?? And AaronSF---I like your name!

Erin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Right back at you!

I haven't noticed any looping...it sounds like pretty natural decay to me, but then I rarely hold a note for more than 8 seconds. I'll have to give it a try and see if I notice anything.

If the Technics sounds and feels better to you, then you just have to weigh that against the cost. I haven't tried the Technics keyboards so am not qualified to comment on them.

August Förster 215
K
K
Only Technic brand is discontinued. Panasonic Brand(another brand of Matsuhita Electric Co.) is still going strong and all warranties are covered by Panasonic. In fact, Technics and Panasonics are the same stuff with different names. Made by the same factory and production lines.

G
G
I was looking at Technics and Rolands at a store recently expecting to get a Technics before they were gone. I liked the keyboard action on both, but to my surprise I really liked the Roland sound over the Technics. Traditionally, I have always liked the Technics sound better having previously owned one of their original digital pianos.

At the store, they said the Technics pianos would be supported for at least 7 years by Panasonic.

I haven't tried a Yamaha in a while, but from what I have read here, the keys sound like they are too firm. It strikes me unlikely that Yamaha can effectively reproduce authentic key feel using springs. I know Roland, Technics and Kawai all use mechanical weighted systems like real pianos do. Rolands progressive hammer-action with escapement is very nice (escapement is only on the more expensive pianos).

George
E
ErinLA Offline OP
OP Offline
E
George, did you find a particular Roland model that you are interested in? The Rolands I looked at were in the rental section--looked they like had taken a beating! I e-mailed Panasonic and they sent me a listing of dealers in LA that still have Technics left, so I'm going to research pricing, and check out the new Rolands and Yamaha's in the next week or so.
Also, I'm new to PW, and I guess it's considered poor etiquette not to introduce oneself when first joining. Sorry! Soooo....I'm Erin, 23 yrs. old, graduated with a B.F.A. in Theatre/Dance--emphasis: Acting for the Camera. Originally had full Piano performance scholarship, chose Theatre/Dance, and will now be paying it off for the next 10 years! Interesting decision in hindsight.....Have missed piano terribly, decided to pursue music(vocal and piano)/dance. Very excited to find this board, and get back into what I love!
So that's that, and thank you for the advice :-)

Erin
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Kenpcola,
Are you saying that Panasonic is continuing to develop and produce new product under the Panasonic name? I was under the impression that Panasonic was getting out of the instrument business...

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
E
ErinLA Offline OP
OP Offline
E
That's what I was told as well---that Panasonic is an electronics company, and decided it didn't make sense for them to continue making musical instruments. However, I e-mailed a dealer in NY re: Technics, and he told me that "most likely another company will purchase the Technics name". Which means Technics may continue to be available??

Erin
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
My understanding is that Technics is dead. Kenpcola's post is the first I've heard about Panasonic continuing to manufacture products. Of course it's possible that Ken was just pointing out that Panasonic and Technics were the same company (which it is), and that Pansonic will continue to honor warranties (which I'm sure they will). Personally, I've never considered Technics to be much of a leader in the industry. I think there are better options in companies like Roland, Korg & Yamaha.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission