2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
After approximately 10 months of ownership, several of the keys on my Kawai CA 91 have developed a squeak... I'm not happy!

I believe others have had similar problems with their AWA PRO II actions.

I bought my CA 91 from a large dealer in Rome at a very good price but, when I had a minor problem earlier this year (turned out to be only a loose connector), I had the devil's own job arranging for a service call here in Germany. To be honest, and notwithstanding warranty issues, I'd prefer to cure the squeaking keys myself, if at all possible!

Michael
C
C
Hey cruiser, I'm feelin you on this one. I bought my ca-91 last november.I just put in my second call yesterday for the same squeaky key as last time, first c above middle c. I think he lubed it but the squeak has returned. I am like you and can probably fix this myself so I will watch the tech closely this time to see how he opens the piano up and if you need a key or not to do it. I like the action on my mp8 but have also gotten use to the advantage of the action on the ca-91. The new awa pro II is still a very decent action and I'm trying not to get disappointed with this problem. I called kawai directly but they really didn't have much useful information.I'll be tracking this thread for info. Good Luck......

M
M
Hi Cruiser.

You can do it yourself, if you have reasonable mechanical aptitude, just take it slowly and proceed logically. You may get away with just cleaning and relubricating the key slip-tapes with teflon powder, but if the tapes are damaged they will have to be renewed. No doubt our roman friends will supply tape and powder [they supplied me, via their supplier]. Be careful when you remove each key not to lose or mix the shims on the key pivot points or you will have fun relevelling the keys. Even Kawai have difficulty doing this! I've been trying to remember the dismantling sequence but my memory's not so good. If you PM me with an email address I can send a pic of the exposed keyboard.

Best of luck

Bechstein C 1890, Rebuilt
Bechstein V 1888, Project
M
M
Just seen Clint B's post. No special tools needed.

Bechstein C 1890, Rebuilt
Bechstein V 1888, Project
cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Clint B and maserman1!

I'm an aircraft electrical engineer by trade and so I guess I probably have the ability to carry out the repair myself. Following maserman1's advice I've e-mailed the Roman supplier to ask if they can send the tape and teflon powder. In the meantime, I'm reluctant to play the piano in case of aggravating the problem.

Michael
S
S

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by sieg66:
Have you seen this thread ? http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/5199.html
Very useful... thanks sieg66!

Did you dismantle your own Kawai and if so, how did you remove that top panel... ?

Shirakawa, can you help please?

EDIT: I've removed the top panel and the sliding keyboard cover.

Michael
S
S
Hi cruiser,

I've not decided to open mine for the moment, but I'm tempted to do so in order to regulate what can be regulated.

You can also look this link http://web.archive.org/web/20050213160751/home.austin.rr.com/johner/action.htm

I have sent a PM to Shirakawa to ask him if he can give us the instructions to open the DP.

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I've managed to dismantle my Kawai in order to get access to the keyboard action... the only problem which remains is to acquire the correct lubricant for the small pads which sit at the end of the wooden keys. My understanding is that it is a Teflon powder of some description.

EDIT: I'll follow maserman1's advice re' the lubricant

Michael
S
S
I've no reply from shirakawa for the moment. Can you explain how you managed to open your kawai ? I heard that the difficult part is removing the cover.

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I've no reply from shirakawa for the moment. Can you explain how you managed to open your kawai ? I heard that the difficult part is removing the cover.
Removing the top panel was the easiest part sieg66... three screws at the rear in the short vertical metal ventilation panel and you slide the top panel forward slightly and lift it off (complete with the aforementioned ventilation panel).

Michael
S
S
Thanks, but sorry I meant the keys cover. Shirakawa once said that he had to remove the gears under the key cover.

cruiser Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, but sorry I meant the keys cover. Shirakawa once said that he had to remove the gears under the key cover.
You don't have to remove the pinions (plastic gears). If you look very closely at Shirakawa's photos you'll see that he's removed the screws on the inside of the gears (screwed directly into the gear shaft) which act as stops for the gear pinions - mine were very tight! When you then loosen (not remove) the screws which attach the gears themselves, you can slide the gears inwards. This enables the top side of the cover to be lifted up and away from the guides. To remove the lower end you simply 'twist' the cover (raise one side, lower the other). Then you can remove the cover complete.

I realise it's difficult to convey this process in words alone but I hope this helps smile

Michael
S
S
Thanks cruiser smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission