Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#695979 - 01/15/08 05:59 AM HP203 new pics
Jared88 Offline

Loc: Cincinnati

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#695980 - 01/15/08 02:16 PM Re: HP203 new pics
gluttny Offline

Loc: Austria
what can i say, WoW!!! Roland HP203 is superb DP from my test experience in a shop. congratulations.

pity this was out of my budget range but then i hope my daughter gets more interest in piano so i can buy her silent Yamaha piano which i also tested in a shop.

#695981 - 01/15/08 08:25 PM Re: HP203 new pics
Wandering Weezard Offline

Loc: Indiana
Congratulations on the new piano! And thanks for providing pictures, it's nice to see people's digital piano setups as well

#695982 - 01/16/08 02:00 PM Re: HP203 new pics
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Now when do we get to hear it? \:D
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#695983 - 01/16/08 04:13 PM Re: HP203 new pics
DogT Offline

Loc: VA
Jared,

I have tried the 203 and 207 recently. They are very nice. My problem is for some reason my fingernails click all over the keyboard on the Rolands and it is very disturbing to me. I don't notice it on other pianos. Any suggestions for me other than to remove the nails?

#695984 - 01/17/08 04:51 AM Re: HP203 new pics
Jared88 Offline

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'll try to post some recordings later today \:\)

DogT,

I can sympathize for that, my fingers nails click all over the keyboard as well...No matter how short I cut them.

#695985 - 01/17/08 10:02 AM Re: HP203 new pics

Perhaps Dog & Jared, you are playing too far on the tips of your fingers. You really should be pressing on the softer portion of the finger. If you press your thumb and forefinger (finger 2) like you're going to pinch something, that is similar to the angle your fingers should be to the piano keys. Don't think 90 degrees (vertical), but more like 45 degrees, while keeping the fingers curved. This is a more natural curve to the hand, like it is when you just let your arm hang down, completely relaxed. The hand has that same natural curve which you should use when you play. Then unless you have really long fingernails, you should have a problem. DogT, As for why this happens to you on a Roland, perhaps it is the escapement that is making you change your technique slightly to compensate for the extra resistance? Just an idea.

#695986 - 01/17/08 04:09 PM Re: HP203 new pics
DogT Offline

Maybe my technique is changing because of the Roland key action. I don't know. They even clacked on the HP201 which does not have the "escapement feature". I kind of wonder if it is what the keys are made of. Maybe I could work on my technique with the Rolands and they would be ok, but I don't want to spend at least $1700 to find out I just can't stand it. The Yamahas had an even harder action and my fingernails didn't clack on them, although I really didn't like the stiff action. They have a nice spread of prices and versions though.

#695987 - 01/17/08 04:51 PM Re: HP203 new pics

Remember that the action can be adjusted to a certain degree on many of these pianos, depending on the model, so be sure to ask the salesperson how to do that so you can test the different levels. At the time I went, the salesguy wasn't there, so I was on my own and didn't know how to make the adjustment.

#695988 - 01/17/08 06:08 PM Re: HP203 new pics
eJohn Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Based on what you describe, the issue must be the weight of the action, since it does not seem to depend on the escapement, and since the key surface materials vary among the Roland models.

One thing that is different about the Rolands is that the action IS actually slightly heavier than on most digitals (though not as heavy as the heaviest accoustic pianos). I have measured the weight needed to get the keys to make a sound using stacked quarters: The new Rolands need 16, while Yamaha (eg CLP-230) needs 15, and Kawais need 14 or less. Adjusting the action on any of these only changes the quality of tone produced, not the physical weight of the key.

BTW, Morodiene is right - for good piano technique, it is better to play more with the pad of your finger than the finger tip.

-Eric

#695989 - 01/17/08 11:09 PM Re: HP203 new pics
DogT Offline

This is very interesting, because I found the Roland DP KBs to be lighter than the Yamahas and about equivalent to the Casio, and of course the Kawais lighter than any.

Just my feelings which are not scientific at all, very subjective and of course I had to try the different pianos at different places and times, but my wife did agree with me.

#695990 - 01/17/08 11:29 PM Re: HP203 new pics
Jared88 Offline

#695991 - 01/18/08 09:49 AM Re: HP203 new pics
gluttny Offline

this is strange to hear, what do you mean with fingernails clicking? i am very basis in playing a piano but have no such problem on any Rolands including. actually for keyboard i would rate Roland and Yamaha on top, Casio is very good as well although feels a bit clunky, surprisingly Kawai comes the last and was the worst for me personally.

#695992 - 01/18/08 09:54 AM Re: HP203 new pics
gluttny Offline

DogT, try playing Roland for more than a minute and you can feel that in your fingers. i felt Rolands keys are not that easy.

what i do not like about keybeds on most DPs is when you play intensively and hit the keys you hear and feel mechanic sound so obvious like the key is hitting a wall. this is unlike on a normal acoustic which plays smoothly. is it something wrong with me or is it correct observation? and passages between soft and hard playing are difficult.

#695993 - 01/18/08 12:28 PM Re: HP203 new pics
eJohn Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I don't know any objective measure of key mechanical noise, but I suppose it is possible that DPs have more of it than real pianos. It is also possible, that you often play a DP at a lower volume than you would a real piano. In that case, the mechanical noise of a digital would be *proportionally* greater relative to the sound of the note. There is no way to "turn off" the sound of the note on an acoustic piano.

One other thing about key weight. For years I played a Technics digital with a relatively light action (14 stacked quarters, similar to the Kawais). During that time I always struggled on acoustic pianos. But after 2 months with my new Roland HP-207 (16 quarters), I can go back and forth between the DP and most acoustics with no problem. The small difference in weight of the action seems to really matter.

#695994 - 01/20/08 03:00 PM Re: HP203 new pics
gluttny Offline

eJohn, I would say to know how stiff are piano keys you must play it a bit, touching keys without playing is not enough.

Another observation, this Saturday I popped to one musical shop looking for something, and could not hold from trying uprights and grand acoustic pianos standing there. So guess what? I saw four Steinway grand pianos lining up there, different models from different years, the oldest was from 1977. I tried all of them, and felt there was some difference in every of them, then I tried other names and every brand had its own feel and touch. Some acoustics had keys very soft and very near what Roland does, others had it more Yamaha way, and sound… ouch, you never have the same sound between different makes and models. So I believe one must rely on his own feeling and ear instead of trying to find an ideal instrument. Every DP has its own character as well, even same Casio AP500 is a bit different in some nuances from PX800, believe it or not.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 42 invisible), 2032 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156067 Topics
2291784 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
And what about this one?
by leel
4 minutes 27 seconds ago
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
8 minutes 14 seconds ago
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
34 minutes 21 seconds ago
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
Today at 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
Today at 01:31 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission