2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I'm starting to look for a digital piano/keyboard to replace my Kurzweil PC88.
My priority is most grand-like action. I've found a couple that claim to have a realistic hammer action with escapement.
This seems like an important feature to achieve realism.
Is anybody familiar with this? The models I've found (internet surfing) are Roland HP-7, Viscount Sonata, and possibly some GEM models (don't know if they are still in production).
I'm assuming when they say escapement that it means the keyboard simulates the weighting of a real grand action, i.e. reduced down-weight at point of letoff, reduced up-weight, etc.
Any input appreciated.

C
C
Quoting from Larry Fine's "The Piano Book", escapement or letoff is "When the hammer is about 1/8 inch from the sting, the "toe" of the jack (if you look at the jack as a boot) contacts the letoff button, causing the top of the jack to pivot out from under the hammer butt."

This allows the hammer to travel the last 1/8 inch on it's own and rebound. If you push down slowly on a key you can feel this letoff point by the change in resistance.

My Roland KR577 has this escapement feel simulated into its action as do Rolands other KR series digitals I believe.

I am not sure of the value of it but I think it is kind of a neat feature making the action as realistic as possible campared to an accoustic.

I recently tryed a Roland HP 3 I think it was which did not have the simulated escapement and it was noticable. A person would get used to it either way I suppose.

Craig

No piano industry association. Amateur interests in playing and technical aspects of piano.
J
OP Offline
J
Craig,
Thanks for your input. I'll check out the KR series as well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The following Roland products have escapement: KR7, KR15, KR17, HP7, KR577, KR977, KR1077, and HP557.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Luke's Dad,
I was wondering if any of the other Rolands had it. For some reason, when I checked the comparison chart on their website, I only saw the escapement listed on the HP-7 but hadn't come across the KR models.
I'll check them out.

Check out some the new Roland Models:
The HP107, HPi7

C
C
I purchased the KR-7 (I've had it for 1 week now)with one of the reasons being the inclusion of the escapement feature. The dealer had a 9-ft Steinway grand right next to the Roland digitals, and I could compare the touch and sound - it's quite amazing how close they are. One benefit of escapement is that it allows you to play the same note very rapidly in succession with ease. I tested passages of Liszt's "Mephisto Waltz" to make sure I wouldn't be frustrated by an inappropriate response from the Roland. You can actually feel the "click" as you press down slowly on the key (both the Steinway and the Roland).

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks all for the input. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission