Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#699497 - 05/24/04 02:39 AM Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
Frungy Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Hi everyone. I've recently moved to Japan, and I'm looking for a digital piano to keep my fingers in shape. I've previously played for 20 years on acoustic pianos, but decided that due to cost and room size, digital was the way to go.

That said, I'd like some help in selecting a piano. My concerns:

1. Cost preferably around $1000, less is better
2. The usual weighted keys, heavier on lower registers, but I would also like the keys to be VERY weighted. The acoustic piano I used before was a heavy Steinway, so my fingers got a workout, but I was also able to play quiet dolce sounds much better. I've found a lot of digital pianos to be too sensitive on the quieter tones, making it hard for me to be more expressive.
3. Same goes for the pedal- a lot of digital pedals I've used seem to be either "on" or "off". Are there "weighted pedals" as well?
4. Sound isn't that important- I mostly want the touch to be as realistic as possible.

Also, is there a significant difference in the sound quality between the portable stage pianos and the furniture type models, assuming I am using earphones? I imagine the stage ones have smaller speakers, or no speakers, but is there a difference?

If I'm expecting too much out of a digital piano, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Dan

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#699498 - 05/24/04 03:50 AM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
Your probably asking for to much out of a digital. That said:

1. I'd suggest looking at a Yamaha P90 or Roland FP-2 to start out.

2. You'll really need to try-before-you-buy to make a good decision (based on your personal preference), also keep in mind that many (if not most) digitals have multiple "weight" settings, so try them at the different settings.

3. Some digitals (or is it pedals? I must be tired...yeah, I am...and half out of it too) have half pedal capability, I'm not entirely sure exactly how this works, maybe someone else will chime in.

Also, the sound produced via the earphone jack, the internal speakers (if applicable), and the external output can differ. Many stage pianos do not have internal speakers and are generally pro grade, as opposed to the non-stage ones (or consumer grade). Typically the best sound are found at the pro level, although this can vary at price increments. Your best bet is to try as many as possible and for your own opinions on weight/sound and see if they're offerings are good enough for your needs (with 20 years experience you shouldn't have to much of a problem).

#699499 - 05/24/04 10:36 AM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Also, at $1000, you're looking at entry-level products. You can't expect to get Steinway-type performance out of any digital piano -- but you're much more likely to be disappointed at that price point.

#699500 - 05/24/04 11:42 AM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Steve is absolutely right. I think you would be much more happy with something in the $2k and $3k range. For example, I was extremely impressed with my 5 minutes on the Yamaha P250.

"Sound isn't that important- I mostly want the touch to be as realistic as possible."

This sounds reasonable on the surface, but actually it turns out that sound greatly influences your perception of touch. A piano with a dull, mellow tone will feel a lot more heavy than the same exact piano with a bright tone. The brighter piano feels easier to play. Also, the better tone quality and more dynamic and responsive the sound the better the action will feel to you. Not to mention the fact that you will play a good sounding piano so much more than a poor sounding piano. So I would advise not to skimp on sound quality - it's a big part of the whole picture.

Ryan

#699501 - 05/24/04 07:56 PM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
mark2048 Offline

Take a look at the yamaha p120. Yamahas in general have the heaviest action of all the digitals I've tried (except for casio). It also is able to recognize half-pedaling. Haven't tried the pedal on it, but it looks like it comes with a metallic piano-style pedal, not a plastic footswitch.

Sells for $1199 on most web sites, music stores.

-mark

#699502 - 05/25/04 01:31 AM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
Frungy Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the responses. Yamaha seems to be the name that's cropping up most often... are Korg and Roland more for sound mixers/professional band musician types? And whenever I think of Casio, I think of toys and not serious products...

When pianos from a similar brand, like Yamaha P60, 90, 120, 250 increase in price, is it mostly due to improvement in speaker quality, or internal sound generation? When I'm practicing, I'll probably use earphones, but I'd also like some kind of speaker so that I can play for friends and not have to lug around a speaker system.

#699503 - 05/25/04 02:22 AM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
Zymtil Offline

The Yamaha P90 does not have internal speakers the p120 does (although the p90 is newer and has updated samples)

The Roland FP-2 and FP-5 have built in speakers, the FP-3 (which was recently discontinued) does not.

The increase in price can be due to many factors such as: polyphony, sample quality, number of voices, whether or not it has built in speakers, and all the other bells and whistles.

Don't limit yourself to only trying out only Yamaha and Roland models (if nothing else to help you guage what's available), if you get the chance try out some Kawai, Technics, Korg, Kurtzweil models. Casio still has that stigmatism for being considered as toys, but their new PX series is supposed to be pretty nice (I still haven't had a chance to try any of them out yet, so...).

#699504 - 05/25/04 05:14 PM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
p120Man Offline

Loc: USA
Save up and buy the p120. It is absolutely superb. If you cannot afford the p120, then go with its little brother, the p90, which is ok, but not the same superb quality of the p120.

But save up for the p120, you will absolutely love it.

Regards,
p120dUdE

The Yamaha P120 is da bomb! It rocks! It is superb, fantastic, awesome!

*Yamaha P120 Stage Piano*Yamaha CS1X Synthesizer

#699505 - 05/26/04 10:47 AM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by p120mAn:
the p90, which is ok, but not the same superb quality of the p120.[/b]

#699506 - 05/26/04 12:09 PM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
Zymtil Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gryphon:
 Quote:
Originally posted by p120mAn:
the p90, which is ok, but not the same superb quality of the p120.[/b]
[/b]
I'm with gryphon on this one.

#699507 - 05/26/04 08:37 PM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
petros Offline

Nobody should have to pay more than $950-1000 for a new P120, dealers get them for about $750 or less. The advertised price of $1,199 is the MAP or an industry agreement not to advertise less than that so as to avoid a price war. It does not limit any dealer from selling the P120 for far less if you ask them to sell it for less. Some will oblige in order to make the sale, others will be stubborn and stingy and refuse.

#699508 - 05/27/04 02:29 PM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
p120Man Offline

Loc: USA
Rintincop, the retail price is $1,495. They sell around $1,100.

Regards,
p120dUdE

The Yamaha P120 is da bomb! It rocks! It is superb, fantastic, awesome!

*Yamaha P120 Stage Piano*Yamaha CS1X Synthesizer

#699509 - 05/27/04 02:41 PM Re: Digital piano for longtime acoustic player
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I highly doubt dealers get them for $750 or less. With a list of $1495, dealer cost would be just under $900.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (aesop, Allard, ajames, accordeur, alans, 31 invisible), 1570 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75893 Members
42 Forums
156828 Topics
2304413 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Tuning Database
by Sean Montgomery
Today at 05:35 AM
POSTING PICTURES
by bluebilly
Today at 03:19 AM
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
Today at 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission