Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#69975 - 03/27/02 10:02 AM Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Hi, folks:

this may not be a fair question to ask when you all can't see the actual piano, but I'm going to ask anyway! \:D

I have a friend who is seriously considering a 1922 Seiler 5'8" grand that has been rebuilt.

ASSUMING the rebuild was complete done well (I'm not sure if this is the case), what is a fair price? They are asking $24K.

I've already passed on the advice to get their own tech to take a look at this piano but I am clueless as to its actual value-- even a ballpark price. $24K seems high to me, but perhaps not.

Again, let's assume that all is right with this piano, and it's received a solid bill of health from the tech.

Thanks tons for any advice/opinions...

Nina

PS: I've played the piano myself and thought it sounded wonderful, nothing noticeably horrible about it, good touch, good responsiveness, etc. FYI

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Nina ]

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#69976 - 03/29/02 11:10 AM Re: Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Any ideas, folks? PLEEEEEZ!!

Thx
Nina

#69977 - 03/29/02 12:20 PM Re: Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
A rebuilder would know for sure. But please consider this: for just about the same money, one can get a brand new 6'3" Seiler (ebony, plain wrap).

I can't see paying more than $18k for it, but that's a stab in the dark. The actual market price may in fact be lower. Seiler is not a big name in the U.S.

penny

#69978 - 03/29/02 12:40 PM Re: Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Paul Spitzer Offline

Loc: Seattle
The price sounds very high unless it is a highly attractive art case piano or had an excellent recent restoration. That's just an opinion.

Why not look at pianomart.com for other higher quality pianos offered by dealers. The Piano Book will list names of similar quality instruments. I would exclude private sellers since they often have little idea of what the market will pay. There are also numerous dealer sites on the web where you can check out prices.

Finally, is this piano more appealing than say a $18-20,000 (negotiated price, not list) new piano? Assuming the Seiler is in very good shape, the $6-4,000 difference allows for discernible usage, unseen wear, dealer profit and lack of support. I am probably undervaluing the difference because I like old pianos.

#69979 - 03/29/02 03:22 PM Re: Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Niles Duncan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pasadena, CA
I's difficult to say what this piano is "worth" because in a situation like this value has more to do with a buyer's perception of value than the actual quality of the piano, and in most cases the buyer's perception is based primarily on a recognized brand name which Seiler is not. At least in the Los Angeles market where I work when dealing with rebuilt pianos in the over $20K market for most potential buyers perceived value is synonymous with Steinway and that's it, end of story, and don't bother me with pianos by any other maker. The fact that you can get a pretty good rebuilt Steinway in the $25K range should make a rebuilt Seiler no matter how good it is a dead issue at $24K.

Personally as a rebuilder I would be interested in buying a vintage Seiler for rebuilding and resale only if I could pick it up for about $2500, rebuild it, and offer it for sale for a maximum of perhaps $15,000. Any more than that and I'm going to be sitting on unsaleable merchandise. The other thing about this is the only way I'm going to sell it is if someone comes into the shop to look at something else or comes in just looking in general, sees it, and likes it. If I advertise a beautiful rebuilt Seiler that looks and sounds fantastic the phone isn't going to ring. I may as well have a Kimball.

Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, CA
www.pianosource.com

#69980 - 03/29/02 04:35 PM Re: Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. Penny, I had no idea that a new Seiler grand was that, er, cheap. (I can't believe I just wrote that sentence!)

It makes total sense to me that the price of the Seiler would be impacted by name recognition. I'll show my friend these responses and let him decide. It would be great to see/play a new Seiler for comparison's sake. Unfortunately, I doubt there are more than a handful of Seilers, new or used, in the entire Phoenix area.

Thanks again
Nina

#69981 - 03/29/02 09:58 PM Re: Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
6' seiler grands are NOT available ANYWHERE for under $ 25.000.

Including Kitzingen, Germany.

IF they are....state exact location, names and identity numbers of all suspiciously acting salespeople.....shall investigate.

Piano Police.

Norbert Marten
www.heritagepianos.com

#69982 - 03/29/02 11:34 PM Re: Price for Seiler grand 1922?
Penny Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Well, when I was looking a year ago, I was offered $30k for the Westminster model (hope I'm remembering the name correctly. It's the one with mahogany and square panel inlays -- it's considered an art case). I was offered $28K for a regulary mahogany (and with saleman's commission included). So I don't think it's a big jump to say around $24K for a plain-wrap ebony (OK, maybe $25k or $26K, but what's $2,000 among friends?!).

I agree that in this price range, there are many worthy candidates in the bigger 6'3" size. In fact, one could save a couple thousand. But I know what it's like to have a tone in your head. Niles still doesn't believe me how a 1920-ish Grotrian (5'10" I think it was) could sound as haunting as it did. I would have NEVER bought anything from that dealer. But, oh, it sounded so, SO GOOD!

penny

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
94 registered (Beemer, adanepst, AZNpiano, ando, Atrys, angga888, 16 invisible), 1336 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249675 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission