Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#696968 - 01/22/02 03:44 PM Which Has The Better Sound?
MusicLover Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I'm a new piano player that is currently on the market for a digital piano, and as you might guess, I'm having trouble deciding. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Roland KR377, Yamaha CLP ?, or Technics SX-PR703.

Each dealer that I have gone to says that the Technics is older technology and I would be better off with a Roland or Yamaha, but the sound seems to be so much more fuller and clearer on the Technics. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, I've found the prices to be phenomenal for pianos at www.pianodepot.com. Has anyone had any experiences with them? Any pluses or negatives to buying from the net as opposed to a dealer. I know I can save thousands from Piano Depot, but I'm wondering if there's a "gotcha" in there somewhere. Thanks. :rolleyes:

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#696969 - 01/22/02 03:53 PM Re: Which Has The Better Sound?
Rob Brockman Offline

Loc: Seattle
It can be really dangerous to buy online. I was shopping for a CLP9?? for a long time (well, 2 months), and I found a store in Europe online called musicproducts.com Turns out, they were there only as a "thorn in the side of Yamaha" because the man who runs the site is a former disgruntled worker of Yamaha. Pretty outrageous, huh?

As far as comparisons, I didn't like the Technics because the sound in the bottom octave is so processed. It just sounded "fake." I don't know if this helps, but I hope so.

#696970 - 01/22/02 08:09 PM Re: Which Has The Better Sound?
Diarmuid Offline

This is the best site I know of for comparisons of digital piano samples:
http://www.purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

#696971 - 01/23/02 02:12 AM Re: Which Has The Better Sound?
Shadorunnr Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City
MusicLover, buying online or from a mailorder catalog has plusses and minuses. The main benefit is that they are usually cheaper, however, you can't get to try the products out first. Some companys have a return policy if you don't like it. The biggest problem is it tends to put local music companys out of business. If you need something you just can't run down to the local store and get it, they are gone, and if you need it TODAY .... forget it. Shopping locally and buying online or from a catalog maybe a great deal for you, but it wastes the salespersons time and gives nothing in return to the local company. If you intend to make a major purchase online, be sure to make several other purchases locally, to support your local business. You can use the online price to try to get a better deal locally, but many companys simply cannot match their prices, but they may go down on the price some to get your business. As for which piano to get, my suggestion is to find the piano with the best action you can find. Many of the digitals simply do not feel like a real piano action. You feel resistance and the sensation of the key hitting the keybed, not the feeling of the hammer hitting a string and the mechanical workings within a real action. After you find the action you like, if the sound is not what you like, you take advantage of the MIDI output and get a piano module with the sound you do like. There are several companys that specialize in piano modules that offer excellent sound without the "geewiz" factor of sounds you may never use. (How many times do yo really need a helicopter sound?) As the technology improves, you can upgrade the module if you like with far less money than upgrading the entire keyboard.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (36251, Alex1, acortot, a-z0-9, 42 invisible), 1626 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156073 Topics
2291915 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
Today at 05:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission