Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#698890 - 12/19/04 07:23 AM GH versus GH3
indian pianist Offline

Loc: INDIA
What is the difference betwen the 2.Is it noticeable by a beginner or an intermediate level student or only by the 'grand' masters.All experts are invited

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#698891 - 12/19/04 10:42 AM Re: GH versus GH3
JazzP120 Offline

I personally prefer the GH action. I personally feel that the GH action feels smoother.

Chris

#698892 - 12/19/04 10:13 PM Re: GH versus GH3
pumpkin_waltz Offline

Loc: Singapore...for the moment
Hi indian pianist--

There's a great Yamaha Clavinova's forum www.cvpug.com, you might find it useful if you have questions regarding the product. If I'm not mistaken, GH keyboard's keys are weighted the same across the keys while GH3's keys are weighted gradually heavier from the top (higher register) of the keyboard to the bottom (lower register). This is to simulate real piano's keys.

GH3 is supposedly the newest technology in Yamaha to simulate real piano keys, but I still prefer GH (ok, so I don't have the most exquisite taste for piano \:D ).

I didn't grow up with a great grand piano (just my good ol' acoustic upright;) ). What's supposedly "best" for other people doesn't necessarily justify as the best for me \:\)

Whether it's noticeable or not, you'd have to try them yourself (assuming you will be the one playing the piano). When it comes to the touch and feel of piano, everybody has his/her own personal taste.

Try a couple pianos and choose one that feels and sounds "best" for you, and you'll be happiest with it

#698893 - 12/20/04 06:49 AM Re: GH versus GH3
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
GH (Graded Hammer) is just that, gradually lighter from left to right (in specific zones). There is another type of keyboards called BH (Balanced Hammer) which is also weighted bur has a constant weight across the entire keyboard.

The only difference(s) between GH and GH3 are the mechanics of the keys. The GH3 mechanics more accurately simulate the feel of a real grand (I have to agree with this as the feel of the CLP-170 is fantastic. I also feel that the GH3 is slightly lighter but I've never tested this so it could just be subjective based on the different feel of the mechanism. I also believe that GH3 has more zones so that the difference win weighing is more gradual.

Some people don't like the feel of Yamaha keyboards as they tend to be heavier than others such as Roland. I originally felt this way, but discovered that playing on my Yamaha gear dramatically improved my playing at the acoustic grand (My fingers go much stronger).

As far as I know the GH3 keyboards is only available on the very high end of Yamaha's electric pianos. (CLP-170/175, CVP-305/307/309) I believe that the 175 and 309 also use wooden keys but I haven't had a chance to play these.

Rodney

#698894 - 12/22/04 09:29 AM Re: GH versus GH3
indian pianist Offline

Loc: INDIA
GH3 is supposed to have 2 additional velocity sensors which prevent rapid cut off of the sound as opposed to the GH series Now since I havent played on both of them I wish to know from those who have, whether this is perceptible or it is a marketing gimick.

#698895 - 12/23/04 10:46 AM Re: GH versus GH3
FUNNYDOGNV Offline

Loc: NV USA
I'm too much a beginner to comment on the feel between GH and GH3, so I'll just talk about the electrical/mechanical aspects of the GH3.

There is a picture in http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/epiano-keyboard/clp-170pe/sound-touch.html explaining the GH3 feature. It's in Japanese but you get the idea.

The so-called "velocity sensors" are actually rubber contact switches, not unlike the keys on a calculator or a TV remote. On most digital piano/keyboard there are two such switches, the velocity is sensed by measuring the time it takes between triggering SW(switch) 1 and SW2. The problem with this scheme is the key has to return to SW1 before the keyboard controller can sense the velocity (elapsed time between SW1 and SW2) again for the next down stroke. However, when the key returns to SW1 it also means the key is back to the home position and the tone should be stopped. This is different from an acoustic piano (somebody please verify this, since I've never played one). On an acoustic you can return a key only halfway before you hit it again, and the hammer will strike again, without the damper stopping the string between the two strikes.

On the GH3 there is an additional switch (SW3), so the keyboard can have two velocity measurements, between SW1-2 and between SW2-3. The keyboard can use the velocity data from SW2-3 to generate a new tone, without going back to SW1 (and stop the tone before generating a new one).

I think the GH3 idea can be developed further. With two velocity values one can derive the acceleration of the key, and refine the generated tone further. But there's no evidence to support whether any current GH3 equipped digitals have used such refinement, or whether such refinement would be worthwhile at all.

The GH3 keyboard has 4 weight zones (A1-F3, G3-E3, F3-D5, E5-C7, black keys similar). Don't know how many zones are in the GH (anyone who knows please share your knowledge). The only indicated new parts on the GH3 are the circuit boards, the rubber contact pads, and the stopper felt (the one hit by the hammers). The keys and hammers seem to be identical on GH and GH3. I do know as a fact that GH and GH3 keys are interchangeable.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
62 registered (bennevis, 36251, Beemer, beeboss, angga888, 16 invisible), 1125 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325580 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission