Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
133 registered (Anita Potter, AZNpiano, Auver, A Guy, AndyP, accordeur, 47 invisible), 1432 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#697837 - 06/06/03 12:41 PM Expansion boards
Ashley Tibbs Offline

Loc: MS
I am currently familiarizing myself with digital keyboard terms and technology pursuant to buying a digital keyboard sometime in the next 3-4 months. Two questions:

1. What are expansion boards?

2. What kind/level digital keyboard will $3000 get you?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#697838 - 06/06/03 09:27 PM Re: Expansion boards
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
1. What are expansion boards?
Hi Ashley,
Expansion Boards are basically an extra bundle of sounds that can be added to a keyboard at a later date. They usually come in the form of a small circuit board that can be popped into a slot in the keyboard. That sounds kind of scary, but it's really not. You don't need to know anything about anything to do this. It literally just "pops" right into the keyboard. The coolest thing about expansion boards is the that a two or three year old keyboard can play new, state-of-the-art sounds by adding an expansion board. This protects your initial keyboard investment and provides extra longevity. As a professional keyboard player, I used to have to buy new keyboards almost every year. Now, i can stretch a keyboard's usefulness by several years. I reguarly use an eight year old keyboard that is loaded with new expansion boards! Although Roland first introduced this, most manufacturers offer this feature on some of their keyboards.

Quote:
2. What kind/level digital keyboard will $3000 get you?
That's difficult to answer. It really depends on what features you're looking for, as well as personal preference. If you're looking for something that has furniture appeal, that will add to the price. "Touch screens" and other interactive features also add to the price. But if you're just looking for a great feel and great sound, then $3k should be fine (but then again, that's my own personal opinion).

#697839 - 06/09/03 10:28 AM Re: Expansion boards
Ashley Tibbs Offline

SteveY

Thanks a lot for the information. It should sharpen my edge while shopping around.

As to your response to my second question, I'm less interested in touch screens and other so-called "bells and whistles", as useful and interesting as they apparently are, and more interested in a good piano/organ/harpsichord sound(s). If I buy a Yamaha CLP 150 (I believe that's the nomenclature) for example, could an expansion board provide a sample of other pianos (Steinway, Baldwin, etc.), or would the variety of sounds available to me be merely expanded, giving me access to sounds not provided on the CLP?

Again, I appreciate the information. These forums are highly interesting and informative.

Ashley

#697840 - 06/09/03 11:56 AM Re: Expansion boards
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
Ashley, I don't believe any of the "home digital" pianos (Yamaha CLP and CVP, Roland HP and KR, etc.) accomodate expansion boards. Expansion boards are usually available only for "professional" stage keyboards which don't have nice cases, electronic features like styles, etc. - they're just keyboards with built-in sounds. Most often they don't even include built-in speakers. They are substantially less expensive, however,and usually have the same samples and keyboards as the home models.

If you go with a home digital piano (such as the CLP150) you can add sounds with midi sound modules. These are separate hardware boxes that plug into your piano's midi ports. Most of the big electronic music companies make them. At the very top end, you can interface a computer running software like GigaStudio or Kontakt which use huge samples (since they "play" off the hard disk) and provide the very best quality sounds. Such a setup (which is what I use with my Yamaha CVP900) could cost as much as the CLP! Any of this stuff can be added in the future if you want, since it just plugs in.

#697841 - 06/10/03 01:23 PM Re: Expansion boards
Ashley Tibbs Offline

JimM,

Thanks for the information. In fact, I just saw an advert for GigaStudio in "Keyboard" magazine. Some of the samples available include a Bosendorfer Imperial, an Estonia, and a rebuilt 1960 Hamburg Steinway. Unbelievable software. I'm saving $$ for such even as I type...

Thanks,

Ashley

#697842 - 06/10/03 01:48 PM Re: Expansion boards
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
You're welcome. There are at least a dozen very good pianos available for Gigastudio. Ones that I particularly like include:

Bardstown Bosendorfer. A very versatile piano with lots of variations (www.bardstownaudio.com)

Post Audio Steinway and Bosendorfer. He also has some great harpsichords and fortepianos (www.postaudiomedia.com)

Vintage Audio Yamaha C7 and Steinway/Clinton uprights (www.vintaudio.com)

ArtVista Malmsjo (www.artvista.net) "Grieg's piano"

Bigga Gigga Malmsjo. Very different sound from ArtVista's Malmsjo. He also offers a slightly detuned "Rain Piano" that is just splendid for some kinds of music. (www.biggagiggas.com)

More are coming along all the time, and all of the developers post demos on their sites. There are also a few free ones - a Yamaha comes with the software (GigaPiano) and a few musicians have done their own and put them into the public domain.

All of these pianos have very different characteristics - some are best for classical, some pop, some jazz, etc.

A word about Gigastudio - it is indeed powerful software, and with power comes complexity. You need a very fast computer and two very fast hard disks to run it to full capacity. You'll also need an audio card and midi interface. If you're handy with the technology you can probably assemble the hardware for under $1,500 USD. The software will cost another $400 or so (for the maximum polyphony of 160 voices) and the samples run from $100 to $200 each.

A good place to learn about this is the Northernsounds BBS at www.northernsounds.com
The "samples" forum is the most active. Many of the participants are composers, some very well-known, who use these systems in lieu of live musicians for hearing their compositions. You can also learn about competitors to Gigastudio - Halion, Kontakt, etc.
jim

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
33 minutes 9 seconds ago
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
54 minutes 41 seconds ago
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
Today at 06:45 PM
Problems with the forum
by Peter071
Today at 06:34 PM
A 4ths and 5ths sequence
by Gerry Johnston
Today at 06:26 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160000 Topics
2349605 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission