2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#699574 03/14/03 08:19 AM
K
ksk Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi,
about 3 month ago I bought a P80 and picked up playing after some 10 years away from the piano. I am pretty pleased with my progress so far, however, I feel that my fingers are getting tired way too fast.

I normally use the grand piano patch with medium touch, which I imaging is quite heavy? Sometimes I just can't resist switching to the jazz piano patch which feels so easy compared to the grand piano patch.

Have anyone compared the heaviness/touch of the P80 with a typical grand piano. Which one is heavier?

Thanks,
ksk

#699575 03/14/03 10:43 AM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ksk:
I feel that my fingers are getting tired way too fast.

I normally use the grand piano patch with medium touch, which I imaging is quite heavy?
Have anyone compared the heaviness/touch of the P80 with a typical grand piano. Which one is heavier?

Thanks,
ksk
Hi KSK, and welcome...

I keep a P80 in my office. I find the medium touch to be about that of an average acoustic piano. You may be trying to do too much, too quickly after being away from it for 10 years.

I would say a "typical" grand has a heavier touch, of course, that depends on what you consider "typical".

Try warming up with some simple exercises first, take your time and build up your technique slowly, it will come.

- Frank B.
Piano World

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

#699576 03/14/03 05:22 PM
K
ksk Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you Frank for both your welcome and your answer. I guess it takes some time to build up the endurance...

It's a little frustrating though, not being able to keep up the left hand tremolo of the pathetique the second time around. I'm also having some problems with the right hand in the fantasie impromptu after a couple of pages smile

I'll try not to cheat too much with the jazz patch.

/ksk

#699577 03/29/03 06:02 AM
K
K
I play the P-80 and my grand is the C-3, which I believe is the source of the Yamaha piano samples (or at least some of them.) However, I find the grand a heavier touch than even the "hard" setting on the digital.

That said, I don't really consider either one a heavy touch. I would prefer both to be quite a bit heavier. All depends on what you are used to and what you like.

I'm a very "physical" player. I respond with a closer connection to the performance when I get back something from the keys. Kinda like driving a stick shift car as opposed to an automatic clutch. I'm much more focused on driving.

If you dig Jazz visit
http://www.apassion4jazz.net
#699578 04/17/03 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ksk:
Hi,
about 3 month ago I bought a P80 and picked up playing after some 10 years away from the piano. I am pretty pleased with my progress so far, however, I feel that my fingers are getting tired way too fast.

I normally use the grand piano patch with medium touch, which I imaging is quite heavy? Sometimes I just can't resist switching to the jazz piano patch which feels so easy compared to the grand piano patch.

Thanks,
ksk
I recently aquired a P80 to use when it's inconvenient to practice my grand. I use the grand piano/hard touch settings. It's still not quite as heavy as my grand, a Kawai GS-40, but it's close enough to get in some productive practicing. I really like my P80.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission