Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
144 registered (Alexander Borro, ajames, ando, ABC Vermonter, anamnesis, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1706 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#693923 - 12/21/04 06:12 PM need help with sound module
kyle Offline

Loc: durham,maine
i recently bought a yamaha mu15. I own a kawai es-1. The mu-15 doesnot have a 1/4 out, just a 1/8 out, so its hard ot connect. I was wondering if i connect both midi into the sound module and then midi backout into my keyboard, if it will transfer as sound into the piano. I cannot get it to play back into the piano with sound form the module. anyhelp would be appreciated.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#693924 - 12/21/04 06:39 PM Re: need help with sound module
Bronzee Offline

Loc: BH. MI
Let me know how the patches sound once u get things connected properly. I would subject to follow the instructions on your yam mul5 and see what your instruction book says for connecting the sound module up.. You may have to visit a music store and get an adapter that will fit at the end of your your l/8 out. I don't know how many connections are on the sound module..if its two and two for the kawai es1..i would subject a twin midi connector with an orange{out} and gray{in} ending to fit into the 2 midi holes and the 2 midi holes for the piano would be the opposite colors...if you want stero adapters{l/8} make sure u get the kind for stero or mono if u want. Also if u just have the l/8 only i got monsters cables into the back of my modules and i got a male adapter to conbine the 2 females as one when they conect into my amp..or keyboard and u may not get an left right sound if u don't have a left and right sound. On the end of the monster cables they have 2 colors red and blue, red goes on the left side and blues goes to right. Then again i don't kow how your mu15 is set up in the back or the your kawai piano. Good luck. I hope this helps. Then experiment do whatever it takes to get the proper sound.

#693925 - 12/21/04 07:29 PM Re: need help with sound module
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Hiya Kyle!
OK. The easiest way to access the sounds from your MU-15 Module is to...
Connect the MIDI Out from your Piano to the MIDI in on your MU-15.
Now the piano is acting as a controller for the MU-15.
BUT we still need to get the actual audio back into the piano. SO....
The cable that you need is a 1/8" stereo plug into a 1/4" Stereo plug.

(I checked the Kawai website just to confirm that the ES-1 DOES indeed have a Stereo Line in.)

I am assuming it is 1/4" but can't confirm as I dont own one. Make sure of this before you go to buy the cable as two trips should be unneccessary.

This will take the sound output of the MU-15 and put it back through your ES-1!

I hope this is a bit of a clearer explanation than the one listed above. (No offense Bronzee).

Come back and post again to let us know how it worked out for you and enjoy the new sounds!

ProPiano:)

#693926 - 12/21/04 08:51 PM Re: need help with sound module
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
I was wondering if i connect both midi into the sound module and then midi backout into my keyboard, if it will transfer as sound into the piano.
MIDI is NOT the same as sound or audio. MIDI is just a language that passes along information from one device to another. Your keyboard can pass along instructions to your sound module via MIDI. But it cannot pass "sound" through a MIDI cable. You'll need to listen to your sound module through external speakers or headphones. Adapters for 1/8" output are easy to come by at Guitar Center, Radio Shack, etc.

#693927 - 12/22/04 02:09 PM Re: need help with sound module
kyle Offline

Loc: durham,maine
thank you all. i think im gonna get a 1/8 male to 2 1/4 male cable (preferably monster.) The line in on the es1 is 1/8, but i dont know if i will bother with that, and instead just direct connect to an amp ( I have a behringer kx1200 ) the patches are very nice, i was hoping for something a little better, but over all it is a nice little piece or equipment. The stringed instruments dont sound to great, but i do like the sound effects, synth pads, and the drum kits are decent. I need to tweak a little more and get a better reverb, but that appears to be very easy to do. the organ patches dont sound the best, but there ok, i think if i get a midi controller with a modulation wheel ill have a little wider tweaking ability. By the way i like my behringer kx1200, but right now i sent it back under warant to be fixed, because i think i blew the tweater.(that would be my fault , it was caused by feedback.) so just caution if you get one for reason of not so great speaker quality. Im eager to try out my new b-1 mic through it. so all in all the yamaha mu15 is nice, for $250 i dont think you could get better, just it lacks in outputs.

#693928 - 12/23/04 11:43 AM Re: need help with sound module
Bronzee Offline

Loc: BH. MI
Hey , no offense piano guy, i just mention all the options cause i didnt know what kind of connectors he had in the back of the u15. Kyle enjoy your new module.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Knabe WG48 Opinions?
by stevetothink
12/22/14 10:58 AM
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
12/22/14 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
12/22/14 09:29 AM
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160052 Topics
2350467 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission