2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
OK,

So a lot of people on the forum recommend monitor speakers with their digitals for practicing / home playing.

I just looked at some of the Berringer Truth's specs and they are rate from 50 Hz.

The lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hz.

Would you not be wanting a subwoofer to cover the lowest octave on the piano accurately?

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
These will go down to 20Hz.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP5 for about $150 EACH !

I don't have any active monitors yet so can't comment on the response of any speaker trying to hit that low A if they are rated for only 50Hz. Something will come out. Either a distorted wave or one without much amplitude (speculation).

Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
So a lot of people on the forum recommend monitor speakers with their digitals for practicing / home playing.

I just looked at some of the Berringer Truth's specs and they are rate from 50 Hz.

The lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hz.

Would you not be wanting a subwoofer to cover the lowest octave on the piano accurately?
It depends on personal taste. I wouldn't find significant advantage to a subwoofer for piano.

At those frequencies the ear is less responsive anyway and the major benefit is in feeling rather than hearing. The second harmonic is well within the range of monitors. Don't forget that the monitors will still be producing sound at the bass fundamentals, just at lower volume. They don't suddenly cut off at 50Hz

Digital Fake Book
Free Chord/Lyric Display Software for Windows.
http://mike-warren.net/digitalfakebook/
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I would think that a sub for home use would be overkill for a digital piano.
There are some really nice monitors in the $300-700 range today that hopefully would give you the low end you're looking for.

At those frequencies the ear is less responsive anyway and the major benefit is in feeling rather than hearing. The second harmonic is well within the range of monitors. Don't forget that the monitors will still be producing sound at the bass fundamentals, just at lower volume. They don't suddenly cut off at 50Hz
Yes, they will still be trying to produce the fundamental, but they will suck at it and it simply gobbles amplifier power without giving much in return (some nice rumble). A decent subwoofer will filter out the lows so the monitors stop flailing at somthing they aren't good at, keeping their sound clean and letting the sub do what its good at. It takes a little tweaking of the gain controls to balance to each person's preferences, but pretty much set it once and forget it after that.

I came into this world with nothing, and I still have most of it left.
You mightg want to look at KRK VXT 4 monitors. They are new. I was in the music store today and they had 2 Korg M3 hooked up to a set of KRK VXT 4 & KRK VXT 6. I set it on their piano and played the lowest and highest notes. To my ears, the "4s" sounded better than the "6s" They had more of the midrange of note. They are also only $299 a piece versus $449 and small enough to fit anywhere. I am anxious to hear how my Kawai MP8 sounds of them as I am looking to buy some monitors.

Don

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission